I inadvertently made a cashier mad over my purchase, did I do anything wrong?

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I went to my cardiologist Friday; then my sister took me to get a Pittsburgh library card so that I can use the Pittsburgh E-library. Then we went to Arby's for dinner, (hey! I had coupons!), Then we went grocery shopping for me at Wal-Mart. Here is where I am afraid I made a cashier angry at Wal-Mart, I tried to talk nicely to him so that he would calm down, though I didn't do anything! All I did was going to the checkout line I smelled chicken and went to get the cooked rotisserie chicken and bought it. That is what made the cashier angry. He started screaming he was mad because he just had a baked potato for lunch and my chicken smelled great! Then I asked him what time he worked until, and he said 10 pm and I asked if he had a dinner break and he screamed yes, but he can't eat a whole chicken. Is that my fault he didn't eat a big enough lunch as he was a big guy. After that, I tried talking to him to make him feel better, and he ignored me! Did I do anything wrong? I feel bad. I don't like to upset anyone.
He was so out of line and very unprofessional. I would have contacted the manager right then and there.
@susan2015 I didn't want to cause trouble worry he may take actions against me. I live with just Marty, my hamster; I don't want retaliation
@Marty1 You do not want anyone going after your hamster.
@jstory07 Exactly as he would not fight back as he will not bite no matter what! He is a pacifist like me!
@yukimori (9072)
Nope, that's entirely on him. I would have had a word to his manager about his absurd overreaction.
@yukimori I don't want the guy to get scolded to lose his job or a demotion in position.
@yukimori (9072)
@Marty1 Why not? Those are the natural consequences of his behavior towards customers. He doesn't deserve to have a customer-facing position if he can't behave appropriately when dealing with people.
@yukimori I don't think he should be with customers either, but what if he has a wife and four little kids? He may need that money!
lol the poor boy was hungry and he was smelling that chicken all day.
@happy2beme I felt bad he was hungry, but I can't plan his meals as I have a hard enough time planning my own meals and sometimes forget to eat! I realize the days when I pass out!
@Marty1 you need to take better care of yourself. It is important to make sure you are eating properly .
@Happy2BeMe I know I need to eat better, But at least I am eating! I am making a New Year's resolution to cook meals. My sister gives me a pile of food and freezes it for me and then I put them in the extra freezer and defrost them!
No you didn't do anything wrong...He was overreacting what did he want you to do? Have you share the chicken?!
@infatuatedbby I doubt I would share even though I do have a lot left over!!! What did he want us to do go over to the snack bar and share a chicken!
@akalinus (20141)
That is the impression I got. But, how do you tear a chicken apart when standing in line at the register?
@Marty1 Haha it would be so weird He can share among his co workers. Chip in and spilt the cost
@akalinus (20141)
First off, you are a customer. He is an employee. He has no right to scream at you or criticize you for something that was not your fault.
@akalinus That is what I sort of thought, but I hate making others mad.That was why I was talking to him friendly so that he would forget about it; I might as well have never opened my mouth as I never got an answer!
@akalinus I hate to cause trouble.
@akalinus (20141)
@Marty1 It is not your fault that the guy did not get enough to eat at lunch or that he can't plan how to use a whole chicken. Like eat some for lunch and make a chicken salad or sandwich for lunch the next day. You have a right to buy the chicken, too.
@PatZAnthony (12871)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
People everywhere can react oddly to situations we have no control over it seems. It was not you, it was him.
@patzanthony I had thought so, but wasn't sure
@CoolPeace (1587)
• Miami, Florida
The cashier has the problem and appears to be strange.
@coolpeace Yes, he was kind of strange!
You didn't do anything wrong. Workers like this are why some places get bad names. No matter how bad of a day you are having you shouldn't take it out on the customer and the customer shouldn't take their angry out on the worker. It is not their fault you are having a crappy day and you shouldn't make their day crappy because your day is bad. We all just need to learn how to be respectful of others and deal with our angry in a way that doesn't hurt others.
@caseyross9966 I agree with you!
@Raine38 (9193)
Was he being seriously mad? I hope he is just kidding. I do not think you are in any fault at all.
@raine38 He was disgusted looking and genuinely mad. I have had others tell me the chicken (I do buy a lot of them) smells good but they never became mad this man should have known to eat a better lunch. I think he should know how much he needs to eat.
Be assured that you did not do anything wrong. He is the one who is wrong here.
You don't have to be worried that you did something wrong that made him angry . He is actually the one that is rude . Customer is always right and he has no right to be angry at a customer , but should always just be respectful of them all . You can report him to the management .
That is absolutely not your fault. I hope he gets some training.
Wacko hahaha
@ms1864 (6975)
• Bangalore, India
lol...don't worry about it...he was just having a bad day and he took it out on you.
The man sounds very strange that he got mad over you buying a whole chicken.
@zebra2222 (5171)
That is ridiculous. That cashier should not have a job at Wal-Mart.