They have the nerve to call this a Democracy.

@Asylum (48283)
Manchester, England
5 months ago Britain had a referendum on Brexit, which resulted in the British people voting to leave the European Union. Since then there have been constant delays, with next March being set as a time to begin the 2 year process of leaving. The latest development is that the matter was brought before the High Court. Yesterday the court ruled that the process could not be started without the consent of Parliament. Parliament will now be in a position to insist on certain criteria or conditions being met before triggering Article 50, or even constantly delaying the process ad infinitum. This effectively negates the whole concept of the referendum. How can this possibly qualify as democratic?
This is what my husband and I were discussing today. Why have an (expensive!) referendum when it can be overruled or altered by an act of Parliament? The voters must feel screwed.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
That is an understatement. Back in 1973 we had a referendum about joining the European Union, the result of which was accepted because it complies with what the government wanted. This time the result was contrary to their wishes, which has been a mockery ever since.
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Democracy comes in different flavours, doncha know? Whichever hat fits...
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Very true, it seems to operate on the basis that the people can have anything they want, providing that it suits the government.
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Asylum By that measure, if the powers that be want out, then out we shall go... It's just a matter of when.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@pgntwo Or under what circumstances. If they agree on keeping most of the aspects that caused people to vote LEAVE, then Brexit will become pointless.
The "people have a say in government" is not a reality these days. It is a farce. Same thing in the USA.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
This particular instance is an outrageous demonstration of that fact.
@Asylum We are lied to on a regular basis in the USA.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@Corbin5 This was not just someone lying to us because Theresa May did not go back on her commitment. We were simply cheated.
@topffer (33152)
• France
I think that UK is a great democracy. I was quite sure that the High Court would follow the "bad losers", and not only because the Lord Chief Justice said several times that he was "baffled" by the government's arguments. Come on, in any democracy worth this name the executive power does not take an important decision without the consent of the Parliament ! And for what I read, the Parliament in UK can reverse something approved by a referendum... It happened in France in 2005, you would not be the first.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
This does not change the fact that it is far from democratic.
@topffer (33152)
• France
@Asylum I do not see what is not democratic here ? The case was "The Queen on application of 1 Gina Miller & 2 Deir Tozetti Dos Santos (Claimants) and The Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union (Defendant)". The judges have sided for the Queen against the government, it is a perfect application of democracy in a constitutional monarchy. And actually nothing proves that the Parliament will not approve the Brexit.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@topffer My point is that since the population has expressed their choice, parliament should not have the option of blocking it. As for the two people who instigated the court hearing, one was born in Guyana and the other in Spain.
@ourlot (995)
I don't think the parliament will vote for "we are OK in the EU." That would be a complete disregard for the voice of all citizens. And I don't believe this will change any negotiation with the EU about the conditions after Brexit. It will imply just an additional step, that is, to ask parliament. Once you have the confirmation, May is free to negotiate and press the eject button (in March or when it's convenient).
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Since parliament will have control over what criteria apply, they could insist on maintaining many of the conditions that people have voted to leave behind. This would constitute Brexit on paper while the same scenario remains.
@vandana7 (62279)
We need everything scrapped and rewritten. We got that legacy from the British...and we know what struggle it is.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Many countries had British attitudes forced upon them during the days of the Empire.
I thought that you had democracy, now this does not sound to be very democratic. I wonder why to ask the population if then you do not listen to the population. It looks like Italy seen this way.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
This was a simple case of expecting the vote to be to remain, in which case they could pretend that the opinions of the public are important to them. This happened in 1975 when we voted to remain part of the EU. Since the vote went the other way the plan backfired, so it is now blatant that our opinion is worthless.
@Asylum "The voice of the people is the voice of God" seems to have no more importance. Our Governments do what they want and they do not care to listen to the people. The whole world is switching to a form of dictatorship.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck This has been gradually developing for many years now and is one of the main reasons why we voted to remove the control of the European Union.
@Inlemay (16484)
• South Africa
“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.” ~ Winston S. Churchill
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Winston Churchill was not my idea of a Democratic leader.
@Inlemay (16484)
• South Africa
@Asylum Are any of them ever?
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@Inlemay A very good point.
Oh, something is amiss. When I saw that I just shook my head. Why does Parliament have to consent to begin the process? This could get ugly.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
This is likely to result in parliament choosing to maintain the aspects of the EU that people are trying to remove. The referendum was obviously expected to result in a vote to remain in the EU and therefore just a token offer. Now that the result is contrary to what the government wanted democracy has been completely forgotten. In the words of the great Queen Victoria “We are not amused”.
@Asylum Well, I totally feel your frustration with the government on this nail biting day of days.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries The Prime Minister is considering contesting the decision by appealing, but many politicians are insisting that a decision to leave the EU must be approved by the government and House of Lords. I find this ridiculous because it amounts to saying that what the population wants is irrelevant.
• Portland, Connecticut
Makes you wonder why David Cameron bolted so quickly!! Oh yah, probably because he knew this was coming lol
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
David Cameron had spoken about restricting the powers held by the House of Lords, which would have certainly made Brexit much easier.
I think our President is somewhat trying to change our constitution here to make it similar to yours, looks like we'll be having the same as yours in the future.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Democracy appears to have become a meaningless title over the years.