Mel Blanc had over 400 voices

Photo is mine
Eugene, Oregon
I heard a great story yesterday about the greatest voice actor ever, Mel Blanc. He was the voice of so many great cartoon characters that I grew up with. He voiced Porky Pig, Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, Wile E. Coyote, Yosemite Sam, Barney Rubble and most famously, my favorite character, Bugs Bunny (many others as well). Mel would do as many as 18 recordings in week at times. The story I heard was about a head on collision where he was driving an Aston-Martin and was hit head on by one of those big Oldsmobile 98s. He lay in a coma for 14 days, unresponsive to the voices of his wife and son. A doctor who stopped in to see him tried asking "Bugs Bunny, how are you today?" Mel responded the the voice of Bugs, "Myeeeh, what's up doc?" Mel recovered and was active as a voice for many more years. He has over 1000 screen credits for his work. Did you have a favorite cartoon character growing up?
I always like Marvin the Martian. I wonder if Mel did that one. I also wonder what they would do without him back then?
• Eugene, Oregon
An actor named Damon Jones and some others voiced Marvin. Mel was in huge demand for sure.
@JamesHxstatic .....I see. I sure enjoyed the Martian cartoons. Mel Brooks was great. He used to be interviewed on different talk shows and do all manner of voices. Fun to watch him. I bet he kept his family entertained too.
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Oh I loved him too!
• Denver, Colorado
Well, Bugs Bunny of course. The first time I saw Yes, they showed Bugs cartoons as their opening act.
• Eugene, Oregon
How unusual that is!
he t'was 'ndeed a master 'f voices :) a fave? hmmm, i was kinda fond'f the chipmunks, lol.
• Eugene, Oregon
They were fun. It looks as if they used three different voices for Alvin and the boys, not Mel.
@JamesHxstatic i always adored 'em, yet didn't pay much mind to what the heck they'd be sayin'. i found a vhs tape 'f 'em, 'long with a player 't the pawn shop when my daughter t'was 'bout 3. 'fter 'bout the 5th time she'd watched 't, i t'was'n fer a shock. she started callin' most e'erythin' 'stupid'! a word i ne'er used. when i asked where she'd heard such, she pointed to the tape. sure 'nough, i'd put my faith'n mr. disney 'n there t'was one'f those lil chipmunks, callin' the other 'stupid' multiple times. yepperz, i t'was horrified, though i find such a fond memory now :)
• Eugene, Oregon
@crazyhorseladycx Kids learn from so many sources.
He is really a voice actor of genius! My favorite cartoon character was Monkey King when I was a kid.
• Eugene, Oregon
I had to look that one up and I see that Monkey King is still going strong with movies. He was born from a heavenly stone if that is the same one.
@JamesHxstatic It surprises me that you know well about Monkey King also known as Journey to the West.
• Eugene, Oregon
@changjiangzhibin89 I will admit to doing a bit of research after you mentioned that character. I 'm a curious guy.
What a great story. I never heard that one before. Porky Pig was always a favorite of mine.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, the Porky Pig voice was great and hard I would think.
@JamesHxstatic yes I would think so. What a talent to have so many different voices.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Happy2BeMe Yes! I have an old friend from the Army who can talk like Donald Duck and I have always envied that.
@katsmeow1213 (29044)
I wonder how many different voices Robin Williams had. He was also extremely talented.
• Eugene, Oregon
He really was, not sure if he did voice overs or not.
@JamesHxstatic A few, yes. He was the Genie in Aladdin, and he was in a Disney movie called Robots.
My favorite characters Duffy Duck and Donald Duck of course.
• Eugene, Oregon
Both among the greats!
@JamesHxstatic They are both funny.
Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd made me laugh. Classic
• Eugene, Oregon
Oh for sure! He was great!
How could I not love Bugs Bunny.......but I loved Scooby Doo too
• Eugene, Oregon
Great characters!
@JESSY3236 (7532)
wow that's a cool story. I loved all the looney tune characters. I didn't really have a favorite.
• Eugene, Oregon
Thinking of them this morning makes me smile.
That's quite interesting about Mel Blanc. I knew he was the voice of Bugs but didn't realize how many other voices he did
• Eugene, Oregon
i knew he did others but not 400!
He really was talented wasn't he? That is a lot of voices to remember.
• Eugene, Oregon
And they all had to be so distinct too.
Sylvester the Cat is my favorite. I loved Sylvester's son too!!!
• Eugene, Oregon
I see that Mel Blanc and a number of others voiced Sylvester. Great cartoon.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
That's an interesting story. When I was growing up most of the cartoons aired on Saturday morning. I was raised in a Seventh-day Adventist home so the tv and radio were shut off at sunset on Friday night and wasn't turned back on until sunset on Saturday. So I never got to watch Saturday morning cartoons. I was able to see some cartoons that were on in the evening during the week like Yogi Bear. Of course I saw the others on rare occasions when they aired other than on Saturdays.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yogi Bear was a good one too.
Bugs, of course. Blanc also did voices on Jack Benny's radio show.
• Eugene, Oregon
That's right. I had forgotten that. He was a busy guy.
@suziecat7 (3392)
• Asheville, North Carolina
My favorite cartoon character was and is Foghorn Leghorn. Not sure if he was one of Mel's. The man was incredibly talented and obviously had a sense of humor too.
• Eugene, Oregon
Mel did Foghorn too. I liked that one a lot.
I remember him. He is a voice from the past. No, I really do not have anyone I can think of right now.
He was the greatest voice actor. I loved all the different voices he did. Though not to his credit, my favorite cartoon character is Scooby-Doo.
• Bournemouth, England
As a very small child I can just about remember Quick Draw McGraw and then Yogi Bear. Then I enjoyed Top Cat (titled Boss Cat over here in the UK), the Flintstones and Tom and Jerry (who were huge here). When Scooby Do, Where Are You? started, we reserved English kids were embarrassed to say the name of the programme! We also got the Banana Splits show and although they weren't cartoon characters themselves, their show featured The Arabian Knights, Three Musketeers and sometimes the educational Micro Ventures. The Pink Panther was also great. And all these were before I was even eleven!
@cindiowens (4564)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
All of the Loony Tunes were my faves. He was great.