Heating the Home

In our house we have four gas wall heaters. There are also electric wall heaters to use in the bathrooms. We are turning on the heat today. Making sure pilot lights are lit, etc. I must say it certainly feels good. Normally we would have needed heat at least a month ago. It has been very mild this year.
I finally turned my heat on last night as it got really cold. It's been nice not having to worry about paying a heating bill with the milder temperatures we've been getting. I have a feeling it's going to get really cold suddenly and we'll be complaining about shoveling snow ugh
My plants finally were frost bit last night. Yes, I am sure when it hits we will be surprised.
Rather mild here too. Just now getting chilly here.
We did find it a bit chilly early and late, but mostly it was warm enough to be okay.
@GardenGerty ......That's good. It's to be 60 today.
I can remember the surprise I felt when I first saw heaters in houses in England. These were oil heaters on the walls.
I have never lived where I needed oil heat, we have had a variety of natural gas heat.
@GardenGerty We had a mobile oil heater for a while but didn't really need it so we gave to someone who did.
I don't think I"ve ever seen or heard of a gas wall heater. Is that expensive heating?
For us it is not expensive as we can just heat whatever areas we use. Each heater faces into the living room/computer room and then it also vents into a bedroom on the back. In many ways I would like to get central heat and air, but it might be rather expensive as there is no duct work. Last year we heated very little in the second bedrooms.
@GardenGerty If it works for you then you should keep it. I was curious as I've never seen or heard of that kind of system.
@toaqua (710)
Good to know you're comfortable with the heating in your house. I haven't experience it since I came from a tropical country.
Do you run fans or air conditioning year round, then? We could run it in the summer but I choose to do very little, mostly fans.
@toaqua (710)
@GardenGerty I use a small fan in my room day and night because it is hot and to ward off mosquitos.
@Dena91 (4635)
We broke down and turned our heat on too. Only going to the upper 50s today with a hard freeze tonight. Our cats are happy as they are snuggled close to the vents
We have a heated mattress pad so the cat spends evening hours enjoying it. If there is any sun she is in the south windows.
We needed the heat on last night but then during the days it gets warm again.
That sounds like us. I also do not see heating the house if we are both out of it for work.
@topffer (36061)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
I turned it on two weeks ago when the weather became suddenly cold, which is unusual here at this time of the year : last year the autumn was very sweet.
I think we may have stolen your autumn.
@Raine38 (9195)
I agree. We can still go out at night wth jackets on, unlike this time last year when we are already in our winter gear. But we also have started to heat up our house. We have the furnace going plus we fire up the sundance heater in the living room when we get home from work.
I am not sure what a sundance heater is but shall look it up. I have not really got a decent winter coat right now, just mostly jackets.
i wish the hubs'd finished his repair job'n our house he started a year 'go - that'd sure help with with our heatin' bill 'n no doubt would'a cut our coolin''n half this past summer. 'tis been mild here fer the most part, jest chilly nights 'n he insists'n keepin' the thermostat sat'n 72 degrees. fer myself? i jest add layers if'n i'm chilly, preferrin' to save the funds fer heatin' fer when winter really settles'n - usually january through march 'round here.
We have some jobs hubby needs to get to as well. The thermostats that we have on two of the furnaces do not work that well. I think I could do with 68 days and 66 nights if we could achieve that.
@GardenGerty i could live with those temps, too. this fella burns me out't night :( i hope that'cher hubs tends to such soon, hon.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
We turned our furnace on a few weeks ago, unfortunately. We use space heaters in the bedrooms.. the boys' bedroom is right near where the thermostat is, so their heater keeps the front room pretty warm. The rest of the house is cold compared to that room. But I still try to keep the thermostat pretty low so we don't use it too much.
I have enough space heaters we could do that if needed. I mostly prefer it cooler. We are experimenting with the idea of keeping low heat on throughout, heating the whole house evenly and see if that makes a pretty level bill and a comfy house.
@GardenGerty I like it cooler too... but most mornings the house is a little too chilly, but I hate to turn the thermostat up this early in the season.
Yes, mild here too. I am glad when the heat kicks on and the house warms. We need to change the furnace filter. Your post reminded me of that chore. Thank you.
Yes,regular maintenance is important