Favorite "Girl's Name" Songs #5 - "Marian"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Halfway there. #5 in my Favorite "Girl's Name" Songs belongs to The Sisters of Mercy and their song "Marian." Led by vocalist Andrew Eldritch, the group's only constant, The Sisters of Mercy formed in Leeds, England, in 1977, wanting to hear themselves on the radio. Although Eldritch is fervent that they are not a goth band, the Sisters are highly influential within the goth community, with many goth groups sounding much like them. From their 1985 debut First and Last and Always, "Marian" finds the band at their darkest. Recorded by the Sisters' classic lineup of Eldritch, guitarist's Wayne Hussey and Gary Marx, and bassist Craig Adams (the band has always used a drum machine called Doktor Avalanche, ) "Marian" was never released as a single, however, the song is an integral part of the album. Listen for Eldritch's deep vocals and Craig Adams' dark, driving bass line. It's a great goth song from a band that has no interest in the genre.
first and last and always; In a sea of faces, in a sea of doubt In this cruel place your voice above the maelstrom In the wake of this ship of fools I'm fall...
@crossbones27 (18555)
• Redlands, California
Sorry buddy had to wait until my song was over. Was playing Marley for the cat Marley. She or he I think it is a he, hence the name Marley is sleeping now. lol. This sounds pretty goth to me and it does make me sleepy in a good way. The lyrics are pretty unique.
Can't go wrong with some Marley.
This song made me ponder how dark so much of the new wave 80s were. Even upbeat synthpop can be heard as dark if you think about it. Grunge was obvious but a Sisters of Mercy more subtle.
There was a lot of dark grunge out there, using Alice in Chains "Would?", my favorite grunge tune, as an example.
@teamfreak16 Grunge is synonymous with dark in a very obvious way. A Depeche Mode song can be danceable and upbeat yet with dark somber lyrics.
@JohnRoberts - I prefer the darker Depeche Mode, for sure.
• Eugene, Oregon
Sisters of Mercy was the name of an early Leonard Cohen song too.
I think that's where they took the name from rather than the "cut the crap" nuns.
• Eugene, Oregon
@teamfreak16 No doubt.
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
I think they should should just give in and accept that Goths love 'em!
He's much too arrogant for that!