I am trying something new with my sleep habits

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
As some of you may have read, my therapist told me to go to bed at 8 pm instead of 4 or 5 pm and get up by 8 am. Unfortunately, I have been going to bed at 8 pm every night since I saw her on October 17, and have been getting up before midnight that night every single night and falling asleep reading in bed in the morning, I write my sister when I get up, and tonight she told me on the phone to go to bed at a later hour like 10-11pm and see if i set my three alarms for from 7 through 8 am instead of 5 am if i could awaken. She said that most people she works with sleep 5 or 6 hours. I forget i am no longer as medicated as i once was and NEEDED all that sleep! I am going to be reading and writing a lot more and remembering it because i am not so tired i will be up in the evenings which is kind of exciting for me to be up in the evening when others are awake! A new bedtime and getting up and staying up means I am a few steps closer to getting a dog! That is an incentive!
I hope it works for you. I go to bed around 10-11 PM most nights now and am up by 4 AM.
@just4him I went to bed that time last night and ended up sleeping until 11 am this morning!
@just4him, Wow, you do get up early!
@marlina Yes, and I like it, but I always end up falling asleep reading, so I have to go in the living room and read from now on is my new plan because I will be able to sit up there and not tempted to sleep!
That seems early to go to bed at 8. I couldn't do that, I would miss the TV shows that come on at 8 and 9.
@susan2015 I don't watch much tv and when i do I watch it while going to bed because I can't just sit there and watch tv without doing something else even if it includes sleeping!
Sleep can sure be elusive. I have trouble with it too. I am retired and have little reason to be on any certain schedule so I mostly just go with it. Unless I have an appointment or something I really need to be up for.
@celticeagle Yes, i don't usually have someplace to go except next week i am busy all except two days Monday and Thursday!
@Marty1 ....I will be busy next week only on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
@celticeagle I won't be busy Monday and Thursday but they are all good kind of good things except I have to go to my cardiologist again after eight years! The other one I am not mentioning it yet and Tuesday is my therapist at 1 pm my uncle is my ride!
With experiencing different scenarios, you will eventually find the best one for you. Good luck.
@marlina Yes, I am going to try and go early tonight because I slept too late today but did get in a walk outside as it is beautiful this afternoon!
@Marty1 Proud of you that you went for a good walk today.
Now that I am retired, I go to bed 12:00am and wake up at 8ish every day. Some people need less than 8 hours, but it's best to go to sleep at the same time every night. I hope you get your dog!
@diannen That was what my sister said people she works with don't need that much sleep. I used to be VERY heavily medicated, and i needed that sleep, so i am not used to this not needing as much sleep because i needed that sleep 16 years! I will figure it out. THhink i will go to bed at 9 or 10 pm tonight! Stay up reading in bed after i take my meds! I do get a bit dizzy Wait i am always a bit dizzy lol!
@responsiveme (16816)
All the best...10pm to 5 pm sounds OK ....do you go for an early morning walk?
@RESPONSIVEME it is much too cold to go early I go for 15 minutes to start at around noon or 1 pm! The doctor that prescribed this i see Tuesday again so she may have me take longer walks!
It's a bit disturbing for me to be sleeping roughly five to six hours.
@letranknight25 why is it disturbing?
@franxav (5644)
If I go so early to bed I would surely wake up at midnight!
@franxav I am learning that now! It is 8:20pm and i am not in bed yet or planning it so i have some hope!
@Jenning (2022)
• Nigeria
Early to bed, early to rise! Why do you need a Dog?
@jenning I want a dog so badly because I love animals and I live with just my hamster, Marty and i want another companion! I have a great love of all animals!
@Marty1 I hope that you get your wish soon.
@marlina Thank you!