Scam: If it is Too Good to be True, It Probably Is

@Raine38 (8910)
We have an acquaintance here, a middle aged woman who is also from the Philipines. She has been divorced for years and all her kids are grown up and live in different states. We know that she is feeling lonely so it is no surprise that she is in the market for a new love. And so, she chose online dating. She has been doing this for months, I think. She have a very strict selection process – she said she is old enough and has waited this long to settle with just anybody. And then, like an answered prayer, she met this guy from UK. She is all over the moon, singing praises for the guy: good-looking, nice, educated, good job, same age as her, all the good stuff. She showed us his text messages, the pictures he sent her and he does seem like a really nice guy. But one day, all these changed. Apparently, the guy sent her some stuff: a new laptop, some chocolates, jewelries, perfume and some cash, all in one box. He even gave her the tracking number. She checked it online and it does seem legit. A few days after that, she received a call from Malaysia saying she has a package enroute here but she has to pay duties or they will not release it to her. She asked how much? And they said about $2,000 plus! She said she does not have that kind of money. She called the guy and the guy encouraged her to come up with the money and he will pay her back, and that he included more than enough cash in the box for her to pay back whoever she borrowed the money from. I asked her, did you send the money? She said no, and that is why she came to talk to me to borrow some. I told her that is a scam. I even showed her the news articles online after a quick Google search that that is an old modus operandi targeting all women hoping to find love from overseas. Of course, the poor, unsuspecting woman, so excited over the promise of love and goodies, will scrape everything to pay for the “duties”. Then when they finally send the money, the guy’s number will no longer be active. So I guess she is back to square one.
I am sorry to hear she came up with the money to be scammed. :( How long did it take the man to lure your acquaintance.
@Raine38 (8910)
I think they have been talking for more than 6 months. Probably have other women that he is also talking, or it is all part of the scam to take some time so it will not be too suspicious.
@Raine38 that sucks How is this lady doing Did your boyfriends brother go to the phillipines?
@Raine38 (8910)
@infatuatedbby The lady, surprisingly, is back online chatting with other men. She just does not give up, which I think is good in some ways. And my boyfriend's brother is bound to fly end of this month and he will be there until the second week of December. Now it is slowly sinking in to him how complicated the flight is going to be for him, since it is an international one and he needs to board different airlines, he will have to go through different gates which will entail me to take the bus or shuttle to get there. Hopefully he spaced his connecting flights' departure time so he will make it to the gate in time. Imagine for a first timer, getting stuck somewhere in Malaysia or Japan because he missed his flight.
That is really sad. My grandmother's lesson come to mine. As well as the one where you should be careful what you put in print(write down at that time) is the one that says you don't give money to men or to anyone you don't know. It's just down right mean to think of this poor people who are hoping for love and get this instead.
@Raine38 (8910)
It is very sad. Hopefully she has learned a lesson and be extra cautious. Anyone could pretend to be anybody online.
@Raine38 .....It is nice to be able to be trusting but in this day and age it is rather impossible. Online or in reality time whatever.
@Raine38 (8910)
@celticeagle That's also true. It is getting harder and harder to trust anybody these days. What's sad is it also becomes harder to identify who really needs help and who are only going to abuse you.
@salonga (27762)
I hope that woman believed you otherwise she is foolish for making herself a another stupid victim of this modus.
@Raine38 (8910)
I think she did because the events leading to the request for money and those of other victims are very similar.
@salonga (27762)
@Raine38 That's good!
I hope she never sent the money. What a mean scam!
@Raine38 (8910)
I hope so too. She have other more important stuff to spend her money on, like doctor visits and her medicines.
That is very sad but it keeps on happening doesn't it? I am very sorry for your acquaintance.
@Raine38 (8910)
Yes, you hear of things like this happening everyday, but not to people you know. And when it finally did, it is just so terrible and unbelievable.