Darn! Darn! Darn!

The former owners of our house removed a cabinet from above the refrigerator before we moved in. I did repaint the ceiling due to a few spots missed by the former owners, and the ceiling did look perfect. The other day, my husband said, "Take a look at the cracks in the ceiling where that cabinet used to be." The cracks probably appeared due to the settling of the house over time. I have repaired cracks in ceilings and walls before, so no big deal. I found the can of ceiling paint I used to paint kitchen ceiling when we moved into the house. I spread spackling paste over the cracks, sanded the spackling paste when dry, brushed on primer, and then applied the ceiling paint when the primer was dry. This morning, I thought that one more swipe of the roller with the ceiling paint would make the job a perfect one. Apparently, I did not let the paint dry long enough, and the new paint on the ceiling peeled off and stuck to the roller as I applied that "one more coat." So, now I have to start the whole job over. This time around I will give 3 days drying time for spackling paste, then for primer, and finally for paint. Going up and down that ladder is not as easy as it used to be. If I mess up a second time, I am hiring a guy!!!
Yep. Takes that type of thing a bit longer to dry that regular paint...but look at the bright side...you had a 'practice run' so it should come out great this time.
Well, you are the pro at this kind of thing. I really had it looking good, but just had to do one more swipe, and ruined all. I just applied the spackling paste for round 2 and I am letting that stuff dry for a few days.
@sallypup (20675)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I admire you for first getting up and down the ladder and secondly for attempting such a job. For me, cabinets above fridges are useless, I can't access such a cabinet without taking a chance on my safety.
I was thinking the same thing. How do you get your stuff out of a cabinet above a refrigerator easily? We did have a cabinet above the fridge in our old house, and I always needed to get on a chair to reach what was in there.
@sallypup (20675)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 My getting on a chair days are long gone. Good way to need to call 911.
Well you've got one over on me, I can't paint to save my soul, and I'm not at all well-versed in the art of spackling.
Well, I can do most things in the home. I can lay ceramic tile, install baseboard molding, install wallpaper, remove carpeting and padding and carry 2,000 square feet of it out of the house all by myself, paint walls and ceilings and more because I am cheap and my husband does not do a neat enough job. So, now I have re-spackled and will wait two days for step 2. I really am getting too old for this.
@Corbin5 You could have your own Girl-Power DIY Show! That is amazing. Me, I'm a wimp and like things done quickly and efficiently, and mostly by someone who does it everyday for a living, so we hire everything from painting on up out. But that's not to say that we haven't done our fair share of DIY projects in the years gone by.
@Juliaacv My husband did tell me not to use my leg to support the piece of baseboard molding I was sawing. I did saw my leg a bit. Lesson learned. The white baseboard molding did look good, though.
Most of our rooms, ceilings included, are wood so not much paint necessary in this house. Hire someone - it's cheaper in the long run.
Well, I have reapplied the spackle, but if this does not work out, I am calling a pro. I have done this before with success, but was too impatient this time around.
aw, hugs! 'n a positive note, 't least'ja got all the supplies still handy i reckon. i admire ya fer tacklin' such, hon. i used to, now those sort'a thingies 're jest left. the hubs seems not to care one iota.
@Corbin5 yer fella, too?? the one here aint 'llowed to e'en touch a paint brush! i think they're that way though coz they know we'll tend 't.... dang 'em.
@crazyhorseladycx Yep, we married the same kind of guy. Oh well, we'll keep 'em!
@Corbin5 jest coz nobody else'd want 'em
@miniam (9304)
• Bern, Switzerland
Something learned.Like you, l hate going up ladders
I know. Years ago, no problem with any home repair, but the older I get, the harder it is.
@miniam (9304)
• Bern, Switzerland
@Corbin5 as we get older,things that looked like a child play get harder and harder.Still glad you could do it and learn something doing it.
@Corbin5 I used to do a lot too, but not anymore, not strong enough anymore.
@quantum2020 (8335)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
I think it´s a better idea to hire someone to do the painting, so you will have more time for other things and let the painter do his job
Well, if this does not work out the second time around, I am hiring a pro! The spackle for round 2 is drying now, but will give it a few more days before step 2.
