It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!

@moffittjc (47545)
Gainesville, Florida
As if a dozen pumpkins around my front yard weren't enough, I found this beauty on the way home from work today, and I just had to have it! The only problem is, I didn't have time to carve it before I got dressed up to go out trick-or-treating, so I now have a big, giant un-carved pumpkin sitting at my front door! lol How about you? Did you carve a pumpkin for Halloween?
No pumpkin carving for me this year
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
What is wrong with everybody this year??? Nobody wanted to carve a pumpkin! That's half the fun of Halloween! I am so disappointed in you! I'm going to have to march right out there and give you a piece of my mind! lol
@moffittjc Lol I carved a pumpkin a few years ago with my parents lol!
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby One can never be too old to carve a pumpkin!
I bought one pumpkin this year. Trust me, it was hard for me not to buy more. I usually buy at least 3! I didn't bother carving the pumpkin. I will eventually take out the seeds to roast them.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
I usually only buy one, but I went a little crazy this year and bought a dozen. Well, with today's big-boy purchase, that makes it a baker's dozen! Perfect number for Halloween!
@moffittjc I hope you are roasting the seeds. They are very high in fiber.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ElusiveButterfly I haven't yet, but I probably will soon. I usually roast seeds every year.
That really is a whopper and I hope it won't be wasted. I did nothing for Halloween, we don't bother much in England.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
From what I hear from some of your fellow countrymen, Halloween is slowly gaining in popularity. I have a friend in another European country who said this year was the first time in her life she went trick-or-treating, as Halloween is starting to get more popular.
@moffittjc Yes, I believe that it is getting more popular, but it hasn't really reached my corner of the UK yet.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@jaboUK Let me know what corner of the UK you live in, and I'll make sure to bring trick-or-treaters to see you next Halloween! haha
no I had no where to put one either. That was a nice big one you got.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
It was the last big one left on the lot. They had tons of the little tiny ones, and this poor big granddaddy was all by himself in a corner! I just couldn't leave him there alone with all those baby pumpkins!
@moffittjc What are you going to do with it?
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@sharon6345 I was planning on carving it, but realized when I got home from work that I didn't have time. So, I will probably figure out a way to use it in some sort of Thanksgiving decoration! And yes, I am one of those freaks that doesn't start decorating for Christmas the day after Halloween ends! hahaha
No, I do not carve pumpkins for Halloween, but I decorated our table and had a special dinner to celebrate the day.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
That was nice that you celebrated in your own little special way! I know several people who decorate the inside of their home with Halloween decorations, while others decorate the outside of their home.
@moffittjc Nobody decorates here, so I avoided to put decorations outside that would have made people skeptical.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck I would have put out decorations just to be different from everyone else! Because I'm a rebel like that! haha
@JESSY3236 (7840)
I used to, but I don't do it anymore because of the mess.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
The mess is half the fun of carving a pumpkin and/or decorating your house!
@JESSY3236 (7840)
@moffittjc I did have a little witch outside, but she kept falling down so I brought her in early. Also I had a glowing ghost (he don't glow anymore though), but either wind or something made him fall and he broke into two pieces. I do have a scarecrow wreath that is still on the door.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JESSY3236 I put a hay bale out on my front porch, and then set a skeleton on top of the hay bale, so when you walk up it looks like the skeleton is sitting on the hay.
@LoriAMoore (4696)
I like to see it when they give leftover pumpkins to the animals to play with and eat at our zoo. The elephants like them.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
I like watching those shows where they launch pumpkins from the catapults to see how far they can fly before splattering into a million pieces! Hmmm....maybe I should try that! It can't be that hard to build a catapult, right? lol
@cacay1 (33192)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@LoriAMoore , wow, nice image of yours now
Well not since daddy passed or the little ones left home, have we bothered with carving a pumpkin and since mom and I are both allergic to the insides, we did not get any . . . WOW that one is a huge one
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've noticed too that many people get ceramic or plastic pumpkins to set out as decorations, so at least you have an option since you are allergic to real pumpkin!
