Book Review: The skeleton in the closet by M.C. Beaton

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Fellworth Dolphin (or Fell as he automatically calls himself as he hates the name Fellworth) had two miserly parents in this book called "The Skeleton in the closet." by M.C. Beaton. These parents would not spend a penny. Then in this book his mother dies and much to his surprise he has been left a huge sum of money. He had no idea his dad was saving it in a high-interest account for many years. Then he finds a box in his mom's room that is locked, and he looked and easily found the key, and it is filled with money nobody knows exists. He suddenly becomes a big spender. So that his aunt doesn't move in with him, he says he is engaged to a girl, Maggie Bartlett, that he worked with at a restaurant until he quit his job with all that money and he asked her to move in with him, but they were not really engaged. Fell gets the idea that his father stole that money from a train robbery he was brought in to the police for questioning many years ago. SO Fell and Maggie set out to find out how they got that money. While pretending to be Fell's fiance Maggie falls in love with him. He has been paying for her, and she has been helping him, but it seems he just thinks Maggie is a nice girl. He is in love with Melissa, a woman who pretended to be interested in him so he would invest in her business. It made Maggie so jealous. Now my letters. If you read the book, you will find out where the money comes from and whether Fell is really in love with Maggie as she is with him, This may be a book by M.C. Beaton, but it is not her usual Agatha Raisin or Hamish Macbeth characters. These were characters I never met. I recommend this book to all who love a good mystery. Picture source Pixabay Book The skeleton in the closet by M.C. Beaton
This sounds like just the kind of book I would love to read!
@shaggin Hope you get a chance to read it as it was one of the best non-series mystery books I have read in a long time!
@Marty1 I am reading a book now called "The Narcissist's Daughter" by Craig Holden. I'm not enjoying it much so good thing its short. I thought the title was appropriate for my life.
@shaggin I am sorry it is not that good. Are you going to finish it? I am starting a new book tonight, just have to find out which one as I finished one I was reading this morning! I am sorry to see the book I read yesterday and today over. Hope this next book is as great! I hope you get a next great book to read!
@JESSY3236 (4901)
I love mysteries. I never heard of this author. I put her on my Overdrive list.
@jessy3236 You won't be sorry! How do you get it on your overdrive list? I have Overdrive on my Kindle and use it for all the library books i borrow, but I never heard of putting a book on your list from that app? Is there a secret I don't know? This author also writes a series about a female detective Agatha Raisin that I adore. She also writes Hamish MacBeth I liked that book, but I have only read one with him as the main character. But there is a series of them!
@JESSY3236 (4901)
@Marty1 Overdrive has a thing called Wish List. I have over 100 books on the list. I hope to trim down the list soon. I use the list as a wanting to read list.
@JESSY3236 Do you use the wish to read list for books from your local library? Both my local libraries (I got a card from the county next to mine because it has a bigger selection, and I still use my local library right around me) but I put the books I want to read on the actual site under wish list when one read about the book. I will have to look into the overdrive wish list. Thank you for telling me about it!
Thank your for this very interesting review. This is the kind of books that I like and I like this plot.
@ladyduck This author grows on you, and I like each book I read of hers better than the last! You will really like this book!
@Marty1 I am sure that I am going to like the book and I will be glad to discover this author.
@LadyDuck She is a great author I also recommend her book Busy Body as I am reading that right now and hope to finish it today so I can walk to the library on Saturday for my half hour daily walk! and it is in the season as it starts out in the Christmas season but goes into the spring!
This sounds like a dandy mystery. I like the plot.
@johnroberts I recommend it highly. It does have a good plot!
@Marty1 The only MC Beaton I have read is Hamish Macbeth.
@JohnRoberts He is great, but my favorite is Agatha Raisin as the detective I am reading a Christmas Agatha Raisin by Beaton I just started it today, and it is great!
@silvermist (15811)
@Marty1I have read some of the books by M.C.Beaton. Most of them were about Agatha Raisin.Tbis book seems interesting.I was absent from mylot most of the days of November.
@silvermist I was wondering about whey you weren't here. Hope you will be here all of the months in the future! This book I don't think the characters are any part of a series and if they are I never saw another book with them in it. It was a very interesting book. It was well worth the time.I was a short easy to read book!
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
This sounds like a fun read. Thanks for the review.
@patzanthony Yes, it was a fun read. If you like mysteries, you will be sure to like it!