Hubby takes a second job..

Hubby just went out and got himself a new car. The car payment on the new car is $150/month more than his last car. He gave his old car to our son who will be taking over those payments. To cover the increased expense, hubby got a 2nd job. He is working for a security company that does security for bars and concerts, etc. He starts tonight. He'll work his first job from 7:30-5, then his second job from 6pm to about 3am.. Thankfully the second job is only 1 or 2 days a week, and he can decide if and when he wants to work... but we both worry it will be too much on him. He plans to look for another option soon, but this one will at least give us the money we need for his car payment without making us go broke at Christmas time! Just goes to show how much he loves his new car. I haven't ridden in it yet, he just got it on Tuesday. The kids insisted he drive them to school the next morning, and they came home saying how even the back seats are heated! apparently they all like the shiny new toy! LOL...
Heated seats are certainly a treat here! So it would be nice to have them in the back. I hope the extra work isn't too exhausting
I miss my heated seats... but I don't miss the leather!
@katsmeow1213 What was wrong with the leather? Can seats be heated without leather?
@paigea I don't believe they can, and I've never been a fan of leather seats... Imagine hot summers and shorts!
i ne'er thought heated seats'd be that big'f a deal, 'til we got this ol' yukon (2002). sure feels good'n those cold days! congrats to yer hubs. those hours jest don't seem to meld well together - givin' him very lil slumber. i hope he comes'p with a better solution....'n soon.
At first thought he was really excited about the job.. until he realized he'd be awake for almost 24 hours.. that's when it dawned on him that this may not work out. There's a new gas station opening up around the corner soon, he's going to try to apply there.
@katsmeow1213 i wish him luck, hon. that non-sleepin' jest aint a good thingy fer anybody.
@crazyhorseladycx No, it's not, but he's only going to do 1 night a week right now. He actually really liked the job.
@Blondie2222 (21226)
That is great he got a new car but yes working both jobs and those hours will definitely take it's toll on him. I hope it won't last forever and he can find something that won't be too hard on him. Hopefully the money is good too.
Nah, this job actually doesn't pay so good.. but it's something to hold him over until he finds a better one.
@Blondie2222 (21226)
@katsmeow1213 yeah well i wish him luck and hope he had a good first day.
That was a good idea of your husband's to earn a bit extra to make payments on the new car. I bet it is a beauty!!!
Well, he likes it... I'm not much into cars so it looks like any other car to me.
Not going to be easy for him to do that.
Probably not, but he wanted the car...
Great to read about employment enthusiasm but make sure it is NOT too much for him, calculations look like only 3 hours of sleep on one or two days of the week, hmmm not good
I hope it doesn't stress you guys out.
I hope he is able to keep up the two jobs. The new car sounds very spiffy.
@Shellyann36 (8919)
Oh congrats on the new ride! I hope he can work out the second job situation. Heated seats.... I have not had those for a long time. Sigh... That is ok, my Jeep is paid for and the insurance is cheap.
That's a good way to be... debt free! I only got my van a year ago, and I think I had a 7 year term on it, he has a 5 year term on his... so we've got a ways to go!
@katsmeow1213 Oh yes but I do miss those nice cars that don't really have mechanical problems. If we could manage an even trade off I would be so happy. Congrats on the new vehicles! I know how good it feels to be able to get everyone around in comfort!
@Shellyann36 Yes, I do enjoy not having to worry about major mechanical problems, or breaking down, or costly repairs. I've had to fix the brakes and tires on my car, but that's it.. and it's still under warranty so that's a plus too. But the car payments and expensive insurance isn't fun either...
• Portland, Connecticut
I personally prefer to spend the time at home and not have to work two jobs for a new toy, but that is just me. We always drive a 5 year old car lol
The car he bought is 5 years old. Really it was just bad timing. Our credit card balances are high at the moment due to Christmas shopping and we hadn't really paid them down from our summer vacations yet.. so he got a bad interest rate, but he didn't have the patience to wait. When we pay down the cards in the next couple months he can try to refinance the car and get a better interest rate and lower payment.
• Portland, Connecticut
@katsmeow1213 I used my checks that I get with my credit card to get an interest free year, I had o pay 3% but it seemed to be the easiest option. Of course, I do need to pay the car off in a year, it is a 2010 Sentra,
@sishy7 (27667)
I've taken second and even third job before, but it was many years ago when I was a lot younger... Congratulations on the new car - hopefully the extra work won't be too much to handle for him...