@moffittjc yeah but I forgot based on lack of money (more like the motivational lacked source) to even get a ceramic or plastic one this year . . . I reaped different things from the wonderful Pagan celebration
Have fun with it when you do get to carving it. You'll have lots of pumpkin for pumpkin pie. Didn't you say that was a favorite of yours?
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
I love pumpkin pie, but I have no idea how to make it from a real pumpkin! But I have roasted the seeds before!
@moffittjc Time to find a cookbook or go online for recipes on how to make it. Sounds like you have enough pumpkin for it.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@just4him Maybe I can talk the kids into helping me and we can make a fun afternoon out of it!
@kevin1877uk (36985)
WOW that massive, No I didn't but my housemate did before she went off to work.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, you'll have to ask your housemate to judge whose is bigger!
@kevin1877uk (36985)
@moffittjc Her's is tiny to yours lol..
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kevin1877uk so you're admitting you took a peek at hers?
@pahak627 (4246)
Pumpkins are really very big. I haven't seen a pumpkin in all my life. We don't have that here. I used to believe that pumpkin is similar to squash but as I see it, they are different.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
There are smaller pumpkins that are the size of squash, but pumpkins can come in all different shapes and sizes.
@pahak627 (4246)
@moffittjc So you also have squash over there. Do pumpkin and squash have the same taste?
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@pahak627 I've never eaten pumpkin except in pumpkin pie, so not sure if it is the same taste as squash.
@Poppylicious (10104)
Nope. That's a mahoosive specimen. Will you be eating lots of pumpkin soup and pie over the next few weeks?!
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
I never really planned on making any pumpkin pies with the pumpkins afterward, I'll usually leave them sitting out through our Thanksgiving holiday (at the end of November), but I have a lot of pumpkins this year, so maybe I'll try making a pie or two!
Nope but I have a ceramic pumpkin in my window lol
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, that still counts, ceramic or not!
Didn't carve a pumpkin this past Halloween, perhaps next year. That is an awesome find! What are you planning to do with it?
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm thinking about stuffing it with fireworks and setting them off and blowing up the pumpkin! Or maybe throw it off the top of a tall building and watch it splatter on the ground below!
@moffittjc between the two, I'd prefer to do the first one! Messier, louder, and definitely more fun!
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@allen0187 I like the way you think! Now, If I can just find my stash of fireworks leftover from the 4th of July....
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
Nah we didn't go out this year. And we didn't do pumpkins either. What did you dress up as?
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
I can't believe you didn't go trick-or-treating!!! Why not? I dressed up as a zombie, wearing a YOLO shirt. See if you can appreciate the irony in that!
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@moffittjc Kiddo is with her grandparents tonight so we really didn't have a reason to go. I hate the yolo shirts but at least yours is funny.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
@thislittlepennyearns I hate them too, but it was perfectly fitting for the occasion.
@MarymargII (10860)
• Toronto, Ontario
No we're in an apartment- but I did buy a little one for a decoration!
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, then, we can just say your little one balanced out my big one! haha
@MarymargII (10860)
• Toronto, Ontario
@moffittjc I guess you won't be carving it now- just keep it hanging around until you have to get rid of it?
• Eugene, Oregon
We did not carve one this year and had a quiet, rainy evening.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
A rainy evening is a perfect evening for Halloween...if you want to keep the trick-or-treaters away! lol
@cacay1 (33192)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
So big, are you going to cook that? How much is per kilo hehehhe, just asking for I am so intrigued of its size.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have no idea how much it weighs, but it was pretty heavy! I have no plans to cook it, but if someone else wants it to make pumpkin pie or bread, I will gladly give it to them.
@xstitcher (13013)
• Petaluma, California
I like to get the seeds out of a pumpkin and roast them.
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, roasted pumpkin seeds are delicious!
@mesbakh (2370)
wow it must be heavy pumpkin to carry
@moffittjc (47545)
• Gainesville, Florida
It was a very heavy pumpkin! I hurt my shoulder holding it like I did in the picture!