Hubpages; such a waste of time

@tallawah (8082)
Kingston, Jamaica
Years ago, Hub got 12M hits a month. They were way up on the top of online publishing. When they were slapped down by the Google Panda as a Content Farm in 2010 they did a few pretty stupid things. One of the things they did was allow writers to 'flag' other items... that is a guy who wants to write about Syria, for example, flags all other items about Syria, then publishes his item. You catch the cute trick here? The writer whose item is 'flagged' will have it 'unfeatured'. This means it doesn't exist. Newbies will think their item is flagged for a reason and go over it, change it, make it longer, add images... whatever wastes time. The article will be reposted and may stay up a few days, then is flagged again! The owners of Hubpages never caught... and probably never will... how their site is 'played' by hungry writers who do their best to 'disqualify' others. Now as Hubpages pays so badly, as they demand so much work for penny fractions, the easiest thing to do is take a 'unfeatured' item and republish it else where. You can use Hubpages for storage. It's an easy place to pack a bunch of unfinished items which you can post elsewhere.
@cindiowens (3844)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I usually make about $50 per year there. I don't post there anymore.
• Midland, Michigan
That's what I've been making there which I think is pretty decent since I barely go on the site to do anything because I don't have time for several sites right now. But I think that if I did bother to put more tutorials there that I might do better than I am currently.
@tallawah (8082)
• Kingston, Jamaica
A long time ago I could boast about making $50 a month... but we are going back to like early 2010. Since then it's like 1c a month.
• Midland, Michigan
@tallawah I think I've been making about fifty per year, but that's possibly more than I'm making here and for not doing much on the site anymore it's good enough for me right now.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I thought Huboages was still decent.
@tallawah (8082)
• Kingston, Jamaica
YOu can't see the 'non-featured' posts...
• Midland, Michigan
I agree with you there, but it looks like some might do well and some not so much. I'm lucky in that one of my popular articles got picked for one of their niche sites and none of my articles have been flagged in a very long time. I've been making about fifty dollars per year recently. Since I barely go there, I figure that's pretty decent. Do you write there some too and if so what is your username, I'll look you up.
@tallawah (8082)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@MarshaMusselman I don't write there very often. I used to, about ten years ago. But after the 'flagging' and realising there was nothing wrong with my items, I stopped. Too much work for too little pay.
@ourlot (995)
Hubpages works for some people, but mostly it requires that you post rather long articles, with pictures and such. But they only pay some cents now and then. That is, lots of work for pennies.
@tallawah (8082)
• Kingston, Jamaica
It is not just the long article, it is the 'flagging ' of your post for no reason except jealousy
@ourlot (995)
@tallawah Yes, that's true too. They ignore/block perfectly fine articles.
@tallawah (8082)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@ourlot It's that they reject it there, you publish it elsewhere and it is fine.
Hubpages really dropped the ball on that flagging trick. Yep, too much work for nothing is what Hubpages has become. Was on it for a short time, but such a waste that short time was.
@tallawah (8082)
• Kingston, Jamaica
It is a waste. YOu make more money here commenting on a post then there making a 1k post with pictures and references.
@ms1864 (6998)
• Bangalore, India
oh! Is that how it really works? I just joined it... But they did say they will only publish it after reviewing my post......let's see what review i get.
do you submit one post then wait for review before you submit another one?
@ms1864 (6998)
• Bangalore, India
@hereandthere i have only submitted one post so far...but yeah...that's what i did. Are you on it too?
@ms1864 was planning to, but not sure if i can meet the requirements or have enough topics
• Midland, Michigan
This hasn't been my experience there. I've had good success with the few articles I have on that site. If you still have your articles there, I can take a look and see what I think if you'd like. Heading to work now so that will have to wait until later.
@tallawah (8082)
• Kingston, Jamaica
The point is this; a fellow wrote a post about 'decking a porch'. It just so happened no one else had written such an item. He networked it and was getting thousands of hits. He was making bags of money. Why? Because of the topic. Now he is not a good writer, he'd be the first to tell you that. Now his experience is that Hubpages is great high paying site. But that is not the reality for 99% of the users.
• Midland, Michigan
@tallawah I only have one article doing exceptionally well there, but I aim to write a few more one day in the future if that ever happens remains to be seen.
@SHOHANA (7097)
• Bangladesh
Hubpage seems to me quite strict to the writers so i quit long ago