Murder in Little Egypt

"Little Egypt" is the nickname for an area in Southern Illinois. Some of the towns in "Little Egypt" are Cairo, Metropolis, Thebes, Dongola, Sparta, New Athens, and Palestine. "Little Egypt's" Mississippi and Ohio River valleys also resemble Egypt's Nile delta. "Little Egypt" was a wild and woolly place back in the day. In the 1970s and early 1980s, strangers continued to be shunned if they happened to find themselves in "Little Egypt." A strange place it was, and it may still be today. I attended college in Central Illinois, and I did make friends with a lot of students who came from "Little Egypt." I am amazed not one of those students I knew spoke of the awful incident that occurred in the place they called home. I did read the true-crime novel Murder in Little Egypt by Darcy O'Brien a few months ago, and it was a book that had me thinking or saying out loud: 1. "Oh, my God!" 2. "You have to be kidding me!" 3. "Unbelievable!" 4. "Pure evil!" 5. "How on earth could anyone do this?" 6. "No way!" 7. "This is insane." Murder in Little Egypt is not a scary novel, nor is it too graphic for more sensitive readers. It is merely a riveting read that boggles the mind. Image Attribution: By Fay2 at the English language Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0,
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository Jump to: navigation, search No higher resolution available. Littleegyptmap.PNG ?(227 × 342 pixels, file size: 26 KB, MIME type: image/png) Summary[edit] DescriptionLittleegyptmap.PNG English: map of the Lit
I always consider 'Little Egypt' to be south of me, but I am in that 'division' section between I-64 and I-70. And as far as I know, Palestine is too far north to properly be in 'Little Egypt.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This article is about the geographic region of Southern Illinois. For the university most often referred to as "Southern Illinois", see Southern Illinois University Carbondale. For that scho
I had to search for the towns considered to be in Little Egypt, and Palestine was in the list, but perhaps an error on the part of the researcher:. "Other settlements in the area were also given names with Egyptian, Greek or Middle Eastern origins: The Southern Illinois University Salukis sports teams and towns such as Metropolis, Thebes, Dongola, Palestine, Lebanon, New Athens /nu? 'e???nz/, Sparta, and Karnak." My parents grew up in Centralia, IL, and I heard the names of the Little Egypt towns due to the towns playing Centralia in basketball. I am just surprised that what happened in Little Egypt was never mentioned to me by those I knew from the area.
• Walnut Creek, California
I hadn't heard of this, even though I grew up in Chicago. Maybe I was too busy dodging bullets on the South Side of Chicago to be concerned with what was happening in Southern Illinois. We did go on a Springfield field trip in sixth grade, though.
@TheHorse Hooray for the Springfield trip! I went to college with those from "Little Egypt," and not a word was mentioned about this heinous act. I only knew of it from the book. The TV show, ID, did a segment on this crime. Just glad I saw it after reading the book since I will not read a book if I have too much information.
@topffer (36133)
• Hamburg, Germany
I have had a look at a summary of "Murder in Little Egypt", and it is based in the 1980's, which is an exception : there are a lot of crime/noir novels based in Chicago, but most of them are taking place at the end of the 19th C or in the 1920's, and I was thinking that the reputation that your city got for crimes was a bit overrated today. I am pleased to see that there are still some neighborhoods to perpetuate an old tradition, but I am not sure that a novel like this one will bring a lot of tourists to Chicago.
• Walnut Creek, California
Chicago is to the North in Illinois, while Little Egypt appears to be in the South. There are still many murders in Chicago, but I don't think most of them would be fuel for interesting novels.
@TheHorse A novel would have to be about gang violence regarding the murders in Chicago. Not a riveting read at all, in my opinion.
@topffer What a wonderful archival find!!! Quite an amusing tale! "Morals" definitely are subject to tweaking for convenience sake. In Sin in the Second City the girls were picked up from Ellis Island and sent by train to the brothels in Chicago with promises of a very good life. Politicians and others in high places in France probably visited those brothels as did those in Chicago. Policemen also were frequent visitors and were paid nicely by the madams to look the other way.
thank you for the head up on this.
