The Battle Within (Poem)

The shadows lurking in my mind beat me till I'm weak and blind The war dogs chase me till I fall, they corner me into a wall These hounds from hell, they snarl and bite I gather my strength and will to fight Still, they continue to bite and maul They drag me deep into the dark Scream, howl, bite, and bark The demons throw me to the floor, chain me up, and lock the door I'm beaten into the dirt until their fists begin to hurt I'm on the cold, wet ground I hear a voice through every other sound It calls my name and tells me to stand so I gather my wits and obey the command As I stand, I regain my sight and I find the rest of my might My head clears and I start to see that all of my enemies move exactly like me They know every move as if they were me They know how to bring me down on one knee I knock off one's armor to see their face I see the ugly truth that I need to embrace They are the darker side of me that I choose to ignore I know my enemy and I can't retreat It's only my vice that I need to beat The hardest battle is the battle within That is the one that we are most desperate to win I swallow my pride and call out for aid, that one simple cry made all of my enemies fade They start out as shadows, then turn to dust I finally learn what I can and cannot trust
@MattMeng (3311)
• Hangzhou, China
It is a nice and meaningful poem.
Thank you. :)
@MattMeng (3311)
• Hangzhou, China
@AnnaAutopsy You are welcome, my friend. Hope you could write more and more poem.
@MattMeng I'm slowly working on it, I always get nervous when I post them on here because I'm afraid people won't like them..but so far everything has turned out great :)
@Jenning (2027)
• Nigeria
'I swallow my pride and call out for aid...' - Just what we all need to learn. Thanks for the Post. I only Trust GOD and HIS Word and no man!
Thank you so much! I'm glad that you like it. I agree, and sometimes it's harder for others to learn that but everyone reaches that point eventually, I would like to believe.
@Jenning (2027)
• Nigeria
@AnnaAutopsy Everyone indeed reaches that point. So it's not what we try to teach, it's what everyone experiences...
@Jenning Exactly. It's all a part of growing up and learning who you are. It's a scary experience, but it can be so beautiful at the same time.
@ms1864 (6970)
• Bangalore, India
brilliant!
Thank you!
@franxav (3625)
There are more wars within us than outside. Liked your poem.
Thank you so much!
@AutumnSnow (4625)
Very deep poem it's true we all have demons that we must face.
Thank you, and I agree.