The Grand Master is Grand

I wrote about the failed Master - he is good as gone to us. But now we have a new master in tae kwon do. . . a Grand Master (higher status than our previous Master) and he has indeed turned our failing studio around. Honestly we were all skeptical of him. He was in the same group of Masters as our old one . . . were they friends and was he going to be a snake too? He wasn't exactly the warmest person at first either. Some families left not willing to continue. The rest of us stayed on board to see what happens. As I mentioned before, our family was in the position to leave soon as our contract was up, so we didn't fret too much. We just wanted our kids and us to be done with this tae kwon do chapter in our life. But immediately, this man took action to improve the studio. He had the runned down studio painted, installed new mats and mirrors, removed the ugly benches to be replaced with new chairs and even built a tiny office where we didn't think it was possible. He repaired all the things the old Master didn't bother (couldn't afford) to fix - including the air conditioning, exposed ceiling, and the front door which had been a hazard for months. Our studio actually looked bigger and brighter . . . much more professional looking than ever before ! Better yet, as soon as he and his crew took over the classes, it sparked a new interest in tae kwon do for ALL the students. It was fun and motivating - they were enjoying tae kwon do. My daughter actually smiled coming out of class. My little son who had quit a few months back would observe through the window and wanted to join in. So the Grand Master called the parents into his office one by one. He told me he was in contact with our old Master (who fled to Korea to claim his wife back) - the divorce process had started. The Grand Master was only here to help him initially during his leave, but the old Master had nothing to repay him with (apparently it took $20,000 to make the needed improvements plus he paid the last month's rent for him). Thinking back, the intent must've been to be a part of the Grand Master's successful franchise, but now he had nothing to show for it. Even though the Grand Master had no intent to take over this studio, it now fell into his hands. Still we were all a bit unsure of things. I frankly told the Grand Master what had been going on. And he was frank about how shocked he was about our studio - he was surprised any of us hung on for so long. He said that desperate people will do desperate things . . . in the end our old Master was messed up and he screwed up. Then he said his business was a promise. No matter how things were promised, he said his business was to fulfill a promise to a customer. We could already see he is open, honest, and communicative with the parents. His three, now four franchised studios are all run by his former students who are now Masters themselves . . . his young crew is composed of such kind instructors and they have been a hit with the kids. There's SO much more - but let's just say it's been nothing but with this Grand Master. Thank you for letting me unload a couple long posts about it all. Did you ever feel failure and then something wonderful came along? (Like how many of us ended up on this site - oh what timing!).
Sort of, I was cheated badly when I went out of the country for business. If I had not been cheated, I would not have gone back to teaching. I would not have written my book on becoming the ideal college scholarship and grant applicant, and all the good and money from this book would not have been created.
It's true that things happen for a reason. Sometimes we have to cross some super rocky roads in order to see and get to the smooth ones. I'm sure it was difficult having to go through that experience, but in the end you came out a winner .
@much2say Oddly, whenever I applied for a teaching position in a nice area, something came up to keep it from happening, and I ended up teaching in tough areas where kids needed me far more. Sigh. So now, the pay off is that I'll hold my conferences in a lovely beach community.
@ElizabethWallace Ah, but your gifts must've helped those in need at the time - though it was hard on you. The pay off is indeed a lovely pay off!!
• Otis Orchards, Washington
It's strange how one person can make a success out of a business and someone else is a total flop. That usually happens when the person doesn't put money back into the business to keep it running.
It's strange, but it makes sense. The old Master was good at taekwondo, but he taught on a control trip (which didn't make him a good instructor afterall) and let the business run itself which hurt him in the end. He was too cheap to put money back into the business, so that completely back fired on him. This Grand Master on the otherhand . . . he has a business degree which only helps - he's keen on marketing. He has his own franchise of studios which is getting rave reviews - so he's gotta be doing something right. His network of Masters are all former students who teach at his studios - you can tell they are loyal to him and just love their job. He has a business plan and shares it with all of us - he believes in a transparent business. And he happens to be a nice guy who has 2 young kids of his own, so he understands how it goes as a parent.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say Yes, knowing what you're doing is always a big help.
@RichardMeister Yep, the new Grand Master seems to know just what he's doing - and we all appreciate it!
I feel as though I've lived through all of this with you. I'm so happy change has come to you all, finally! Do you think your son has any interest in returning?
You've been here for me through this entire ordeal! Yes, my son is now back as of last week and is quite happy. He is the tiniest guy there at 6 years old - the other Black Belt students are all 11-17 plus one man who is 50! The Grand Master is giving him a new uniform and Black Belt free of charge (we have to wait on the Black Belt as it has my son's name and new studio name on it). He said let's concentrate on making him happy again (the old Master made my son miserable) . We are thrilled to have this re-opportunity!
@much2say That gave me goosebumps! I'm so thrilled for your son. He is the same age as my grandson. . This sounds awesome for you all!!!!!
@DianneN Thank you! We are super excited that it didn't end negatively - we are inspired again and doing it right this time.
@much2say It seems that many parents still don’t trust the Grand Master and are waiting and seeing.If you ask me, only the time will tell if he is different from the old one.Even though He has done a lot of work now,he still has a long way to go to lay the parents’ doubt at rest.
Exactly. The old Master has been gone since beginning of August - so now it has been 3 months. The new Grand Master has been very productive in changing the studio around from day 1. Thus far he has proved himself to be wonderful, but yes, it will take some time to trust him fully.
@much2say The new Grand Master is intent on making a good impression so that the studio grows on the parents.Anyway it is a good thing!
@changjiangzhibin89 Yes, I hope it is a win/win situation for everyone!
@MarymargII (10396)
• Toronto, Ontario
so relieved it is working out for everyone- it could have been a double mishap- he sounds legit anyway!
Oh yes - you can see why everyone would be skeptical about a lot of things after what the ol' Master pulled. But this new guy seems to know what he's doing
@MarymargII (10396)
• Toronto, Ontario
@much2say Well, looks like you can just relax and enjoy it now- which is great![em]lol
I missed all the previous posts about this but am happy to see it's been resolved with all those thumbs up. Glad the kids are all excited now about their Tai Kwon Do and new and improved studio.
Oh - no worries! The other post was how bad our previous Master had gotten - everyone was ready to call it quits. But this guy sure improved things . . . we're back into again!
i'm glad that he's taken the time to visit with all the parents one'n one. makes't more personable that way - somethin' that also seems to've been lackin'. that's wonderful news that he's also tended to the cosmetic aspect 'f the place. sounds like a win-win fer students/instructors'n the parents. big hugs!!
Personable - yes - that's another great thing about him. He is communicative with all of us - and he even says in a business you have to be. And he even said he wants to make it a win-win situation for everyone because that's what makes a successful business. So we're real hopeful here!
It's wonderful when what seems to be a bad situation ends on a good note
We were fortunate on this one - we're very grateful this man turned things around for the better.
@mesbakh (1622)
once a master always a master. mater is never ever makes failure. a mater face a mistake and fix it
True. But there are good masters and bad ones. Our old Master made huge mistakes and did not fix them - in fact he went against everything he taught - so he is one of the bad ones.
@Jackalyn (6684)
• Oxford, England
Ot is always better when you have someone focused on the good of an organisation and not distracted at the top.
Such good news you shared with us. A noble man is the Grand Master. My first job as a teacher was teaching first grade. I did well teaching first grade, but knew that teaching little ones was not for me. I jumped at the chance to teach 8th graders!!! Loved it!
@bunnybon7 (37156)
• Holiday, Florida
what great news for your kids. so glad