Do you use ceramic knife?

ceramic knife
Guangzhou, China
Besides the metal knives, we also use the ceramic knife today. Since it is sharp and it is easy to clean it. So the ceramic knives have become much more popular today.
My knifes are all wooden and I have had them a long time.
It is my first time to hear about wooden knives. Very natural material!
@owlwings (38896)
• Cambridge, England
I think that you mean 'wooden handled'. The blades, surely, are made of steel?
@ms1864 (6995)
• Bangalore, India
Wooden knifes? Do they stay sharp?
@hereandthere (28957)
we had a ceramic knife once. it was okay. i notice that it would stain, unlike steel knives. then i noticed there was a chip on the blade. then one day it broke. i don't know who because a lot of us here use it, but that was the first and last time we had a ceramic knife.
Perhaps your ceramic knife was fallen on the ground or someone used it in a wrong way, such as chopping the bones.
@owlwings (38896)
• Cambridge, England
I haven't ever used a ceramic knife but I have looked into them with interest. Their main advantages are that they are claimed to stay sharp for up to ten times as long as a steel knife and that the material does not react with any kind of food - acid or alkali. According to one major knife supplier, only the most expensive Kyocera knives are even worth considering. The others are not as sharp as equivalent steel knives. Although ceramic knives claim to stay sharp for much longer than steel knives, both will eventually require sharpening and the only thing which will sharpen a ceramic knife is diamond whereas a steel knife can be kept sharp by honing on a steel honer and reground when necessary using a corundum stone. Ceramic knives are much more brittle than steel knives and cannot be used for cutting through bones or for any operation which involves sideways pressure. I think that a professional cook and anyone who knows how to care for knives would always prefer a steel knife. Here is the link which describes how the supplier I mentioned tested the knives:
Ceramic knives promise to continuesly be extremely sharp. Practice shows different and therefore we don't sell them. Read it here.
@topffer (33287)
• France
Thank you for this link. I never heard of ceramic knives before. Maybe are they more adapted to Chinese food than to Western food ?
• Jamnagar, India
Steel knives are clean to use provided that dont rust. Ceramics don't rust and clean as well. Are they fragile?
It depends on. Try to imagine if the ceramic knife falls on the ground, be sure it will be broken. So it may not be as durable as the metal knives. Ceramic knives can cut the meats, vegetables and so on. However, you can't use it to chop the bones.
Yes I have some, if they fall on the floor they break.
This is the disadvantage of the ceramic knives. But if you are careful to them, they are quite durable.
@youless I have some, but I also have many traditional knives, different shapes for different uses.
@LadyDuck In fact in China sometimes a good metal knife is enough. We often feel confused why foreigners need so many different knives. Our knife can cut or slice the vegetable and meats, it can also chop bones. Perhaps this is the difference between China and foreign cooking style
@MattMeng (3271)
• Hangzhou, China
We always use metal knives.
No plan to try something new?
@MattMeng (3271)
• Hangzhou, China
@youless I can't find it in the supermarket.
@MattMeng That's strange since this product is very common today. But you can always find it easily online.
@rina110383 (24145)
Heard of ceramic knives but haven't tried using one.
Now I have a big ceramic knife to cut meats and a small one to cut the fruits.
@ms1864 (6995)
• Bangalore, India
Yes...I just started using them.....came across them in one of my recent vacations earlier this year. It is crazy sharp!
If it will not fall on the ground, I think it can be used for quite a long time.
I have but I mostly use real ones.
Alright.
@MarymargII (9413)
• Toronto, Ontario
Never really tried one or have I heard of it- sounds interesting.
Perhaps they are available in the supermarket.
• Toronto, Ontario
@youless I will look for one and see if they do!