A Scale Full of Finches with a waiting line

Photo is mine
Eugene, Oregon
I know I have written before about the great number of Goldfinches that are around now, but I could not resist sharing this photo of the old Turkish market scale loaded with birds, complete with bystanders waiting for a chance to crowd in for some ground hulled sunflower chips and peanuts. Feeding birds is an addictive habit. It is a good thing I work in that seed store and get a little discount. I have so much activity that I would not be surprised to see the Cooper's Hawk sweep in for a meal of Goldfinch. Do you feed birds where you live?
@TheSojourner (17298)
It is part of the agreement to live in this neighborhood that we do not have bird feeders. I push that limit with a hummingbird feeder in the summer. This year was the first I saw hummers at it.
• Eugene, Oregon
Oh, good. Do you make your own nectar? I use table sugar and water, 4 parts water, 1 part sugar. That is what the Ornithologist who owns the bird store recommends.
@JamesHxstatic yes, and exactly it.
Wow, what a crowd of birds. No I don't feed the birds, as I end up feeding the squirrels instead, and they are a nuisance.
• Eugene, Oregon
I just today posted a photo of a very cute squirrel about to give a speech.
@JamesHxstatic Will check it out
@CoolPeace (1587)
• Miami, Florida
Yes I feed birds when they come around but they don't come as much. I feed them pieces of bread. I like feeding birds.
• Eugene, Oregon
If you are able to get seed, it is better for them than bread.
@CoolPeace (1587)
• Miami, Florida
@JamesHxstatic. Oh I didn't know that.
I have not consistently, but have great intentions of doing so. I imagine I would see quite a few. You seem to have the right menu for these guys. One summer I had huge sunflowers and the goldfinches would eat right from them. I had a rufous finch that preferred other plants. I just cannot for the life of me remember what.
• Eugene, Oregon
Pretty much everything likes sunflower seeds. The one I use is the mix of that and peanuts (ground). Everything seems to like it, It is from a store called Wild Birds Unlimited. I work there very part-time.
Nice photo. Only feed hummingbirds.
• Eugene, Oregon
Thanks, John!
I do when I see them in parking lots.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is a good thing.
@DeborahDiane (24159)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic - I love your bird photos, but we don't feed the birds here. Our HOA discourages it because the bird seed attracts small rodents, and the rodents attract coyotes ... which are a huge problem in our community. Several people have had their dogs attacked and killed while their owners were walking them on a leash. One coyote even tore the screen on a screened patio and ran inside a condo to attack and kill someone's cat ... while the owners were in the room! That has made people very leery of feeding the birds. However, we have plenty of birds, anyway, and they bring us a lot of pleasure.
• Eugene, Oregon
What a harrowing experience for people around you with all those coyotes!
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic - Yes, it is very harrowing. When we moved here, our Korean neighbors brought us dog whistles and instructions on how to avoid coyotes and how to act if we encounter them. It was very considerate of them. They have become a serious nuisance.
• Eugene, Oregon
@DeborahDiane That was very nice of them. Do the dog whistles hurt their ears or something?
beautiful! i miss feedin' the birds here. that pup 'f the neighbors'll not leave 'em be so's they can dine. he can jump purty high :( so, outside'f the hummer feeders, the rest remain empty. i'll be puttin' suet (homemade) out soon though - hopefully way outta his reach.
• Eugene, Oregon
I hope that works well.
@JamesHxstatic me, too! if'n not, i'll be stickin' some out'n the e'ergreens out front fer 'em.
@KristenH (25148)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Not at my apartment. It's against the rules and not sanitary. But those are beautiful birds.
• Eugene, Oregon
As long as the unsanitary part is outside, I am okay with it.
@KristenH (25148)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@JamesHxstatic Me too. I caught one of my neighbors feeding the birds bread on the lawn this summer. He's an elderly gentlemen who lives on the first floor.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
That's a great picture. We don't get many birds visiting us due to the number of cats in the neighbourhood (not that my two are any good at hunting.) Mum and dad's garden always attracted a lot of birds and I used to love to watch them feeding.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is addicting really.
Funny! the birds that are pecking seem to have no intention of making room for the bystanders.
• Eugene, Oregon
No, they do not share well at all.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I do not have any bird feeders.
Those finches are so cute, my finches have gone, until the next spring they will not be here. I feed the birds, right now there are sparrows and European red robins and also many doves.
• Eugene, Oregon
Glad that you are feeding those birds. Robins should be around soon, but ours seem self-sufficient. I have chickadees also.
@JamesHxstatic I forgot to mention the chickadees, we have them too.
• Eugene, Oregon
@LadyDuck Oh good, they are so cute.
@beenice2 (2431)
Wow!! It is beautiful. They look like they are having a feast there.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes they really were. Birds are always fun to have around.
@SophieY (902)
• South Africa
I do - as I don't eat the crusts from my bread - they go on my windowsill for the birds
• Eugene, Oregon
A good way to do it. Maybe add a little seed?
Yes, I put out popcorn, dried beans, old bread etc.... for them and they love dog food
• Eugene, Oregon
I have heard that they do.
• Denver, Colorado
No, but I'd bet some of the people in the complex next to ours do.