Hamster Jokester (Animal Story 9)

hamster
Denmark
When I got my job as a teacher, I was sent to a town I'd never heard of before. I was lucky to find accommodation with a nice family who helped me to acclimatise. It was a couple with two children, a 13-year-old boy, and a 10-year-old girl. I had a room, a kitchen and a bathroom on the upper floor of their house where the parents and the girl also had their bedrooms. One day a young colleague told me that he would be away for a long weekend. He asked me if I'd stay at home and if so, whether I could look after his two golden hamsters. I wasn't too keen on this. I had never had a hamster (or any other pet) and also didn't like these animals particularly. I don't know how to build a relationship with hamsters like I can do with cats or dogs. Besides, I consider keeping them in tiny cages cruelty to animals. I know that one can't let them roam freely through a house, of course. After all, they're rodents and bite and nibble at everything biteable and nibbleable. Yet my colleague pleaded with me. He didn't know anyone else he could ask. I relented. My landlord's daughter had a hamster in her room and I thought I could ask her to help me if need be. The opportunity came sooner than I expected. In the evening I put the cage in my kitchen in order to be able to get some sleep. The constant whirring of the hamster wheel got on my nerves. The next morning, when I went there to see how they were doing and feed them, I found one of them lying on its back with its paws in the air. Good grief! How was it possible that it had died on me? I hadn't done anything wrong, had I? I panicked. What could I tell my colleague? Then I had an idea. Don't all hamsters look alike more or less? Maybe if I bought a new one, he wouldn't notice. But I didn't know if the two hamsters were male/male // male/female // or female/female. I had forgotten to ask. I didn't see myself carrying a dead hamster to a zoo shop and ask a shop assistant to find out its gender. I told the girl about my plight. She had a look at the scene, took a long knife out of a drawer and poked the hamster gently into its side. It turned round, stood up and continued its hamster life as if nothing had happened. I was dumbstruck, flummoxed and flabbergasted! A miracle! The resurrection of a dead hamster! The girl, however, told me matter-of-factly that hamsters behave like that occasionally when they fight and want the opponent to stop attacking them. Obviously, it works. I was deeply moved and deplored the fact that human beings don't have such an inbuilt instinct. The hamster was safe, I was saved and my colleague happy when he got his hamsters back. --- If you're interested in more animal stories, click on the green box above the title.
I am glad to hear that the hamster was okay and that you didn't have to tell your friend you killed his hamster. I suppose you could have bought a new one. Not sure he would have even noticed!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh come on! To a hamster owner, each hamster is as distinct as horses are to horse owners. Well, almost.
@TheHorse lol maybe so. I had many hamsters and I couldn't tell one from other lol
I reckon I would have known if one had been substituted for another - but I've never had hamsters so I shouldn't really be giving an opinion.
Humans really would benefit from using the hamster-way of telling an aggressor that he or she has had enough! So glad a young person came to the rescue. When I was teaching, students had come to my aid on a variety of occasions due to me being clueless.
• Denmark
I had a 'handyman' in each class for all technical stuff. Always eager boys. Girls weren't interested in the job. They were 'paid' with an occasional sweet. Their help didn't result in better marks, though. :-)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Glad you didn't quickly flush him before his possum gag was over.
• Denmark
@TheHorse Do possums do that? There are none in Germany, so I wouldn't know.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@MALUSE Yes, possums freeze when threatened. Not upside down, though. funny story!
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Thanks for the chuckle I can just imagine how you felt at the time
That is quite the happy ending
• Marion, Kansas
Great story. I guess hamsters can be tricky. We had one at the preschool that got out, and managed to live under dangerous conditions for a while. They are cute, when they belong to someone else.
Like you I would have thought the same. I am not a hamster person either, although my big brother had a few when we were very little.
@Hate2Iron (7325)
lol... I didn't know that a hamster would do that and we have had two... but not at the same time. That would probably explain it!!
@Madshadi (3287)
• Brussels, Belgium
If I see a hamster come back to life I'd freak out lol. Thanks, I learned something about them today
@ms1864 (6969)
• Bangalore, India
lol...i didn't know hamsters did this either.
What a great story. I can only imagine how pleased you were to be able to give the hamsters back.
Not sure what to say.Most comments below says it all.LOL
Thank goodness you didn't bury it alive in the back garden!
I had no idea hamsters did such a thing. Clearly I don't know my rodents well enough.
Lol This is a funny experience.And I never knew hamster acted this way for survival...
• Denmark
I didn't know that, either, so I was shocked when I saw the immobile critter.
@MALUSE the funniest part was,you didnt knew its gender lol and was thinking to buy a new one...
• Denmark
@vaishu0106 It's a true story, believe me! Glad you liked it.
@garymarsh6 (12100)
Haha that made me laugh out loud. You poor thing what a shock!
• Denmark
Glad to see that you're back from wherever you were. Have to have a look.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
My daughter wanted a hamster all her life, I told her she could get one when she got over 90% for her examination, she did eventually achieve those marks, but she was 18 and not interested in a hamster anymore. There was no way I was going to have a hamster in my home!
• Portland, Connecticut
I have to admit I am not a hamster fan myself, they are much to rodent like for me. lol
I'm all for happy endings.
@LoriAMoore (9658)
That is so funny, although I'm sure it wasn't funny to you at the time. Who knew that hamsters played "opossum?"