Women of Mylot, help me understand something...

Dallas, Texas
So as I was fixing leftovers for dinner, I overheard a segment with Megan Kelly on "Good Morning America," where she expressed how she and her daughter attended a gathering of accomplished women, and sometime after her daughter ask:"What's a bimbo?" Which bothered Ms. Kelly to have her daughter exposed touch adversity. So what I wanna know:"Is shielding women from adversity and the strife of life what it means to be a strong woman?" I've made my geekyness and the fact that I'm a black man known. And my awkward mannerisms and high sensitivity made me mean easy target for bullies growing up. It's the foundation of my bitterness towards mankind, but at the same time I've met women who went through similar adversities and some of them came out a lot nicer than me. Mostly because they didn't let that crap get to them. My mother was my known example of this as she strived to help me deal with the adversity growing up. As a result to me shielding women from adversity while stroking their egos doesn't build strength, but weakness. Especially when they want to be perceived as being "equal" to men and and us men are thrown to the wolves and told to "suck it up" whenever we face adversity. But maybe I'm missing something and shielding women from adversity is how humans should raise their children. But then again given the exampled I implied with my mother,maybe it's a white person thing. And if so,that irritates me in ways I can't explain.
@TheSojourner (17479)
I can barely see my screen on my phone but I just wanted to say that some of us learned how to face adversity and teach our children to do the same. Unfortunately, many of those children don't make the choices that we did because they're trying to be compliant or complacent. Dare I say which one I think it is? Haha i didn't teach my daughter to act that way but she has decided to be that way. Call it personality? Call it being influenced by the rest of society? I have no idea. But as long as she lived in my home, I taught her how to suck it up and stand up. What she does now is a grown woman is something over which I have no control.
• Dallas, Texas
@CoralLevang As much as I'd like to I'm not gonna assume squat about your daughter. But I can say from experience it's easier for some people to embrace this world's madness than reject it. Hell the last line in my post "it must be a white women thing" is a sign of a prejudice I've acquired four years ago. As a result the universe tends to humble me with the harsh truth. I saw the type of "women" that made up that pointless march of Trump's Inauguration, and there was a mix of non-white women in that cesspool of madness. I'd be distraught if I didn't expect such entitlement from my own race. We go through 400 years of oppression and then act like the world owes us something. That'll never be how it works... But yes it is society's influence, which we can ignore, but like I said it's easier to embrace such stupidity and divisiveness.
@Hanyouyomi you won't get any argument from me.
@ms1864 (6995)
• Bangalore, India
I agree with your point that shielding women from adversity will only make them weak. I myself feel like i have grown much stronger since my situations have been more difficult. I have learnt more and can deal with much more than i was able to when i was more shielded. So having been on both sides...i can definitely say that facing problems makes us stronger...even if we fail. We learn.
@Namelesss (1249)
Regardless who you are, male or female learning how to deal with reality can only truly come from exposure. We naturally tend to learn more from adversity, the reason is simple. Those adverse situations teach us the hard truths of life. While you may be an important person to someone to everyone else your just a another challenge.