Vegetables are expensive!

Japan
Right now vegetables are really expensive in Japan. It's because we had too much rain so a lot of the vegetables didn't develop properly or rotted, so even the ones that we are paying a lot for don't look as good as usual. For example, a quarter of a "Chinese cabbage" is currently selling for ¥180. Usually that is the price for a whole one at this season. Carrots are over a dollar apiece, and they're not very big. Fruit is about the same as usual, but it is always expensive so it's not such a big contrast to other years. What is more expensive for you this season?
"Carrots are over a dollar apiece" --- that's incredible! Many people won't be able to afford such prices.
Vegetables and fruits are pretty expensive here too, but we can buy a kilo of carrots for about 2$.
• Japan
Carrots are usually cheap here too.
@petatonicsca Carrots are among the cheapest vegetables, together with local potatoes.
That´s how they are here when out of season. And they can get cheaper.
This time of year vegetables and fruits are very cheap. We had a good growing season around here this year so there seems to be plenty of everything so the prices are great. They will rise as the winter approaches and fruit and vegetables are imported in.
• Japan
That was last year for us!
@silvermist (16386)
@petatonicsca Here too vegetables are very expensive.I think carrots and Apples are the most costly.Ginger too.We use ginger a lot in meat dishes.
Sorry that you have to pay so much for your vegetables. Here in Canada, groceries are getting more and more expensive all over.
@Ayuriny (9345)
• Denpasar, Indonesia
Omg. They're very costly! Yes, due to rainy season, some vegs and fruits here are costly. Carrots, cabbage, potato, chili, onions, are almost double in prices. Certain fruits like grapes and Fuji apple are also more expensive nowadays. So, how do you deal with these high priced vegetables?
• Japan
I'm thinking I will have to use more frozen vegetables, which are cheaper this year because they are imported.
@skysnap (17425)
Yes here vegetables are expensive.
Our fruits and vegetables are getting steep too, but not quite as high as Japan.
@cuculi (218)
But in my country it is very cheap, so I can eat too much ,if some one want then I can send it.
When the weather gets very cold or rainy, then the vegetable price will be higher here. And some fruits are expensive because they are imported, such as the cherries.
Most vegetables that I like are imported from other parts of the US so they're usually always expensive, what I find more expensive are the organic foods but they are worth buying.
We are begining spring so now there are some veggies that are not very expensive. I can hace greens at a very small price at this time of the year. Lettuce is around a dollar and goes a long way as I add arugule and kale from my garden.