My life has meaning yet again!

Pleasant Hill, California
A nice gentleman from up in Sonoma brought me a pair of 1968 Wharfdale speakers for cosmetic restoration yesterday afternoon. We had a nice chat, mostly about old speakers, while my neighbor kid friend showed him his favorite Hot Wheels from the floor nearby. Check out the grilles on these--they are quite vintage looking--very 1960s. It's amazing how much information kids take in. When the man asked about my guitars, my neighbor kid friend said, "This one he just bought, and you can't hook it up to an amplifier. This one he's maybe selling. This one you can hook up to an amplifier, and it's the one he uses the most. And this one he hardly ever takes out, but it's his favorite." He was spot on. Anyway, I'm off to a good start on the speakers. As the photograph shows, I've started sanding, and the Watco Danish Oil can to the left is pressing down some veneer I put in where some was missing. I should have these done in a couple of weeks. The owner says he has two more pairs, so it looks like I've have my meditation materials for the next month and a half or so.
they're beauts! amazin' the grills're'n such great shape with all the other damage/wear 'n tear. gigglin' o'er yer buds recall :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, he's pretty amazing. These speakers don't look THAT bad overall, but they have a few missing corners and such. The should look really nice when I'm done with them. The finish that Wharfdale used kind of hid the nice grain. Or at least it does now after almost 50 years.
@TheHorse lol, tis called 'aging' - somethin' desirable with some antiques :) do ya know how they sound? bet such 'tis sweet!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@crazyhorseladycx All the drivers are in them, so I'll hook them up when they're almost done. Nothing hides my grain, but at least I don't have broken corners.
@vandana7 (65019)
You know what I think. The kid adores you...at 8 he feels love. It is a good hobby...and glad you have more work to do...which you seem to enjoy. I am just smitten by your adorable little neighbor.
• Pleasant Hill, California
He asked if he could help with the new speakers. Of course I'll let him. This must be how kids learned crafts in the "old days."
@vandana7 (65019)
@TheHorse .. I can imagine both of you singing and working..:) That would be a great scene to record.:)
• Pleasant Hill, California
@vandana7 I think he may grow tired of the Pirate Song soon, but it does sound like fun!
Those little ones have minds like traps!!! Yes, you do have mediation material to enjoy for quite a while.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep. I feel kind of honored that he knows my guitars so well. But hey, I remember that we got two Camaros, two Mustangs, and a rescue vehicle yesterday.
@FayeHazel (18027)
I think it's awesome when people care enough to restore old items. Do you know the big stereos from the 60s (I think) - they were held in large cabinets - like a big piece of furniture. And they sounded so good. I have my grandmas - it's in storage now since it's not exactly apartment sized. You play guitar? I play bass. Awesome. I also like psychology. Many common interests. Nice to meet you I can't wait to see what you write about. :-)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Nice meeting you! My parents had one of those old console stereos back when I was a small child. It sounded great. It had tubes in it, and that's big part of why it sounded so good. I hope you find a place for your grandma's down the road. What kind of music do you play?
That's great! They look great. Yes, kids do pay attention to everything.
• Pleasant Hill, California
They're off to a good start. I have one about 2/3 done. The other I just started sanding a bit to get to know it. They'll be completed within two weeks.
@TheHorse That's great!
@Jenning (2023)
• Nigeria
Good work I anticipate
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think this pair will look really nice when they're done.
@Jenning (2023)
• Nigeria
@TheHorse Yea it will
You are going to be busy until the new year, I know you like this.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh heh. I may be. He has two more pairs, and I'm sure others will bring stuff in. I'm still working on the Realistics that someone gave me.
@TheHorse I like the shape of the front of those ones, beautiful.
That kid sure listens doesn't he?
• Pleasant Hill, California
He really does. He's a bright kid.
@TheHorse ......I see that. Those are fun to have around.
They look really cool.68 was a great year.....it's the year my husband was born.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That was the year my brother's old Plymouth Baracuda was born too!
that is pretty impressive that the kid was paying that much attention!
• Pleasant Hill, California
He's a bright kid. And he takes pleasure in knowing what I'm up to over here. He knows about my bands, teaching college, etc.
You are doing good with those speakers.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks! These are moving right along. Here's a picture from later that evening, just after I'd done one of my famous "water treatments." You can see what those surfaces will look like when done.
Yep, looking very old there. I'm sure you'll spruce them right up!