Prayers are Offensive????

@patgalca (14664)
Orangeville, Ontario
Having the emotional challenges I have had recently, it affects me physically because of my fibromyalgia. So, because my body was being affected I went to a Fibromyalgia Support Group Facebook page which was started by a woman I have been in contact with in our immediate area as she runs a physical support group in the area. Today I got a message from one of the other moderators telling me that speaking of prayers and religion was forbidden on the page, that I should read the terms of service. When I acknowledged this message, as requested, the comments regarding prayers were deleted. I remember some talk about this on the message board in the past but I guess I just completely forgot about it, or thought discussions more extreme than asking for prayers was the issue. What has this world come to when you cannot ask people to pray for you? If I continued to discuss God and prayers I would probably be removed from the group. This is pretty outrageous, as far as I'm concerned. I read a post recently that said something along the lines of "You are offended when I wish you a Merry Christmas? I am offended that you are taking Christ out of Christmas." The world is going to fall apart if we all give up on God. I think I'll stick with myLot... hopefully I don't offend anyone here.
I have no religion so no religions offend me. If the group changed it's policy and accepted you asking for prayers, would you then be all right with people from other religions bringing up things about their religion? I am just guessing that it is simpler to keep all religion out of that support group to prevent people from having religion based disagreements. I hope you can find the support you need. Take care.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@paigea I think we would all do well to learn other religions. I used to work for a Jewish woman and WITH another one and I learned quite a bit about their beliefs.
@patgalca oh I agree with that. Mostly people can respect the beliefs of others if they listen. And maybe the group owners should reconsider their policy.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@paigea I'm not on there enough to care. I can understand on certain pages but when it's a SUPPORT group I would expect empathy.
@Morleyhunt (19278)
There are some people who are just looking for something to be offended by.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@Morleyhunt Some people aren't happy without conflict.
@HazySue (24601)
Wow, I have never heard of a support group say that. I would think they would look at it as a help.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@HazySue That's would I just said in another comment. From a support group you would expect empathy.
@HazySue (24601)
@patgalca sending you hugs and prayers.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@HazySue Thank you.
@1hopefulman (34826)
Maybe you should look for another support group? Hopefully you can find one where they are more openminded.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@1hopefulman There are plenty of them on Facebook but I liked this one because I knew it was started by someone in the immediate area and probably have met, certainly have been in contact through email. I am a member of other fibromyalgia group pages on Facebook. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the same rules apply.
• Lenox, Georgia
That is so sad. This world is becoming a sad place to live. People want to get rid of prayers and God, that's offensive to me. We are all offended by something but most of us deal with it and keep our mouths shut. I love the Lord and won't stop praying, I don't care who likes me for it or not. =)
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@LovingMyBabies I hate getting into discussions about politics and religion. I usually stay out of it but I just can't help think what is happening to this world because we are denied the right to acknowledge God... The God who CREATED this world.
@Bluedoll (17039)
My belief is that Jesus Christ is alive and well and is happy with the father. There are still people that want to crucify him for what he represents and do away with those associated with him. Some things never seem to change.
Some people are just closed minded and overly sensitive. Don't let it get you down :) Could you imagine going through life being that easily offended? I think they must be miserable all of the time.
@patgalca Those people don't sound like ones I would want to associate myself! I think that saying about Merry Christmas and Christ is a good one. Never heard it before but really like it!
It seems that people in our days only search for excuses to get offended. If someone is not a Christian there is no reason to be offended because you wish a Merry Christmas, just ignore it.
@1creekgirl (13015)
If people are offended when we mention God, so be it. There are Christians who have Fibro and I'm one of them. Maybe we should start our own support group.
The world won't fall apart if those that believe, stop-- but those that do not are not to be chastised either nor coerced to pray for someone when they understand what a prayer is.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I didn't even ask for prayers. I said I was relying on the prayers of many and my faith in God. I wasn't coercing anyone.
@patgalca well if prayers do help, we wouldn't want anyone to stop I was just saying how others might have misinterpreted the request -- Have a super Thanksgiving
@Jackalyn (7384)
• Oxford, England
I love we can say we pray for people here.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@Jackalyn Thank you.