Where are you on the global fat scale? (BMI)

Italy
Some of you already know what the Body Mass Index is. It is a weight-for-height index which tells you how healthy you are. It isn't very accurate but whatever. I'm going to share a nice calculator with you: it won't just say how healthy your BMI is, but it will also tell you what country you should be in based on that (taking account of your age and gender too). I'm supposed to be from Germany. BMI of 23, higher than 79% of the Italian population in my age range and gender. 23 is still healthy after all, but I can still afford to lose some more weight. Would you mind sharing your results?
For a better experience on your device, try our mobile site. Accessibility links BBC iD BBC iD BBC navigation Search term: Health 12 July 2012 Last updated at 17:56 Share this page Age Gender MaleFemale Height Select: Metres | Feet Weight Select: Kilograms
I don't know. But there sure have tons of fat people in my country, I'm probably one of them. In fact I just gain weight this month, horrible knowing I've lost so many pounds over the last ten months.
Fat people are everywhere, but I would still be fatter than the 67% of women my age there in the Philippines. I'm pretty sure there are girls who are way fatter than me although your country sounds slim overall. It is okay to let yourself go sometimes, you didn't gain all the weight you lost. It is always good to have breaks so your body gets used to your new healthy weight.
@Letranknight2015 it is so hard to keep losing weight. I hope you can stop gaining it!! Take care.
@Nihil90 (380)
• Indore, India
I have a BMI of 21. I am most likely to be someone from Laos. Mine is 58% higher than males in my country in the age range 15-29. I guess I'm on the thinner side.
With the arithmetic average of 21.75 (18.5 - 25) you're leaning towards the thinner side, right. And that's normal and very healthy for your age, I believe.
@Nihil90 (380)
• Indore, India
@sabtraversa Yeah but my mom doesn't think so
Does she think you're too thin?
@Orson_Kart (3847)
My BMI is 25 and I am like someone from Swaziland. I am actually from the UK, but I do have the body of a racing snake.
That's great! Was your BMI higher or lower than average?
@sabtraversa Lower, we are a nation of fatties.
@Orson_Kart I thought so (no offence meant).
@mythociate (13628)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
My BMI is 24, most like someone from Morocco
Cool, that's healthy. We share about the same BMI, yay.
@mythociate (13628)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
@sabtraversa but I'm about 14 years older than you; so is that bad for you, good for me, or about the same for both
@mythociate You're older than me but actually not that old. 14 years older people are siblings to me, so I'd say it's good for both of us.
@pumpkinjam (5557)
My BMI is 23. According to this calculator, that's lower than 80% of females in my age range in my country, lower than 58% around the world, and I should be from China! A BMI of 23 is within healthy range. Good job really, because I've already lost 6 stone and have no intention of losing any more or putting any back on! My BMI was 37 before.
Congratulations!!! Yes, I bet you look great at 23. My highest must have been 30, from 37 to 23 is surely a huge difference.
@sabtraversa Thank you. Yes, I think I look pretty good :D Could still do with toning up some flabby bits, though! It is, literally, a very big difference. I'd actually given up trying to lose weight when I accidentally stumbled on something that worked.
@hereandthere (20729)
obesity index 23 bmi, national below average, global below average, most likely from somalia. it's strange to see "below average" results because although i am from the philippines, i come from a tall family.
Your BMI is below average (although healthy), not your height. By your result I guess you're not in my age range, people tend to gain weight while getting older but you simply managed to keep yourself fit so you appear to be below average. Well, that was my guess.
@sabtraversa yes, i'm much older than you. i was thin all my life, but now my metabolism seem to have stopped and the pounds started. people used to say, you're so tall. now they say, you're so big.
I am most like someone from Fiji. I am above 65% of women my age in Canada
It sounds good. Do you think the country BMI is accurate? I mean, do you find that the 65% of women in your place are smaller than you? Once I took that test I was obsessively looking at other girls and check if this app was right. Well, it was kind of right. There's a good amount of extremes too.
@sabtraversa it is pretty close. There are plenty of people heavier than I am, but plenty slimmer. I do need to lose weight.
@skysnap (17586)
I am definitely overweight thesse days.
Overweight doesn't sound too bad, I've been overweight most of my life (BMI of 29-30). But it is better to be below 25 anyway.
My BMI is 22 and I'm most like someone from India. How cool is that?
Pretty awesome!
@amandajay (17775)
• Sri Lanka
I will have to check it
@hoong143 (1421)
I think it is good to monitor our weight or our body.