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
@Corbin5 I hope you are able to complete the job, so it will save you some money
@quantum2020 Thank you my friend.
I hope it works the second time around. It one of those live and learn kinds of things. I am sure everything will work out better now that you know where the problem was the first time.
Yes, I was not allowing enough drying time, so hopefully, the next time around will work.
Hopefully it takes the second time around.
I hope so too. A messy job it is.
@ms1864 (6969)
• Bangalore, India
ah...that's frustrating! Though it should have dried by then.
I thought so too. I mean, I gave it overnight to dry, but forgot about how humid the weather has been. Oh well, I have started again, but will leave more drying time.
@skysnap (17583)
sometimes hiring another is a good idea. gets load off our brain.
Well, if I mess this up again, I am calling a handyman to do it.
I hope it works out the second time and you don't need to hire a guy or use that phrase - third times a charm.
I am hoping the second time around works. Otherwise, I need a pro.
@Corbin5 So how did it go?
@just4him Looks great. I started over and used a wet-sanding method which really did the trick. Also re-made my dining room curtains which were pretty, but needed a different style to make them look custom-made. I am so darn cheap!!!
Oh, no! My husband is it the do it yourselfer in our house, but we hire people to paint these days. Actually, this Thursday the painters arrive to begin work in our new family room. It's not easy watching paint dry. Lol!!!!
I have painted all the walls and ceilings in all four of our houses. I rock painting ceilings and walls. So, now I will give more drying time to this little project, and be done with it. We have other things for which a pro will come to do things right.
@Corbin5 I call it good exercise!
@xFiacre (10369)
@corbin5 I'd have gone for the guy in the first place.
Well, I have done this type of work before with success, so I thought I could do it again. i can lay ceramic tile, install baseboard molding, and just about anything that needs to be done around here due to my husband's lack of attention to detail and my painfully frugal ways. However, if this does not work out, I am bringing in a pro.
@Rohvannyn (3137)
@Corbin5 It's good to know how to do those things. You can save a lot of money, and have a lot of satisfaction, that way. I'm learning those kinds of things too - it's really not rocket science, but needs attention to detail, as you say.
@Rohvannyn I have saved a bundle doing those things myself. I was just too impatient this time around. I am now allowing the spackle to dry for two days. Then on to step 2.
I hate doing home repairs myself because I am always sure I will mess them up. I am just not very patient..nor do I have the "knack."
I am one of little patience too, and I have to tell myself every 5 minutes to slow down. I have messed up many repairs by going too fast.
I´m so sorry! I know what you mean by hiring a guy. I used to do a lot of jobs I can´t do now
I am not as good at it as I used to be. Plus, I do not have the patience for it anymore. I am on my second try, and if my work looks bad, then a pro will have to do it.
@Corbin5 Our whole body becomes more clumsy
@jennyjoy (2030)
• Bangalore, India
You do have patience.Hope it all works perfectly the second time round,what with all that climbing up and down stretching ,bending.Makes me tired just thinking of it.
Oh yes, the ladder is not easy for this retired lady. I did start the second round, so if I am patient, it should turn out OK.
@jennyjoy (2030)
• Bangalore, India
@Corbin5 Must be done by now.
Sounds like it is a lot of work! Good luck! Now, you will literally watch the paint dry for you to finish this task.
Yes, I will keep my eye on it for sure!
I've never tried to paint anything in my mobile home let alone do all that stuff you just did. I think for me hiring someone makes more sense simply cuz I'm not the handy type.
I really have done all the home repairs here and the updates, but at my age, I think I am kind of done! I cannot do electrical or plumbing repairs, but can do all the other.
I'm not good at most things like that @Corbin5 I worked 40 years around computers so I really don't know if I ever could have.
• Marion, Kansas
I need to do many of those chores, but have not yet. It does get harder as I get older.
Same with me. I am not as good at it as I used to be. Was hemming curtains today and threading the needle, despite reading glasses, was a challenge. I also seem to lack patience as I get older.