It is a good read, for sure.
@Corbin5 will look into this.I have so many to read.LOL
@cacay1 (33203)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Corbin5 I do read it soon LOL.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
There's a village in Buckinghamshire, England called Egypt. Apparently it got its name because it was traditionally a place where gypsies settled, and gypsies were believed to originate from Egypt.
Since my parents grew up near Little Egypt, I was familiar with the town name. It is interesting that the Cairo in Little Egypt in Southern Illinois is pronounced "Cay-roe." Interesting that Buckinghamshire goes by the same name.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
@Corbin5 Yes, it's strange. Buckinghamshire is as un-Egypt-like as any place I can imagine.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Corbin5 Goethe Street in Chicago is pronounced go-EE-thee. Heh.
I love those true crime local novels I have read that involve places I know. This book sounds like oneI would like if it was an area I was familar with. It is amazing how local history can be known by so few.
I am amazed I never knew about this since friends in college came from that area. After I read the book, ID on TV did the whole story. Yikes.
@Corbin5 I love watching movies after reading the books.
You got me interested. I will check this book out. Thanks for sharing.
Oh good. It is a great read. Also, Sin in the Second City is a fabulous read too.
hmm, gonna need to give momma a heads'p to fetch this book :) though i bet such t'was a shock to the senses to read 'f this.
It was, but a great read. After I read the book, they did do a segment about the murder on the TV show, Forensic Files.
@Corbin5 don't reckon i knew'f such a program? 'course, we get basic channels 'round here'n 2 ol' movies'uns, lol. momma 'tis'n the lookout fer said book - she's hopin' they've such available fer her kindle now that she'd be spoiled to such.
@crazyhorseladycx Oh, I do hope it is available on her Kindle. She would really enjoy the book!
Sounds like an intriguing novel.
It is. After I read the book, the crime was on an episode of Forensic Files.
@Corbin5 Wow! Talk about coincidence.
I've only been to Big Egypt.
Well, do not go to Little Egypt. Maybe it has calmed down a bit there, but I think I would still avoid the area.
@Corbin5 I don't think you'll find me there anytime soon! Big Egypt either!
@mythociate (15963)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
But it shows you 'what not to do' in order to help prevent your current location from becoming another "Little Egypt," yeah?
It sure does. Not sure what Little Egypt is like these days, but I think I will steer clear of the area.
@epiffanie (10404)
wow! I would love to read that book .
Yes, this crime did happen, and the crime is a shocking one due to the individual who committed it.
@cacay1 (33203)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
The title itself so horror, contents more
Well, it really did happen, and it is not filled with horror, but with something a person did that is beyond a normal person's imagination.
@FayeHazel (20079)
Wow, sounds interesting. Why is it called Little Egypt? Is it because that resemblance to the Nile delta that you mentioned?
Well, the names of the towns, Cairo, Sparta, and Thebes most-likely were the reason for the name. Real crime that is a shocking one.
• Preston, England
sounds intriguing
It really is a riveting read. I am picky about the books I read. If an author does not grab me from the start, I abandon the book. This one grabs the reader from page 1 and just keeps on grabbing. My kind of book.
@acelawrites (12316)
It could be a good read; could understand about the people and the place if what he had written were based on true stories.
Yes, the murder was featured on the show Forensic Files. I am in awe that I never knew this murder occurred.
I think that your comments are appropriate reactions to what I read.
Yes, I was in shock.
• Walnut Creek, California
It was a novel? Hmm. Was it based on anything that really happened?
Yes, it is real. Shocking. Cannot believe I never heard of it happening. It was presented on the TV show Forensic Files after I read the book. It is a murder that is beyond comprehension.
Very interesting sounds a place I might want to avoid.
I read that bar fights were big there back in the day. They had a wooden barrel to hold the blood and any teeth that fell out due to a fight. Sounds like a yucky place to me. Hopefully, it is more civilized these days.