The restaurant that was not there (twice)

Photo is mine
Eugene, Oregon
Like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football that Lucy pulls away, we tried it twice.We are both fans of Greek food, so when I ran across a review of a family run Greek restaurant in town, I suggested that we try it. That was a couple of months back. But wait, their website said they were relocating and were at a different address. So we decided to go there for lunch. The relocation had not happened, was in progress and the old location was closed for that reason. Just yesterday, since it was the one sunny, sort of warm day, we decided again to have lunch out and then stop by a rural winery with a great view. Anne suggested the Greek place again. I assumed that she had verified its existence and it was the direction we needed to go anyway. Well, of course nothing had changed. There was no sign, no restaurant and not a Greek in site to provide an explanation. There was, fortunately, a locally owned pancake restaurant that serves lunch nearby, so we went there. I indulged in an old fashioned roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy, the first time I have had one in over twenty years. I did ask for whole wheat bread though. We went on to enjoy a glass wine and the great view at Sarver Winery.
Sounds like you had a great day even if you didn't get to go to the Greek restaurant. May be the next time you attempt to go it will actually be relocated and opened.
• Eugene, Oregon
I will verify that before we look again.
@cacay1 (32536)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Really, he seems had a very happy hour that time.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
In't that irritating? Speaking of roast beef sandwich, I was coming home from California and crossed over into Nevada and saw a little family ran restaurant . I stopped and when in to order my favorite–hot turkey sandwich. They didn't have that so I order the hot beef sandwich. The waitress came out with a serving size platter heaped with big chunks of roasted beef, mashed potatoes and vegetables (I always order a side of vegetables). I ate it all. Then the waitress asked, "Do you want dessert?" "Dessert?" I asked. "I can hardly walk after eating all that."
• Eugene, Oregon
That sounds like a great meal, hard to drive after eating too.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@JamesHxstatic Yes, it was a great meal and I had to drive afterwards since that was my job at the time–driving motorhomes from L.A. to Spokane.
One fine day, you and Anne just may be able to find that Greek restaurant!!
• Eugene, Oregon
Maybe it exists on a different plane than we do.
@cacay1 (32536)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
That might be someday.
Have you looked into this to see where or what happen?
• Eugene, Oregon
I have not yet, but will before we look for it again for sure, @Amadeo.
@theBlock (2615)
@JamesHxstatic Maybe they serve Greek pancakes---did you have any?
• Eugene, Oregon
No pancakes for lunch for me, maybe breakfast. I know they have Dutch pancakes.
i think i'd be givin' those folks a ring 'n make sure'f their location (perhaps they're currently closed 's schtuff does tend to go awry with such'n undertakin'..) 'fore headin' their direction 'gain. that sandwich sounds yummy, so glad that'cha got to partake'n such. no doubt the view t'was lovely 's well 's the company :)
Well at least there was decent food to eat and it was worth the trip !
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes it turned out okay in the end.
@JamesHxstatic great and what you had for supper there really does a melt in the mouth for hunger . . .
@cacay1 (32536)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
What a great and relaxing day you had,James.
• Eugene, Oregon
That was a very nice day for sure.
@cacay1 (32536)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@JamesHxstatic Very well.
It is always a great let-down when you're looking forward to a meal at a particular restaurant and it is shut or whatever. A roast beef sandwich sounds nice. We are having a roast tonight. It is one of my favourite meals, as long as there is plenty of gravy. :)
• Eugene, Oregon
Ah yes, must have that gravy.
Not so bad!The old fashioned roast beef sandwich to have in the pancake restaurant redeemed the disappointment at not finding the Greek restaurant.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, that was good consolation.
• Bournemouth, England
The pancake restaurant sounds fine - a better alternative to going home with a TV dinner moussaka.
• Eugene, Oregon
No kidding, much better!
@Deepizzaguy (11410)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Sorry to know that your favorite Greek restaurant is gone. At least you found another restaurant to enjoy your meal.
I haven't had a roast beef sandwich and mashed potatoes and gravy in ages.
@FayeHazel (16496)
My dad loves hot beef commercial - as it's called around here. I hope you find that Greek place though, I love Greek food