Pumpkin's Positive Post: What an Amazing Year...

United Kingdom
Good morning. I hope you are all well. I just wanted to show off a little, and spread some happiness. While there have been a few glitches and annoyances this year, it's been nothing major (and, unlike in previous years, any problems have been dealt with, not lead to further problems, and things have actually settled rather than adding stress after stress). Generally, however, it has been a wonderful year. There have been a couple of changes and, hopefully in the coming months, there may be a couple more. These are all good, though. Mini has had a great start at secondary school (apart from losing several coats), Midi has made a good start at college and seems to be enjoying it. I recently completed my degree after studying for 5 years. I can now put letters after my name. D came to the graduation ceremony with me a couple of weeks ago. He's been so supportive. I am certain that I'd have done better had I met him sooner but I passed and that's the main thing. I saw the way he looked at me throughout the ceremony. I am proud of myself but I could see how proud he was of me. In some ways, that meant more to me than getting the degree. I'm quite convinced he was at least twice as proud of me as I was of myself! He told me he had a dream after that. He dreamt that he was collecting his doctorate at the same time his granddaughter collected her bachelor's degree. As he said, it's highly unlikely and would be 20+ years away. It isn't impossible, though. D has a BSc and MA. He did start a PhD but couldn't finish it due to health. Anyway, in his dream, he said, upon accepting his accolade, that the occasion was not so special for him but because his granddaughter was graduating. Speaking of granddaughters, we're expecting another grandchild. Not sure if this one is a boy or girl. I was a little upset that we hadn't been told sooner. I recall that D was told pretty much straight away with the first but, for some reason, I knew before him this time, and his daughter was already about 7 months pregnant. We're working on the relationship with his family. Well, I'm trying and he says he is. Hopefully, all being well with Baby 2, his daughter will be bringing our two grandchildren up to visit (they live 200 miles away) for New Year. I really hope they do because we've missed out so much on Baby 1 as we only saw her once when she was 2 weeks old. If they come up (and, if his other daughter ever responds to any messages, she might come too), that will absolutely make our year. Speaking of an amazing year, D and I got engaged and we have been talking about getting married, but that will be in about 2 years. This week, I won Slimming World's 'Miss Slinky' competition for the group I attend. I've kept off the 6 stone I lost. I really ought to get myself motivated to tone up again but I can't seem to get into a routine! As for work, well, that's been up and down but I've had some good opportunities and, while I'd previously often send hundreds of applications and be lucky to get a single interview, I've actually had a few interviews and offers. Still looking and trying to find the right thing and the right balance but I'm keeping going so that's all good. Next year, we're hoping to move house. That's been a bit of a pain but we'll get there. Once we've moved, D suggested that we give it a year and then plan to get married. I think that's a good idea. He's the girly one with that sort of thing! He said he wants a simple ceremony with just our closest family and oldest friends. Although, he's also said about a marriage being more about the marriage than the day (I know what he means) but then also keeps telling me it's up to me because it's my day. I keep reminding him that it will be his day too! He's also decided he wants our granddaughter and my niece to be bridesmaids. The only thing I've said is that I don't want a registry office wedding because I don't like our local registry office. Other than that, I've told him that he can choose all the weddingy stuff as long as I can decide on the reception and have all of our friends there too. Of course, if I am to have our granddaughter as a bridesmaid, we're going to have to make some effort to spend lots more time with her over the next year :) Well, that's about all from me. I just want to say how amazing this year has been, and how it's only going to get more amazingerer. Oh, speaking of amazing, have you seen Doctor Strange? It's great, you should watch it. I took Mini and his friend. Tell me all about how your year has been so far. Anything you'd like to shout from the rooftops?
I am glad that your year has been amazing. We had so many problems, some small, some not that I cannot wait to see this year go.
I had a lot of years like that, which is why I am so grateful for even the smallest good thing when it comes along. :) I hope your year improves and next year is a good one for you.
@pumpkinjam I hope too, not all the years are good, I hope the problems will be over by the end of the year. Thanks.
I admire you for your steadiness of purpose in life and your goals. I am very happy for you and D's engagement and commitment to each other with the intention to "tie the knot" as One in marriage. I wish you and D peace, happiness and long life together, @pumpkinjam :-)
Thank you. :)
I'm glad you've had such a good year. I hope all your hopes and dreams some to fruition over time. Sounds like you're all well on the way.