Oh, Thank You Kind Gentleman on YouTube!

I have a keyfob that allows me to start my car with the push of a button. The fob must always be on my person if the car is to start. If a battery in the keyfob is dead, then the car will not start. The batteries for the keyfob are pricey to me. Each little-bitty battery costs $10. The batteries for the keyfob have to be replaced about every 6 months. I did take out the 352-page manual to learn how to open that keyfob and replace the battery. Now, if the print in that clunky car manual wasn't so very tiny, and the directions for battery-replacement were short and sweet, and on the same page for Pete's sake, I probably would have succeeded. Frustration set in after several failed attempts using with the manual directions. I went to YouTube, and the kindest gentlemen showed me how to replace that battery easily. He talked very slowly and demonstrated the process at a very slow pace. I did leave him a note of thanks in the comments, and I do hope he reads the note. YouTube has come in handy on so many occasions when I am truly stumped, or tired of trying. Note: I see one of Molly's doggie hairs attached to that battery. Life with dogs, priceless!
• Denmark
The help sites on the internet can indeed be quite useful.
I do know I am not an auditory learner, but a visual and tactile learner. Surprised I could not catch on using the manual, but thank goodness for YouTube.
@hora_fugit (5435)
Hmm... yes, YouTube is good for tutorials, but sometimes with nasty motives...
Oh, I hope no nasty motive was behind that helpful video I watched.
@DaddyEvil (21187)
@hora_fugit What do you mean by "nasty motives", YOU? (I haven't come across any that I would consider having a nasty motive. I HAVE found one that is a prank, but it was more-or-less harmless, as far as I could see.) I hope you are doing well?
@DaddyEvil I hope so too.... Can't explain nasty, lost the connection with the sentence.
I had a very similar experience with mine. My key fob doesn't work and there was a faulty wire due to age that was making the alarm go off whenever the doors were locked. I watched a youtube video and very easily figured out how to disconnect the alarm which is something the manual would not tell me!
We are so fortunate to have found those videos! Sure saves a lot of time and trouble, and at times, money too.
@DaddyEvil (21187)
LMFAO! I had to enlarge the picture before I could see the doggy hair! (Is it bad that I double check people on things like that? (giggling and teasing you!) Uhm... I use a key fob for my car, too, Deborah... You are paying WAY too much for those batteries, in my opinion! Walmart and Target both sell that size for $4.96 each, but you can get them even cheaper than that if you just order them from Amazon.com. LOL! I almost forgot... Do you happen to know where a Dollar Tree store is located near you? If so, go in and look for tea candles that use batteries. Usually you can get two tea lights for $1. Each of those fake tea candles have two of those batteries in them. Sometimes you can even catch a good sale there! Those batteries have a shelf life of ten years. Just thought you'd like to know... If your batteries are only lasting six months in your fob, you might want to have your fob checked, too... I have had my latest car for two years now and I just replaced the batteries that were in the fob when I bought the car... This is about the length of time the batteries lasted in my last car fob, too. (I just checked online... roughly two years is what other people are saying their batteries last in their key fobs. Please have yours checked out!) Depending on the manufacturer, your batteries might only last a year, but that is the shortest time anyone online has reported their batteries lasting... and that was a kid who kept "playing" with his key fob! SMH! (Idiot, in my opinion!)
Thank you so much for the battery information. I did buy them at the dealer, and I am now suspicious regarding the batteries they sell. They just may want to have customers come in there and keep buying more often than necessary. My car is the small Mercedes GLK 350, which costs the same as most SUV's out there, but we are highly suspect of the dealership which really does try and fleece those who buy from them. They are very snooty too at that dealership when the car needs servicing and we pay a bundle to have it serviced there. I do have some of those battery operated candles here, and what a savings that would be for me. We have a Dollar Tree only a 3 minutes drive away, so thank goodness you alerted me to batteries in those little lights. Thank you again for your help!!! Glad you checked the dog hair. It has a tendency to travel!!!
@DaddyEvil (21187)
@Corbin5 You are always welcome to any help I can give you, hon! I never even thought about the dealership being the cause of the batteries not lasting well for you... What nasty pieces of work they are! SMH!
@simone10 (22271)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Youtube has come to my rescue many times as well. Isn't the internet wonderful?
The internet sure does make our lives easier, and at times is a big money saver when we can learn to do things without the help of a pro.
@simone10 (22271)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Corbin5 Very true! I can't tell you how many times I have used it over the years.
@CoralLevang (37077)
My keyfob went belly up, but thankfully I can still open the car door with the key.
Oh good. I had to watch the video to learn how to get the key out of the fob. If my fob goes belly up, I will use the key, just like you!
@CoralLevang (37077)
@Corbin5 :-) A replacement fob was ridiculous, so I said "forget it!"
@CoralLevang I would do the same. I mean, if I have a key, I will use the key.
@yukimori (8547)
YouTube tutorials are really great sometimes. I've used them for everything from dismantling tablets to replacing brake shoes and fixing our dishwasher. It's wonderful to have that information at our fingertips, isn't it? Have you tried shopping around for those batteries? We sell them a lot cheaper than $10 each at Best Buy. It looks like Amazon has a lot of cheaper options, too.
