Hey Guys...

Wow, it's been a while. I hated being gone so long, but I wasn't in a happy place and had nothing exciting to write about. My job has got me so depressed that I had a breakdown the other day and started crying at work in front of everyone. It was so embarrassing. Here's what's been going on... I work at a German grocery store that basically treats it's employees as though they are in the military. Each employee must work hard and work fast and they have to do the work of 3-4 employees put together. Everything we do is timed and if we are seen not working, we get in trouble. At the end of the day, we receive a chart from the computer that tells us our "stats" for the day. How many items we rang per second, how many seconds of a break we took between customers, how many seconds it took to collect the payment, etc. We need to keep those times within a certain amount. This adds a lot of stress because we get customers who can be very slow or difficult to deal with and this ruins our time. It's a complete nightmare. Apparently there is a new German grocery store that is making it's way to the U.S. so my store is getting ready to face it's first real threat, business-wise. As a result, the company is flipping out and putting a HUGE amount of work on us to try to make the stores the best. This extra work is pushing everyone to their breaking points. Every day we are having to stay several hours past the end of our shift. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. We can't make plans, we can't see our families, we can't do anything.... People are quitting left and right. People who have been there for years. Really good employees that this company can't afford to lose.....all leaving because in it's panic, the company is forgetting how to take care of it's employees. I worked a 12 hour shift with no break the other day and got so stressed out that I just started crying right there in front of everyone. It takes a lot to get me to that point. I went out the back door, sat by the dumpster, and cried for quite a while. I hate what this job is doing to me. I'm stressed all the time, I no longer feel positive, I don't want to do the things that once made me happy, etc. It's awful. I hate working until passed 1 in the morning and then having to be back at 6am to work another long shift. It's not right to be treated this way. I've been desperately looking for another job but it's not easy. I need something that pays just as much as I'm making now and it has to have great benefits. Please help me pray that something comes up for me. I'm sorry this post is so long and it's just me complaining.... I don't mean to be so negative but I just needed to vent and I want everyone to understand what I'm going through. Thank you for the prayers. I hope you've all been doing well. I'm going to try to keep writing on here more in hopes to keep my mind clear...
@IvySaysHi (4212)
I am so sorry you have to deal with that. those are terrible rules for a human being to have to deal with.
The stress is too much to handle. I'm hoping to find a new job soon...
@Ghostdmo I agree... :-(
@Ghostdmo I'll try not to :-)
I was wondering where you were. Glad you are back, this is there perfect place to vent and let out your frustrations. I am sorry that you are dealing with all the stress. It is no wonder you had a breakdown. A person can only take so much. I pram that you something better soon.
Thank you very much. I don't like to vent much but as you can tell from the breakdown, sometimes bottling things up makes them worse. I need to work on keeping my stress level down...
@missjessicadawn I am working on that too. I have been having a lot of health issues lately because of stress.
@Happy2BeMe Same here. I'm having so much trouble sleeping because of the stress and it's making things worse... :-(
@Orson_Kart (4111)
Do you work for Lidl or Aldi? Ironically, if you worked in Germany they would have to abide by the EU Working Time Directive. This means you are entitled to breaks and at least 11 hours between shifts so you can get some rest. I thought slavery had been abolished in the US? Clearly not! Do yourself a favour and resign before they seriously your health.
I work for Aldi... Lidl is the other store coming to the U.S. that is becoming a threat for us... I wish they went by the EU Working Time Directive here.... I don't mind hard work, but this is insane!
@missjessicadawn We have both of the stores here in the UK, but like in Germany they have to stick to the Working Time Directive. Are there no employment laws in the US? It seems insane for them to expect you to work with little sleep and no rest breaks. I would write to Head Office in Germany.
@Orson_Kart There are laws on breaks but I'm not sure about the time given between shifts... I need to figure it out...
I will help you pray that you find a better job than this one. The job you have now sounds like a nightmare. You have skills my friend, and I do hope you can use them in a nice place of work.
I really appreciate it. I'm actually a super fast learner and a very hard worker. I'm confident I could do well in almost any job, I just need to find one that pays well and has great benefits. Thank you so much for the prayers. :-)
@missjessicadawn Ah yes, the benefits are a must. You have talent my friend, and I am praying right now that the job that is just right for you comes your way.
@Corbin5 That means a lot. Thank you very much! :-)
Wow! That company of yours sure forgot your human beings and NOT machines! I know you need the job badly but you need rest and private time too. Well, if they keep this up, they will surely run down and loose their businesses and it won't be the economy to blame.
I agree. People are leaving left and right so they need to get this fixed before it's too late.
Glad to say I never had to live up to such stats when I was a cashier.
It's definitely not my ideal job...
That sounds lie an outrageous way to treat employees, I hope you can find something else soon.
I hope so too :-(
Hey and, good to see you again, prayers going out that you can find a better job.
I really appreciate that! Thank you! :-)
Your job sounded pretty negative from the previous posts you made and you sounded down but had a solider on glad to have a job attitude. From your description this job will put you into the ground and you are going to reach a point of what is worse, this job killing you or the perils of unemployment.
I've been struggling to hold on to some positivity. I truly am grateful to have a job, but the toll it's taking on my health and mental state is getting to be too much... :-(
@ms1864 (6947)
• Bangalore, India
i remember you mentioning how stressful your job was getting a few weeks ago...sorry to hear it has only gotten worse.