Macy's Thanksgiving Parade is soon

@ramapo17 (24439)
Melbourne, Florida
I have been watching the Macy's Day Parade since I was a little girl. To me it is the beginning of the holiday season. As I got older I was excited to see my husband in the parade and another year, my daughter was in the parade. They both belonged to Drum Corps, that is some of the huge bands that march down the street in the parade. They were in different bands. My husband played a horn and my daughter twirled the flags, rifles and sabres. They loved doing that parade even though it was very long and they were gone all day. Lucky for both of them the weather was nice. Some years it rained or snowed. That parade is one of the biggest parades in New York City. It ends with Santa Claus. Great for kids of all ages, like me.
I have not seen it in years. I enjoyed it as a child. Not so much now.
@sharon6345 I don't watch it either I cannot sit and just watch something on TV. I can watch it if I am doing something like reading or writing or doing anything. I don't remember watching it as a child.
@Marty1 It was awesome e to see.
@sharon6345 Did you ever see it in person?
For several years Vince and I marched in our capital city for the Christmas Parade. It was held during the day for a few years but because it was often very hot they changed it to a night parade.
@Platespinner (16772)
Watching the Thanksgiving Day parade and the Rose Parade on New Year's Day are family traditions around here. We don't all sit and watch the whole thing, but we all watch some of it.
@ramapo17 (24439)
• Melbourne, Florida
Me too. I look forward to it. The people in it practice long hours and love doing it. My husband and daughter are still talking about it even though it was years ago for them .
@ramapo17 I just wish the networks would focus more on the parade and less on the talking heads that serve as hosts.
@ramapo17 (24439)
• Melbourne, Florida
@Platespinner I know what you mean. New Years Day we watch the whole parade too and then football for the rest of the day.
• New Delhi, India
Wow sounds interesting
@ramapo17 (24439)
• Melbourne, Florida
They both loved being in it and the camera zoomed in on my daughter once.
• New Delhi, India
@ramapo17 it must gave been a great moment
@ramapo17 (24439)
• Melbourne, Florida
@amitkokiladitya It was but that was before being able to record things on tv so we never get to see it again. At least memories in our minds cannot be erased.
@ramapo17 My sister once lived in New York City and my mom told her she should not come home for Thanksgiving because she was coming home to move back here at the end of that year. Then they said it was so cold and windy in NYC on the news that they were inflating a lot of the balloons. I felt si bad because I heard that on the 5 am news then when it was light I went out to get the newspaper it was mild here, and the sky was all blue with big cottony clouds It was gorgeous here I forgot to mention it rained i NYC that year, too!
@ramapo17 (24439)
• Melbourne, Florida
I remember watching it one year in the rain.
@ramapo17 I think my sister was in the audience that year!
@responsiveme (16756)
Santa Claus is great for kids of all ages as you say.Will your family be in the parade this year?
@ramapo17 (24439)
• Melbourne, Florida
No, we live in Florida now. I wish I was going.
@KnehKnah (3472)
That sure is a happy moment for all parade participants & their families! I wish you posted a pic, my dear Ma'am!
@ramapo17 (24439)
• Melbourne, Florida
That was so long ago and never got any pictures. I am not sure if their bands are in it this year.
I watch it every year on TV and it is good and has always been a great parade.
@ramapo17 (24439)
• Melbourne, Florida
I never miss it and sometimes record it.
• Preston, England
sounds great - I love seeing parades and carnivals
I always love to watch that on TV too.