Shop for 2025 battery at Best Buy. Find low everyday prices and buy online for delivery or in-store pick-up.
Well, thank you my friend. I buy the batteries from the car dealer, and never knew Best Buy sold them. You have save me money!! So grateful to you.
@yukimori (8547)
@Corbin5 Oh, no wonder the markup is so high! They seem to be a fairly common size so they may even be sold at Walmart or Target.
@yukimori Well, next time around, I will check Walmart or Target. We have Best Buy only 5 minutes from here too. Thank you again for that tip!!!
YouTube can and continues to be a good source of information and instructional videos plus entertainment. I watch an assortment of things in there.
I do too. Such a variety of things to enjoy and learn thanks to YouTube.
@Corbin5 it is a far more productive way to spend time in YouTube rather than watching all those silly cat and kitten videos.
@allen0187 I lost a crown from a back tooth, and I went to YouTube and made a crown to cover the area according to instructions given. Wanted it to last until my dental appt, and it looked great. It was fabulous. My dentist was amazed.
@HazySue (15882)
You meet the nicest people online sometimes. I'm glad you were able to get help.
He was such and kind and gentle teacher. Perhaps he is a teacher. He should be.
@HazySue (15882)
@Corbin5 I wish there were more kind and gentle teachers.
@HazySue They are a rare breed.
@Bluedoll (16118)
I really like those people that explain those things and when you can see it makes it so much better. Nice of you to say thanks. When the internet was new people did that all the time.
I actually learned how to make a temporary crown when a crown for my back tooth came off. Learned it from YouTube. It was perfect. My dentist was amazed.
@Bluedoll (16118)
Oh my goodness that is amazing. I can cut my own hair but never tried that! "Wilson I'm sorry, I'm sorry Wilson, I'm sorry" - Tom Hanks
Wow, what a stroke of luck that you even thought to look this up online. We have a place called the Battery Boy, you can go there with your device that needs a new battery and they will replace it for you. I do that with the remotes for the garage doors, I can't read that fine print to get the right size.
Oh rats. I want a Battery Boy near me. I was lucky to find such a good video that can teach even retired ladies how to do things!!
@Corbin5 You do want a Battery Boy, they sell them for like a dollar for the little ones for my watch or the garage door openers-how can you go wrong with that price, plus the fact that somebody will pop it in for you!
It's so nice that You Tube has helped you made it easier . YouTube indeed is amazing . My daughter when she graduated from her first course took a vacation at home . She cooked for the first time a viand so delicious . And she did it with the aid of YouTube.
Wow, I bet her viand was delicious!!! I was able to find and fix the source of a leak in our refrigerator thanks to YouTube. We are fortunate to have that kind of help online.
@Corbin5 Indeed , help is now easy because of the internet . You ask for it , you get it at those search engines .
@sueznewz2 (8899)
• Alicante, Spain
like you say thank goodness for youtube ... that has helped us out with soooo many how to videos ... I know what you mean about the user manuals ... lol glad you go it changed ... have you looked online to see if you can get the battery any cheaper... ??
Well, thanks to the kind people who responded here, suggestions for cheaper batteries include Walmart, Target and Best Buy. Will certainly look into that!!!
@sueznewz2 (8899)
• Alicante, Spain
@Corbin5 that's good too..
@CRK109 (14381)
I completely agree that YouTube is wonderful for learning all sorts of things. I turn to YouTube for so many different things almost every week!
We are so fortunate to have that kind of help. I actually made a crown for my tooth, when it fell out, until I got to the dentist, and I learned how to do it on YouTube. My dentist was amazed. He said I could have a room in his office to make temporary crowns for teeth.
@CRK109 (14381)
@Corbin5 Wow! Obviously you did a great job! And youtube is a great place to go for whatever help we need! I think it's a much underrated part of the internet!
I'm glad you were able to get it changed.
Me too. Thought of asking my husband, but then thought I should handle that myself.
@Corbin5 I think your husband would be impressed you were able to change it.
YouTube can be so helpful if you have the patience to go through all those self help videos on it. I've gotten help that way too in the past but I'm not on youtube that often.
Yes, I often have to find the one video out of many that works for me.
It's actually a lot of work to find those @Corbin5 but I'm glad you did.
@vandana7 (56722)
I love YouTube for many reasons...it simply is superb!
Same here. It does entertain and teach.
@vandana7 (56722)
@Corbin5 ..So many things..creates so much awareness..
Yes my husband has the keyfob like that too. My husband's Fiesta has the button start too.
It is a handy thing, but people here have suggested places to get cheaper batteries!! Yippee!!!
@hereandthere (21819)
we need that kind of battery, too, for the digital weighing scale. which video was it? i'd like to watch it.
Such a nice fellow who did this video.
How to change battery in Mercedes Benz key fob? Easy steps to change battery in Mercedes Benz key fob. GLK 350 2013 model
@antonbunot (8887)
• Calgary, Alberta
You Tube taught my son and I how to replace the transmission oils of our 3 vehicles. And we just spent $40.00 for each car. If we had their transmission oil replacement done by WalMart (cheapest), it would have cost us $400.
Wow! Such a money-save YouTube happened to be. I was able to fix the water leaking from our refrigerator thanks to YouTube. You saved a bundle of money.