How Do You Decorate?

Boise, Idaho
Do you buy new decorations each year to add to your collection? Do you get pine boughs from the tree lot? Do you enjoy decorating your home each year? Or does it get old after awhile? Do you enjoy at least checking out the new decorations each year at the mall? I used to love to go to the mall and see the way they had it decorated. So pretty! Are there certain traditions you have each year? Colored lights out front? A wreath on the door? One of my favorite traditions when I was young was laying near the tree and watching the Nutcracker on TV. The lights on the tree bedazzled and made me happy. My grandmother made us unwrap things carefully and she kept the paper. That didn't go over well and lasted only a few years. She also took the tinsel off of the tree and reused it. I feel guilty if I get rid of mine.
My grandmother had the same Christmas rules as your grandmother. I remember saving the tinsel from the tree when I was a kid. This year, outdoor decorating is of the simple kind. Tired of lugging out lighted reindeer and all those white lights.
It is a hassle isn't it?
@celticeagle Yes, and my son and husband just watched me do it all for decades. Our son said, "Why do we need lights out there anyway?"
@Corbin5 ......Too bad they don't just appear, huh?
@CoolPeace (1587)
• Miami, Florida
I use both new and used decorations.
I used to as well. Had some my grams had given me. Lovely things.
@CoolPeace (1587)
• Miami, Florida
@celticeagle. I also think having a fake christmas tree is good to have because you can reuse it.
@CoolPeace .....If it is a realistic looking one and not fake looking.
• Preston, England
my mum used the same decorations for decades - some of hers are older than me
I think the ones my gram gave me probably were older than me as well. Painted double glass.
I use the same decorations. Sometimes after the season I'll buy new ones so I can use for the next year though.
We always did too. Can't believe people just throw it all out. Guess it is easier to clean up after.
@celticeagle That is horrible they toss it out. Maybe lazy to clean up or no storage?
@infatuatedbby .....I am going with lazy.
I have used the same tree decorations for nearly thirty years. I love the colored twinkling lights.
We have the same decorations we have had for about twenty five years.
@LoriAMoore (4684)
We're old fuddy duddies now and don't decorate.
We don't either. Kids are grown and all.
@sallypup (28552)
• Moses Lake, Washington
No tinsel here due to cats living with us. (When I was a kid we almost lost a cat cause he ate tinsel.) I'm not as enthusiastic about outdoor decorations now that we do not live in town. One year I did go to a tree lot and took home some boughs. I hung them over a mirror and our big glass cased clock then hung little straw ornaments from the boughs. The straw ornaments have glitter on them. Quite festive.
That does sound pretty.
@marsha32 (6689)
I want to enjoy decorating but time and money keep stopping me from it.
That's a shame.
I never buy tinsel it is dangerous if you have dogs or cats and they get a hold of it.
We always had cats and dogs when I was young. We had tinsel every year with no problems.
I gotta text my x and see if he will ship me my christmas things, they were in a box I missed when I packed to move
I hope he will.
@ms1864 (6975)
• Bangalore, India
i do use a lot of my old decorations every year because i love them....but i also check the market for anything new. I have handmade many decorations that i hang on the wall and light on the tree are usually one colour..this year i am undecided.
We add to what we have every year or so. Used to anyway. Still time to decide what to do for this year.
• Rochester, New York
The only tradition we have now is going to get a Christmas tree on Thanksgiving after we eat. We decorate the tree and start putting gifts under it. The cats tend to lay under the tree and snooze for a while. We have tubs full of decorations. I always buy a new ornament for my nieces each year.
We use to buy a new decoration every year but I don't do that anymore.
I enjoy the beauty of blue lights. I usually decorate in blue lights outside. The tree has also been decorated in blue lights with a few white lights to give it depth. The ornaments are not one color scheme, although, yes, I lean toward blues. I do have purples as well. And of course, butterflies! My mother saved tinsel from year to year. She kept it in a shoebox. This practice I did as well. Now I don't put tinsel on the tree because my cats try to eat it. One year I did forbid the kids to unwrap the gifts in a hurried manner. I made them take their time when opening, not tearing into them. It took me a long time to wrap the gifts and they were beautifully done. They laughed, grumped for a little while, but complied. I made them read aloud whom the gift was from. That way they could tell me later on where the gift came from.