57 Students Hospitalized: Fire Extinguisher Side Effects

By DEX
@Dextoi (1963)
Philippines
November 3, 2016 2:15am CST
October 29, 2016, all colleges of our university participated in the Gabi ng Sayawan (Night of Dances) – Wanna Be Contest which is one of the big events for the university’s sports festival. One of the participating teams imitated a music video of Katy Perry’s Fireworks. They used a fire extinguisher to replicate the smoke effects in the video. Prior to the event, the said team was to use a “Fountain firework” but was not permitted because it may cause fire accidents within the enclosed venue. Hence, they used a fire extinguisher for their performance! The students experienced difficulty in breathing, dizziness and headache because of the exposure to the dry chemical. Fifty-seven students were brought to the school’s clinic for first aid and were later brought to the nearest hospital. The next day, our university doctor issued a statement declaring that all the students were safe. The student council's president released his statement regarding the issue and was grateful to those who helped that night and that all students were safe. The incident resulted to cancellation of the night’s activity and other sports events for the following days until further notice.
12 people like this
14 responses
@SIMPLYD (74827)
• Philippines
3 Nov 16
Oh that is so sad . Didn't anybody know that a fire extinguisher when used and sniffed can really make one sick ?
2 people like this
@SIMPLYD (74827)
• Philippines
3 Nov 16
@Dextoi And i am happy to know everyone is already okay . That will serve as a lesson to everybody .
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
3 Nov 16
@SIMPLYD that's one hard earned lesson not only to the participants but also to the whole university. I know for sure that the student council has to carry the responsibility because they allowed the use of the extinguishing unit. If they were not so sure about their decision as to allow or disallow it, they would have given the participating team enough time to either reconsider or wait for the council to do their research...
1 person likes this
@SIMPLYD (74827)
• Philippines
3 Nov 16
@Dextoi I agree .
1 person likes this
@tammys85 (8283)
• United States
4 Nov 16
That's terrible! I'm glad they're safe, and I hope the injured students are okay.
1 person likes this
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
6 Nov 16
Few days after this incident, there was no news about other students having symptoms of hypoxia...
1 person likes this
@tammys85 (8283)
• United States
7 Nov 16
@Dextoi Aaah, well hopefully that means they're okay then.
1 person likes this
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
7 Nov 16
@tammys85 Yes, Tammy... it made an alarm that it made the nation-wide news... Bad thing is, their annual sports fest is still not scheduled...
1 person likes this
@JudyEv (96538)
• Bunbury, Australia
14 Nov 16
Gosh, that could have been really serious. I'm glad they are all okay.
1 person likes this
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
14 Nov 16
Yes, they are all fine... but their sports festival was not that well-celebrated... I feel sad for the graduating batch having to experience their last sports festival with disappointment
1 person likes this
@JudyEv (96538)
• Bunbury, Australia
14 Nov 16
@Dextoi It is a shame isn't it? But at least they are all okay.
@allen0187 (26178)
• Philippines
14 Nov 16
Saw this in the news. What were they thinking? Good thing that everyone was safe.
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
14 Nov 16
the sadder thing is that "nobody was actually thinking"... I may sound too pessimistic on our own university... but that incident was way beyond stupid...
1 person likes this
@allen0187 (26178)
• Philippines
14 Nov 16
@Dextoi I guess they weren't aware that an actual smoke machine can be used to create the effect that they want for their performance.
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
14 Nov 16
@allen0187 I think they went "the budget" way... lol...
1 person likes this
@LadyDuck (118231)
• Switzerland
3 Nov 16
I am sorry that they were not informed that breathing the chemicals from a fire extinguisher can be dangerous. I am glad they are all safe.
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
6 Nov 16
They did not do any research before hand. I think, they believe that what does not cause fire accidents is safe...
1 person likes this
@LadyDuck (118231)
• Switzerland
6 Nov 16
@Dextoi Most people do not know that the fire extinguishers contain chemicals.
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
7 Nov 16
@LadyDuck They must have seen that youtube video of The King of Random - DIY Projects... he made an ice cream made of dry ice... and he used a fire extinguisher to obtain dry ice...
1 person likes this
@magallon (17098)
• Philippines
7 Nov 16
Was there nobody who informed them about the effects of inhaling these chemicals from fire extinguishers? Good that they are all safe now...
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
7 Nov 16
this is also one of the many questions in my mind. But I think if the student council's decision about the use of the fire extinguisher was kind of a bit late, there's a good chance that nobody was able to tell them about the side effects of dry chemicals.
1 person likes this
@magallon (17098)
• Philippines
8 Nov 16
@Dextoi Accidents do happens sometimes. Nobody wanted it to happen...
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
8 Nov 16
@magallon Yes... good thing the Emergency Response Team is on stand by that time...
1 person likes this
@mesbakh (176)
• Indonesia
3 Nov 16
it is bad news. fire is double edge, we need but alos have to avoid it. be aware of fire
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
3 Nov 16
Can you explain further?
@mesbakh (176)
• Indonesia
3 Nov 16
@Dextoi i mean, human need fire cor cookign etc. but in other side, fire can kill people , destroy houses etc
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
3 Nov 16
@mesbakh yes, but in this incident, there was no fire... It's just the fire extinguisher.. Thank you for your thoughts though
@jstory07 (56908)
• Roseburg, Oregon
7 Nov 16
Using a real fire extinguisher can really be dangerous.
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
7 Nov 16
especially when there's no real fire going on..
@puroypoi (274)
• Cainta, Philippines
4 Nov 16
i saw this headline news but i never saw the details, so it happens in your place. is it necessary to use that fire extinguisher? why not sort on dry ice if they just want a background effect on the program?
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
6 Nov 16
I think the student council decided to let them use the fire extinguisher instead of the firework. Yes, there are other alternatives but, I think, they did not use their heads when they opt for the fire extinguisher
1 person likes this
@Shavkat (44844)
• Philippines
3 Nov 16
It really spoils the event.
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
7 Nov 16
yes... until now the students are still waiting for their sports festival to resume
@rymebristol (1788)
• Philippines
3 Nov 16
Some fire extinguishers uses CO2 which means that the oxygen level in that enclosed venue will gradually drop since the emission of CO2 gas happened, making it difficult for the audience to breathe.
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
7 Nov 16
that's what most probably did happened.. most of the victims, as i have heard, were asthmatic
• Philippines
3 Nov 16
WOW I have at least two fire extinguishers here! Looks like might need to have these check on. And only use it emergencies.
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
3 Nov 16
That's fine as long as the pressure gauges hasn't dropped. We have one here for more than a year. We took it to the supplier to check, they said it was still fine. Just don't ingest the dry chemical
@TRBRocks420 (60722)
• Banks, Oregon
3 Nov 16
Sorry to hear this and, I hope they will make a full recovery.
@Dextoi (1963)
• Philippines
3 Nov 16
I think they did, sir... It's a great thing that our university's medical and emergency response team are working overtime for the safety of the students. Without them, it would have been too hard to alleviate the situation
@jaboUK (50070)
• United Kingdom
14 Nov 16
That was an extremely stupid thing to do, I'm glad that no-one was seriously ill.