Happy, but with reservations...

I do a lot of audio recording of acts when I run sound for them at shows. Early in September, I had shared a bit here in myLot of The Honey Vines that I recorded at the Berryville Harvestfest. I was pretty happy with how the songs had come out. And of course, I sent the band files (for free) of the recordings I made from the soundboard. Late last night, I found out 7 of those recordings are now for sale on their site. To me, that's very cool...they thought my work was worthy of public distribution. But after a bit, I started wondering...and thinking it would have been nice to have been informed they were going to do it, and to have got some type of credit...maybe just throw my name out there. They did at least call me 'awesome'. "Happy Halloween! We are celebrating today with the release of a Live CD recorded at our recent show at Berryville Vineyards Harvest Festival! We had an awesome sound man who recorded the whole show. So, we picked our favorite 7 songs from the day for this Live CD. Check it out at TheHoneyVines.com " Perhaps I am just a bit disgruntled because I have been giving them free advertising via posting a few of the tracks to youtube and handing out their business cards to club owners and such that I think would be interested in hiring them, and to mention my name in their announcement would have returned the favor. I can always use a word or two to help MY business. But it is what it is, I guess. At least I can point at it to people I know and say "Yeah....I did that".
Berryville Vineyards Harvestfest 2016
I think that they could have at least gave you credit for it. You should have been informed ahead of time of their plans were when it came to releasing your recordings. I think you should mention it to them and let them know how you feel. Yes they did call you awesome but your name should have been there as well.
@JolietJake That's a good idea. Think about it first and maybe it will just kind of come up in conversation.
Hey @Happy2BeMe promoting bands is a difficult job
@enlightenedpsych2 Yes it would be!
I would have thought that they would have been legally obligated to advise you that they were using your recordings, hopefully word of mouth will get your name out there more and more.
If they threw them out for free (like I did) it wouldn't bug me (as much) but they're charging $1 per song to download them. It's like if yer gonna make money off of me, at least say it's me.
@JolietJake They're pimping you out!!!
You should inform YouTube Moderator that they are "stealing" your work.
@WorDazza (10100)
• Manchester, England
I think a name check is the least you should get. Maybe even a small pay cheque too.
I wouldn't be adverse to a spot of cash, but I'd have been very happy with an honorable mention
@WorDazza (10100)
• Manchester, England
@JolietJake If they're charging $1 per download then a token gesture of 1% wouldn't kill them but at least would show a bit of appreciation.
Why not tell them how you feel? They may not have done it maliciously and may be able to learn.
I got a friend request on facebook from one of them about an hour ago, I may say something, but I may not.
@Mike197602 (13899)
If it was me I'd email them in a nice way and ask for a name check at least.
@vandana7 (66871)
I heard this one and the other one ...nice ...and yes, they should have included your name..how bad...
Yah, I think it would have only been courteous to give credit where credit is due, especially since they are selling something you did - that which you gave to them for free. It's great they think you're an awesome sound man, but a name attached to that would have been awesome too.
Job well done.
@Jenning (2022)
• Nigeria
So is their any credit as regarding you in this that they are doing? Been that it is your work...
Nope, the only mention is 'an amazing sound man'...
@Jenning (2022)
• Nigeria
@JolietJake Lolz. What are you doing about it?
@Jenning Probably going to wipe my hands of the whole affair...
@ElicBxn (60895)
Yeah... a mention even! Good grief! I still think they should'a paid ya...
I saw Andrea commented on my facebook post...she appears to miss the point that they are selling the performances rather than just sharing them with their fans...but it's not worth my time to debate with her
@ElicBxn (60895)
You'll get the credit that is due to you soon enough. Perhaps, not from the band but definitely from some bigwig that will help you out and get your services for a handsome fee.
You could still get some credit for that, Lamb.
I wish they had mentioned you as well. Perhaps they will do some word of mouth a little later down the road, or mention you on Facebook at least. You are still giving them free press by posting here.
It is hard on nice people sometimes. They do something nice and then, after some thought, wonder if they have gotten enough or adequate credit. I think that is the risk we take for being nice.
Good job and thank you for sharing !
I guess when you do stuff have something they sign that allows you to record, and notes that you will provide copies for their use, but any thing sold has to have credit where credit is due, because that's just really low of them
I do think they should have given you more credit for your hard work.
You should have been mentioned by name and given a bit from the proceeds, in my opinion. I would be a bit upset over that slight.
@LoriAMoore (4670)
Definitely not proper etiquette for then to appropriate your work with no credit, appreciation, or royalties.