~The Drama~

Jacksonville, Florida
So, I told you I would fill you in on what happened here last night... My husband and I were in our room laying down watching TV. The 3 older kids were playing in the playroom and Julian was resting in our room. The two rooms are side by side. Our oldest son Jackson comes into our room crying his eyes out. He said Aunt Mary told them they were being too loud so now they have to go to bed! For one it was 8:30pm, for two they are NOT her kids, for three our children don't have a certain bedtime-they usually fall asleep around 10:30ish. The other thing is the playroom is right next to our room-if they were being too loud we would have heard them and told them to quiet down. They were coloring and getting along for once which was really nice until she stepped in!! My husband said enough is enough! He was so ticked off! He went out there and told her if our children are being too loud you come tell us. If we want them to go to bed we will let them know. You don't need to tell them what to do and you don't need to make them cry either! So our son went back into the living room and asked Aunt Mary if she wanted a certain movie on to watch. She said no from now on y'all do whatever you want I don't care. I'm going to keep my mouth shut from now on... She acted like a 2 year old about the whole thing!! My husband said she's going to have to get out very soon because this is not working...
@topffer (34159)
• France
There is a big difference between the beautiful and peaceful photo that you chose for this discussion and the content. I hope that things will calm down on both sides, I dislike family disputes.
@topffer I know, I really liked the peacefulness in this picture and I am longing for that peace in my life right now! I hope things improve as well, thank you.
hope before kicking her out you all can sit down and talk about it. I was reading how this woman took care of your husband in trying times. I would hope he keeps that in mind. You never know when you need to be helped. I know it's hard living with other adults as well. maybe helping her find a shared room where she has privacy and can have a little left over would be great. I know she was wrong but she might not have meant it like it was taken. I also know no one wants to see another parent their kids. along with the fact that many can't see at all times what their kids are doing when not in the same room with them. Good. luck finding her a new home.
@yukimori (9047)
You know what it's like living with a toxic person. All those sit-downs with Kay never did any good, did they? This woman has adult children of her own and none of them were willing to take her in when the son kicked her out. I'd say that's a pretty good indication that the behaviors she's exhibiting are pretty deeply ingrained. She's not going to change just because someone tells her it's unacceptable, because she feels she's completely in the right.
@sharon6345 We took her in to begin with because all she did for my husband. We have thought about that many times...but that doesn't give her the right to treat our kids badly in our home especially. We have talked with her and she denies everything-calling our kids liars. As I said we heard them playing but they weren't being too loud or anything, we were in the next room. Whenever we talk to her about things she acts like she has no idea why the kids would be upset. This was not the first time she has done something like this.
@yukimori The sit downs have not worked with her either-she denies everything acting like our kids are lying. The time I heard for myself what she said she told me she was just joking! She wasn't even close to joking and I knew it by the tone in her voice and the look on her face. Your right, she's not going to change. She just told me today she's going to try to leave as soon as she can so she's not a "burden" to us anymore. Once again making it out like we are the bad guys-not her.
@UncleJoe (9955)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Awe! Ya'll missed the perfect opportunity to say, "Look here, Aunt Mary! Either you or the kids have to go!"
@UncleJoe I wish you were here because I know you would have said it and that would have been SO funny!
That is ridiculous. You have all been more then patient with her since she came to live there. I know you wanted to help her out when she had no place to go but she should be treating all of you with respect and be appreciative of what you have done for her. I am sorry she continues to be a problem.
@Happy2beme Yeah, we have tried very hard to be patient and deal with everything but she has pushed too far. It doesn't feel like she's grateful at all. Thanks, I hope she leaves soon so my kids can be happy again.
@yukimori (9047)
@LovingMyBabies You and your husband need to actually kick her out. I know it's tough when you offered her a place to stay, but you had no idea she was going to make your poor kids miserable in their own home. They don't deserve that. Why prolong their misery and unhappiness just so you don't feel awkward having asked a grown adult to be responsible for herself?
@LovingMyBabies I hope she does too. It is hard on all of you living that way.
@gudheart (12752)
It can be hard when Aunt's want to have a say about things and get in the way.
@gudheart Yeah it is a difficult situation.
so unfortunate that she has to behave like that.
@paigea I know, it's really getting hard to deal with.
@dodo19 (32873)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I can understand why you are upset. It didn't seem right for her to tell your kids what to do. You guys were nice enough to give her a place to stay, and it does seem like she's not making the situation easy for anyone. Hopefully, you can figure something out.
@dodo19 Yeah and it's going on quite a bit. She is acting like we live in her home, like she wants control of everything here.
