A Real Scare

Otis Orchards, Washington
Halloween. Just the thought of it brings scary events to mind. For some reason we all like to have a good scare that will cause us to cream our jeans–as long as we know it’s just for fun. The Halloween haunted house–the scary movie. But what happened to me yesterday was stuff that would make anyone fill their pants with brown smelly stuff. And not in a fun way. It began with a phone call. I looked at my caller I.D. and saw it was one of the credit unions I do business with. So I answered. “We have detected someone has been trying to get into your account online,” a man said. “Really?” I asked. “Yes. We think there is software somewhere on your computer causing this because there are hundreds of attempts. Would you bring up your Safari? I’m not going to ask for any account information.” “What is your name?” I asked. He told me his name and I said I would call him back. He told me to call my credit union and ask for him. If he would have refused to let me call him back I would have hung up and called my credit union to let them know about it. I hung up and called the credit union. After playing around with the automated system, I finally got someone. I asked to talk to the man. “That’s our internet guy,” the woman replied. “Yes, I know. I was just talking to him.” “I’ll transfer you.” Once I got him back on the phone he directed me to a program on my computer which was an add-on. I had gotten the program from the Apple App Store several years ago. He told me to uninstall it. I did. He said they thought that was where the problem was. Then he praised me for not taking his word on who he claimed to be and calling back to confirm he was legit. It’s a bit eerie how the guy knew what was on my computer. He didn’t know what program it was but just him knowing it was there.... After I got off the phone, I called the other credit union that I do business with and had them check things out. They said there was no problems there. It’s quite scary because I run my antivirus software fairly often. This was no Halloween prank and it scared me worse than any Halloween prank ever did. I thank the credit union for catching it before it became a problem. Even though I belong to two different credit unions, I’m not a rich person and any loss of money would have been devastating.
@suziecat7 (3392)
• Asheville, North Carolina
There's something personally insulting when creeps go after our private stuff (like the bank or credit card account). Glad you have good people at your credit union and it was stopped before anything happened.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Yes, pretty creepy. I'm glad, too, that they caught it.
@miniam (9233)
• Bern, Switzerland
Rich or poor any such loss is devastating and it takes so much time to straighten things out,glad it was caught on time.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
You're right about that.
Glad they caught it and got things fixed up rather quickly. I would have been eerie of the call too so it was a smart move to call him back at the credit union just to verify that is wasn't another scam.
Oh yah, I can see how that was a scary situation! With all those scammers out there, you can never be completely trusting of anyone, so it's good you took those measures to make sure he was who he said he was. I'd be cross checking all I can left and right too - most of us couldn't afford to lose any of money in our accounts!