do you remember Fall out shelter and black out.

Good afternoon. How many people remember the black out in the forties? I remember this very well.The USA was a war and we had to practice when the Air raid signal goes on.Everyone had to go in side and all lights were turned off. Being a kid.It was kind of scary.The real thing could have happen here. This went on for a while.After the war was over .The Atomic Bomb dropped at Hiroshima .With the radiation spewing in the air etc. then in the sixtes.many people built a fall out shelter in their yard. They dug a big hole in the ground and work it from there. Some have fancy one.Like a hut of sort.To be prepared for the atomic bomb . Not the bomb too much but the fall out from it. Some still have the shelter in their yard. They are stocked with food and medication etc. This was a scary time for us. Anyone here remember this period. I have finished Bill O"Reilly the Killing of the house of the Rising Sun. Have learned so much about World War 11. And the bomb of course.I was sick to my stomach after reading this. Did not realized that this was going on.
Well, I remember during the Cuban Missile Crisis, our neighbors next door built a fallout shelter in their basement. They also would not drink cow's milk, due to possible contamination, and used powered-milk only. Will write down the title of Bill O'Reilly's book you mentioned. Husband would love reading that one.
this is good reading
Corbin5 The book is excellent and things that I did not know
I remember the Cuban Missile though.
@amadeo Thank you so much. His birthday is in February, and this is perfect!!!
My grandparents built one. When I was a child they used it for storage.
@Tampa_girl7 how about that.Do they still have it?
@Tampa_girl7 If the people that ought the house are smart they still have it.
I was born after the war, so I don't remember anything from my own view, but I read a lot about it.
@marlina I see.You were not around then.
@amadeo No, I wasn't around, I was the only one (the baby) in the family who wasn't born during the war.
@louievill (16197)
The Popular Science encyclopedia my father bought for us ( i still have them with me) during the late 60's or early 70's had plans for a fall out shelter, what to do during a nuclear attack and how to convert your basement into one. Think the readiness had something to do with the Cuban missile crisis and the "Cold War", was so fascinated by it as a kid, I wanted to build one.
@louievill Did you ever build one.
@louievill (16197)
@amadeo it was only a child's dream, a place where we could play soldiers too, but one thing with it is it influenced me to be always prepared, Im a prepper with prepper mentality but more of for natural disaster than a fallout Yes i still have plans to build a small subterranean strong structure at the back of our property reserved for any emergency and stocked with provisions but i have to hold for now since my boy is in college. Think those things are still relevant with talk of a terrorist dirty bomb and ever increasing natural disasters
Alfredo, you were the only myLot member around in the 40s!
@JohnRoberts yes,looks that way.Also am I the oldest here?
@amadeo I suspect that you are the eldest here. Thus you are myLot's wise man.
Sounds like very scary times.
@TRBRocks420 yes,it was scary at times.
@crossbones27 (14888)
• Redlands, California
Sounds interesting and only have played the video game. One of the all time great franchises.
@crossbones I heard about the video game there.
I have only heard of fall out shelters. So scary!
@DianneN yes,not sure if people are still doing this or not
• Denmark
My memories also begin only after WW2.
@Maluse Before your time there.
Fall out shelters were something we learned about in school when I was a kid, but I didn't know anyone who had one.
Way before my time. *grin*
@PainsOnSlate (19009)
I remember air raid practice in school where we all got under our desks back in the 50's. As if that was going to save us... I don't remember black outs but I do remember people building underground in the back yards but they were for tornadoes.. I love reading about the history of that time too.
I hope we never need any of those fall out shelters. That would not be good at all.