We are living in a mad world

@topffer (29955)
France
This 25 years old French woman, Ebru Firat, is actually jailed in Istanbul, and risks 20 years of jail in Turkey. She is born in France but has her family roots in Kurdistan, and went there to fight ISIS. Her mistake ? She gave an interview to a French TV channel just before the battle of Kobane, a city recovered by the Kurds at the end of January with the help of the western coalition under the US leadership. She has been recognized and arrested at Istanbul airport last September when she was coming back to France to marry with her boyfriend. She has been accused first of planning a terrorist attack, which was absurd, and now of "participation to a terrorist organization." Turkey is part of the coalition against ISIS, but also in war against the Kurds since the 1920's, and Turks are thinking that any Kurd fighter is a terrorist. We can seriously ask ourselves on what side of the board are the Turks ? since the beginning of the war against ISIS they have mainly bombed Kurdish positions, and have arrested more Kurds than ISIS fighters. Irak has refused yesterday to Turkey to participate to the battle of Mosul, which is besieged mainly by Kurds. The Russians said that Turkey has a secret pact with ISIS to export oil from the area controlled by ISIS. I do not know if it is true, but Turkey justifies the French proverb : "Beware more of your friends than of your enemies." Many elective representatives of the Toulouse area where she is born are supporting Ebru Firat. France has found a lawyer for her and has obtained the right for her family to visit her. Her lawyer says that "if she had not Kurd origins she would not be sued by Turkey, because she never fought in Turkey." There is an online petition in French to support her. I do not give the link because I think that it would be against the rules here, but I support her, like any Kurd fighting against ISIS. What is this war where a member of the coalition against ISIS arrests people fighting against ISIS, and where many other countries in this coalition are refusing to welcome migrants flying away from their countries occupied by ISIS ? It is really a mad world.
@Asylum (46816)
• Manchester, England
The most confusing aspect about the war against ISIS is that most countries seem to feel that organising a banquet over which to discuss the matter constitutes progress. As soon as Russia decided to take action against ISIS the USA and the whole of Europe condemned the act.
@topffer (29955)
• France
There are a lot of opposing interests, but it was difficult to fight against ISIS without supporting Syria, and it is what the Russians did. Without Russia, ISIS would probably be stronger today. The problem of Assad can be resolved when ISIS will have disappeared.
• Eugene, Oregon
Because the Russians are bombing fighters who are backed by the US, as is Turkey as well.
@topffer (29955)
• France
@JamesHxstatic And Turkey bombs Russian fighters times to times : it is really a mad war.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am very suspicious of the Turks and what their true loyalty is, I think they were the cause of Brexit.
@topffer (29955)
• France
Turks ask since 1987 to join the EEC, but they will not have a country to support them as long as they will not respect human rights... and Kurds. The Brexit has been due to a lot of lies, among them migrants shown like a scarecrow by the Brexit side.
• Denmark
@BelleStarr The Turks were the cause of Brexit? This is the first time I hear about this. Please explain.
@topffer (29955)
• France
@MALUSE I would not tell that it has been the cause, but it has been used as an argument by the Brexit side at the end of the referendum campaign.
Log In Don't have an account? Sign up here » In order to access our Web site, your Web browser must accept cookies from NYTimes.com. More information » Log in withUse Facebook Log in withUse Google or Remember Me Forgot password? Log In Terms of Service Pr
• Eugene, Oregon
Truly it is. I hope that Turkey relents, but their leader is all about fighting Kurds, as you say. The Turkish military is pretty involved in the battle for Mosul, I heard this morning.
@topffer (29955)
• France
Irak and Kurds do not want to see Turks in the Mosul area, and Irak has declared that Turkey was not involved.
• Eugene, Oregon
@topffer It is all over the news this morning, oddly. I read a quote from Erdogan saying that both Mosul and Aleppo belong to the "Turkish people."
@topffer (29955)
• France
@JamesHxstatic If Erdogan wants to reconquer any country that was belonging to Turkey in the 19th C, he has not finished. Mosul belongs to Irak and Alep to Syria, both since 1918, and Turkey has admitted it in 1925.
@hora_fugit (5435)
This may seem unrelated, but where can I get more info on Joan of Arc? I get she was murdered by the same people she had been fighting for...?
@topffer Was sold to the English by whom...? Assuming betrayal here.
@topffer (29955)
• France
@hora_fugit By Jean II de Luxembourg who captured her in Compi├Ęgne when she was defending the city. He was fighting against France for the Duke of Bourgogne, and was also a vassal of England for some of his lands, so it was not a betrayal.
It is not against any rule to send a link through a PM. Please send it to me.
@topffer I will read it now. I can read in French too, so no need to translate.
I don't know, it's been like that since the dark ages, it's not that mad. Sometimes were just too paranoid with what's happenign to the world.
@topffer (29955)
• France
There are been certainly wars since the beginning of humanity, but this one is a weird one, and when an ally arrests a fighter which is supposed to be on the same side, there is a serious problem with this ally.
@vandana7 (57187)
It is a made world. My former tenant is a muslim and he is looking after our property as if I am his real sister. I hate it when folks like ISIS and other terrorists defame such good guys. He is devout..firm believer in his god, but has never harmed us and has in fact helped us. I can't take it out on muslims but my father ..the older generation poisons the mind and youngsters may not listen to many things old people say but when it comes to perpetuating hatred, and prejudices, they are every ready. Groan. It is a mad world.
@topffer (29955)
• France
We have many Muslims in my country, and everybody knows that only a small number of radical Muslims are harmful. I have a few Muslim relationships, and I never had to complain, which is not the case for my Catholic relationships. I dislike people playing with the fears of a part of the population about Muslims, like this man wanting to forbid to any Muslim to migrate in his country (I tend to ban the names of small men from my vocabulary).
@stringer321 (2716)
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
I think joining the war against ISIS must be done as part of army service. Everyone who decides to volunteer and fight against ISIS, risks his life and the country will not do anything with him. In my country, I hope our army is getting ready in case ISIS starts a war with us. I understand Firat and I don't know what I would do instead of her. I think Turkey has decided a wrong decision with Firat, sending her to jail. ISIS deserves to die as soon as possible. They just kill everyone who is not exactly like them. Too bad we already have our own reasons to fight each other in my country : right vs left, rich vs poor, religious vs atheists, periphery vs big cities, people with roots from arab countries vs people with roots from other countries...(this makes a difference in culture, habits, and creates discrimination). With all of the inner conflicts, how can we fight outer threats ?
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
@topffer ISIS will want to prove they are still strong and that can still shock the world. So, they will make some terror attacks, the question is just when will they do it and where. The risk that Firat took was going into a country that she didn't know the laws of, she didn't know they would arrest her. If I ever go abroad, I will have to understand the laws of that country and watch out not to mess up with it. Fighting terrorist groups is like fighting a ghost. Hard to find a potential terrorist. It can just be a someone who wakes up at the morning and decide to start stabbing people on the street, maybe he post a post on his facebook page...It's hard to figure out if a person on the street is a terrorist or an innocent person.
I hope she can get out of all of the charges. We do live in a mad world. I hope they let her go.
@topffer (29955)
• France
Her lawyer hopes that she will be allowed to do her sentence in France, if she is sentenced, which is sadly probable. The trial is for next month.
@epiffanie (8342)
Yes , I agree.. this is a mad , mad world we live in ..