2 AM, g'mornin' myLot!

*sips coughee* Came across one of those great deals the other day, and I have never understood this...people that buy vinyl albums and then never open them. Vinyl is meant to be played. Not purchased and then left sealed sitting on a shelf somewhere. But quite often, I will find albums in a 'second-hand' shop for sale...at prices of a dollar or two each...that are unopened. Today we are listening to a virgin copy of Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. Brand. Spanking. New. And I thank the Lord for fools and other assorted idjits. *sips coughee* I can barely make it across town without opening a new album, let alone leave it on a shelf for countless years still sealed. Oh well...
"Cecilia" is a song written by US musician Paul Simon. It was first recorded by Simon and Garfunkel for their 1970 album Bridge Over Troubled Water. When rel...
@yukimori (9047)
Can you imagine trying to change one of those in the dash in your car, though? Never mind what would happen when you hit a bump and the poor needle bounces... but vinyl is still pretty awesome for listening to at home. A lot of people in our area seem to think so, too... we have a few turntable models in our store and it's been hard to keep them in stock recently.
Revisiting Consumer Reports tests of car record players from the 1950s and 1960s, including the Highway Hi-Fi, Victrola, and Norelco Auto Mignon.
@yukimori (9047)
@JolietJake Yep, my lack of age is showing again, ain't it?
@topffer (34162)
• France
@JolietJake Then this Lincoln had better suspensions than French cars. I remember to have seen 45 rpm "disk eaters" (it was the name we were giving to them) in cars, and they were digesting records only when a car was stopped. Radio with audiotapes readers have been a big improvement.
@Inlemay (16559)
• South Africa
Oh I love Cecilia and of course the Simon and Garfunkel's duo - SO call me AL . . . The Boxer and so many more great ones
I also picked up an unopened copy of Paul Simon's Greatest Hits...it was a good day.
@Inlemay (16559)
• South Africa
@JolietJake I'd say that too - enjoy all those great oldies.
That's such a great album, lucky for you that you scooped it up. Good morning.
Marty at the pawn shop called me and said he had some new stuff in and was letting me go through them before he put it out for sale
@JolietJake How very kind of him. You'll have to post another song for one of your coughie salutes, I like a lot of those songs off of that album and am forever listening to it on utube.
Is vinyl those long playing albums we play on the old playing gadgets , with needle like thing to play it ?
Just like in the photo...
That is very true about many collections.
Makes no sense to me at all. Especially when they buy reissues that will never be worth much more than what they paid for them...usually less.
@JolietJake To me either to be honest. I won't bother collecting anything but needs.
@moffittjc (43033)
• Gainesville, Florida
The same thing goes with toys. Every now and then you'll hear about an unopened toy still sealed in it's package, from a bygone era, that fetches tens of thousands, or even millions of dollars, because it is in excellent and pristine condition. Who buys a toy and then doesn't open it from the package and play with it?
@TheSojourner (17454)
OMG! What a great album. I remember this one! And Cecilia it was probably my favorite song from that album!
@JolietJake that was certainly quite a find!
I guess those are the type of people who just want to look at their vinyl records left unopened and still in mint condition. I have a friend who frames her vinyls and hangs it on the walls of her bedroom as display.
You found a great deal.
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
I guess those folks figure that someday those albums will be worth more money unopened @JolietJake .
@topffer (34162)
• France
I am not surprised. I have often found 18th C paperbacks with uncut pages : nobody had read them. The problem is : should I cut the pages to read it, or let it "new" and uncut ? Same for an unsealed vinyl...
I have bought several second hand vinyls that were still sealed. I wonder why people buy things not to use them. May be all those are simply unappreciated gifts.
@sishy7 (27647)
I have books still sealed sitting on my bookshelf for years... They're gifts to me though, I didn't buy them... I've never been interested enough to see what's inside the covers, I guess... And I like keeping things in their brand new state... You're up earlier and earlier lately... Good morning!
@cherigucchi (4778)
Its a good afternoon here. Enjoy your day.
I do love S and G
@LoriAMoore (4813)
I'm thinking somebody bought it for somebody for Christmas, that person's musical tastes were different, and it never got played. I dunno.