Stephan Hawking predicts End of Earth

@stealthy (8189)
Stephan Hawking has predicted the expiration of Earth as 3016: He agrees with me that humans need to move into space. This is something I have long thought was necessary whether it is on sustainable space ships or to planets elsewhere in the galaxy. The later would, of course, require the space ships to get there.
The professor made headlines this week when he spoke at Oxford about the urgent need to make strides in space travel.
@Mike197602 (13517)
• Worcester, England
we won't need to if we curb our population and conserve what natural resources we have left. But eventually I think we will have to leave as other life forms probably left their planets.
@stealthy (8189)
While I agree with you about the population and resources, Hawking also includes nuclear war and other possible reasons.
@Mike197602 (13517)
• Worcester, England
@stealthy I don't see nuclear war anytime soon...contrary to what a lot of the media are hyping My opinion the biggest issues for the world in the future will be resources so (utterly going back on myself) I can maybe see a nuclear war but it'd be an extinction war with no winners.
@akalinus (12445)
I'll help by making a list of people who should go. I live to serve.
• Rochester, New York
I thought I read somewhere that the world wasn't going to end for over a couple million years.
@ms1864 (7001)
• Bangalore, India
it won't by itself. But if humans continue to ruin the planet...it might not last that long....even if it lasts...it might not be livable.
@stealthy (8189)
The couple of million years is from the Sun doing something. Hawking is suggesting other reasons.
• Rochester, New York
@stealthy The world was supposed to end countless of times already. lol This is a gotta see it to believe it kind of thing. I didn't know he was a psychic or clairvoyant to make these kinds of predictions. Very cool.
When I look at the time, I suddenly feel relaxed
@chiwasaki (4678)
If we run out of resources and abuse mother nature, I guess we need to move to mars hehe.
Well, I believe in God, so of course I believe the world will end when He comes back. I just don't know when that will be. As great as Heaven sounds, I'm good with lasting a bit longer. However, I don't think He's happy with what humans have done to the earth. We've totally misused it.