My Ten Favorite Boy Songs: Life of a Poor Boy (#6)

@FourWalls (15760)
It is great to see the music section hopping with various series. We have Dylan (@mawdest , not the guy who just won the Nobel Prize for Literature ) counting down favorite (sorry, favourite) Canadian music acts; @JohnRoberts listing various favorite songs of the 90s, and @teamfreak16 counting down favorite "lie" songs and favorite "boy" songs. Check 'em all out and you'll hopefully discover some new music! As for me, I'm also counting down my favorite "boy" songs, a follow-up to the "girl" songs (an idea TeamFreak started), and I have favorite "woman" and "man" songs on deck. So here's my next song on the list. #6: Life of a Poor Boy - Stonewall Jackson First things first, this is not the Confederate general. And secondly, Stonewall is his real name. He was named for the Confederate general, who he is supposedly related to. Jackson came to Nashville with only a dream. It was quickly fulfilled when he became the first person to ever become a member of the famed Grand Ole Opry with no recording contracts. His record deal came two years after he joined the Opry. But once he got that recording deal, oh, did he set the country music world on fire. His hit "Waterloo" (no relation to the Abba song), co-written by the late John D. Loudermilk, was a country and pop top five hit. He's always been one of my favorite singers, and I've met him a couple of times. He's a gracious gentleman (which is something you can say about most of the old-time country singers). As for this song, it was a hit the year I was born. It's an upbeat song with the plot pretty much summed up in the title. It celebrates the working class in a way that's not preachy or vindictive, which is something that needs to be done: otherwise, as this song says, "there wouldn't be no 'taters, there wouldn't be no beans, the rich would all be poor folks in faded old blue jeans." Life of a Poor Boy Written by E.C. "Mac" McCarty Recorded by Stonewall Jackson Released as a single, 1960 With a two-buck loan he'll build him a home:
Provided to YouTube by Sony Music Entertainment Life Of A Poor Boy · Stonewall Jackson The Best Of Stonewall Jackson ? Originally Released 1960 Sony Music En...
Is he still alive? In the HOF?
@FourWalls (15760)
Yes, he's still alive. No, he's not in the Hall of Fame (inexplicably).
@FourWalls Jackson still perform? These HOF's make no sense.
• Denver, Colorado
I can honestly say I don't remember hearing this, but great song.