When you go to an auto repair

Do not fail to mention anything that might put the mechanic in danger while servicing your vehicle. such as brakes not working properly or not working at all or things randomly bursting into flames. If you do, the repair shop can sue you and they will win. We have had two incidents with brakes this year. One almost killed my brother. I wonder if people don't mention these things intentionally thinking they will be the ones to benefit from it. Well, it don't quite work that way.
It is best to let the shop know you are experiencing problems.. but if the car bursts into flames , etc in the hands of the shop - how would one know?!
I suppose they wouldn't if the shop burnt down. Although in my opinion a good auto shop ought to be built to withstand things like that considering the chemicals and things they're working with.
@cupkitties I would think the auto shop would be experienced..
@infatuatedbby They should be if they don't want to be shut down. It's illegal to run an auto repair business here with non certified employees. Also I think the way it works these days is different compared to years ago. Used to be the same guy that could fix your windows, could also fix your transmission, and many other things. But now everything is more specialized so that isn't always the case anymore.
You mean your brother had his car repair but then after getting it the brake wasn't working well that it almost killed him in an accident ?
My brother works on vehicles. He's the reason I brought the subject up. I never knew a customer could be sued over that. Always thought it was the other way around. Oh he didn't sue if anybody is wondering. He and the customer talked things over peacefully.
@cupkitties Of course your brother can sue the cusomer since he wasn't told by the customer of ts condition .
@hereandthere (32789)
i guess they were expecting/assuming the mechanics already have ideas about the possible causes of the problem, so to protect themselves, it seems the mechanics would have to "grill" everyone to make sure they are aware of every little thing about the vehicle, no nasty (or fatal) surprises.
You don't have to be a mechanic to know that some areas of the car have no connection with others. If they do, you still can't assume. It's like when people bring in their cars and go "Every time when I turns on me left turn signal, it sez "CHUGA-CHUGA-CHUGA". What do ya think it could be?", expecting the mechanic to magically diagnose their car issues from the noises it makes. Sometimes they can, but not always .
@cupkitties it would help if all customers supplied more info, even those that sound far off, but i guess the mechanics would have to pry all these little details out of them for their own safety
• Trinidad And Tobago
Isn't this wrong sided? Shouldn't the mechanic be the one doing the checking and warning you that something might be harmful to you? My mechanic is so reliable. Why would your car randomly burst into flame??
If while fixing something, they run into a problem that could turn into a potential danger then yes, they should tell you. But there's no way that you can drive a car every day and not know something is wrong with the brake. The mechanic can and should only fix what they are told to other wise they are ripping off the customer. I'm not sure if a vehicle could or how it would randomly burst into flame. I think I've only seen that in movies. Just my way of joking.
• Preston, England
I think people just assume the mechanics will figure out the problems all by themselves but warning them what to expect saves time, money and as you show, it can save lives too