@LovingMyBabies The sad fact is that although she says she is trying to get out of there, it likely is all talk. You may have to actually do the "leg work" of pointing her to the proper locations. That could include the DCF or Department on Aging websites. She may not believe it but she would be happier in her own place, with visits from you guys, not cutting her off completely.
@dodo19 (32873)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@GardenGerty That may be something to look into and something to think about.
I thought she was only visiting. It sounds like it will be best for all concerned for her to go.
@just4him Nope, she was supposed to stay here until she moves with her daughter in Louisiana. I think it's going to be a while though.
@LovingMyBabies Well I hope your husband's talk with her last night will make her realize you and your husband are in charge of your children, not her.
• Pamplona, Spain
Tops is right that is such a peaceful image it has me feeling good too right now as its not been e very good day at all. Did I read right that you are having another Baby but I could not find your post about it if its yours. Hope things will calm down and the situation will resolve itself too.
@lovinangelsinstead21 Yes we are having another baby. Josiah will be our 5th child. =)
• Pamplona, Spain
@LovingMyBabies Oh that´s lovely Jen congratulations to you both wishing you all the best and the little boy of course.
I was hoping it would work for her sake and yours since she needed a place to stay. Is there another place for her to go to.
@jstory07 I was hoping so too. There is no where else except her staying with her daughter in Louisiana but that's going to take her a while to save for...
@yukimori (9047)
@LovingMyBabies Sounds like she needs to find a shelter, then. You can't allow her to keep tormenting the poor kids.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Instead of telling us it isn't working, you need to tell her. Last night was a perfect opportunity. Every day you wait will only make it more difficult.
@Morleyhunt She did let me know earlier she's doing what she can to get out of here as soon as she can.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
@LovingMyBabies that sounds very open ended. She needs a definite date.....I've known friends with similar situations.
@yukimori (9047)
The more you post about her the more convinced I am that she sounds like someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. The acting like a toddler thing is a classic narc response to being told something like that. The problem with narcs is that they have to be the center of the universe. Right before I decided I was done with that behavior from my mom's husband, he threw a fit because we were paying more attention to our kids on Christmas than to him. Yeah, take a minute for that to sink in... Seriously, though, there's slim to no possibility of people like that changing. They simply don't have the capacity for self-reflection that's necessary to recognize that they're the problem, so they expect everyone else to conform to their expectations instead of making changes in themselves.
@yukimori Yup it does sound like this is what she has. She at least always needs to be in control of all situations. When anyone challenges her on anything she turns the blame on them-even our children for crying out loud! Oh wow, your mom's husband sounds like a real winner! He needs more attention than the children? WOW! That is insane.
@yukimori (9047)
@LovingMyBabies Yep, to the point where h went for a walk to pout about being told that nobody was going to pay more attention to him than the kids. We haven't seen him in nearly 3 years now. It's been great!
@Dena91 (4248)
Glad your husband spoke up and stood up for your family. She needs to be thankful you all cared enough to offer her a place to stay until she can get on her feet.
@Dena91 Yeah I'm grateful he said something because it was ridiculous. You would think she would be grateful but she doesn't act like she is.
I can see now why no one really wants to have Aunt Mary live with them. She is her own worst enemy it seems.
@Corbin5 Yeah we see it now too...=( I do understand why no one wanted her there.
It is always tough when someone else comes to stay with the family. I hope she finds a new place to stay very soon.
@NJChicaa Yes it is. I hope so too, this is taking it's toll on us.
@Jackalyn (6655)
• Oxford, England
Maybe you need to sit down with Auntie Mary and explain how you want things. She was in the wrong, but probably had an idea she was helping. Maybe ask her to help on your terms, but make your boundaries clear so she knows what you want for your kids? You just might occasionally need her as a babysitter?
@yukimori (9047)
Oh, no. No, no, no. If she's treating the kids like this when their parents are right there, what's she going to do to them if she's babysitting them alone? I think she just needs to go. Forget her finding a place at her leisure, she needs to be gone immediately to show the kids that the parents are looking out for what's best for them.
@yukimori Before she came I thought maybe she would be able to help with babysitting once in a while but now no way!
@sugartoes (40759)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I'd let her know real fast like if she's not willing to be civil like a adult & get along then it's time to find another place that she's more happy at.
@Tina30219 (34232)
• Onaway, Michigan
I agree it sounds like this is not going to work out having her there.And you are right she has no right telling your kids what to do.Glad your husband spoke up to her.
@Mike197602 (13509)
• Worcester, England
It's a bit weird she's acting like this with you since you're the only family that took her in. If she burns her bridges with you she'll be homeless won't she?
@quantum2020 (9261)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
I would suggest aunt Mary to wear a pair of ear plugs that are 80% or more efficient at reducing noise. This will reduce the family frictions. I hope everything comes to better terms between her and the family atmosphere