Going to Mississippi

@noni1959 (2703)
I love spelling that word. I remember being five and so proud I could. Another was Tennessee. I'm flying out Monday afternoon to Memphis, TN and my oldest daughter will pick me and we'll drive to her country place in Pope, MS. I love going there. When you pass through Pope it reminds me of the little rail town in Fried Green Tomatoes. When I was there last, the little old store fronts were being occupied and fixed up. I think there are only about six of them or so. I don't like the cottonmouth snakes and sometimes we'll see them in her yard. My son-in-law grew up there and he'll swim in the rivers and lakes with them all around. And snapping turtles..... They have a nice lake and camping area about give miles away or so. It's called Lake Enid. We go once in awhile to picnic but the weather will be iffy this Thanksgiving. She is buying the turkey and taking it to a man to smoke it today. Usually she is up at 3 am cooking her heart out but I told her this year, let's make it easier. We can bake pies and fix the other foods later in the morning. I'm making a home made pecan and she will an apple and pumpkin. My grandson is making something he said will be a surprise. He is 19 and been practicing. When I return from MS, we'll have an early Christmas here since my son-in-law here has to return to Iraq. They will have the tree, no doubt another 20 + footer, up when I return. I'm getting a potted one for downstairs and then plant it in our forest. I'm still working on a late Christmas down in CA with my son and family. Do you have plans to travel for the holidays or have people coming?
@UncleJoe (9040)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
No. We have the grandkids come here.
@noni1959 (2703)
My grandkids are all scattered in MS, CA and here in OR. I'm hoping next year we all can be together and maybe they come here.
@UncleJoe (9040)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@noni1959 Oh, c'mon! You're too young to have grandchildren!
@noni1959 (2703)
@UncleJoe I have seven and the oldest is 19. My oldest daughter is 39! I have a 33 year old son and 31 year old daughter. I'm enjoying being a Noni.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I can remember spelling Mississippi when I was a kid – M-i-crocked letter-crocked letter-i-crocked letter-crocked letter-i-humpback letter-humpback letter-i. Have a good trip. The only place I'll be going on Thanksgiving is to pick up my 92-year-old mother and my brother and go out to dinner. Anywhere you live there are some bad characters. When I lived in Oregon up near Detroit Lake there were scorpions. I guess their sting wasn't any worse than a bee sting, but still....
@noni1959 (2703)
That's about 28 miles from me. I never saw the scorpions when I camped there. I don't see them around me but most likely I'll come across them sooner or later. The house I sold in CA had those little brown scorpions and I was stung twice by them. They hurt like a bee sting.
@IreneVincent (15851)
I hope you are enjoying your trip to Memphis and MS. Are you going to be able to visit Graceland. I've always wanted to go there.
@noni1959 (2703)
Thank you. I fly out to go on Monday. I've been to Graceland twice, once at Christmas time and once in September. It's so different at each time. Some day I want to go back.
@noni1959 Nice! I've always wanted to go to Graceland. Sometimes I just feel like getting in my car and driving there. It's really not that far.
Sounds like you are going to an awesome holiday season with so much going on in the next little while. Enjoy every moment. We really don't have any plans but I will probably be going to my son's on Christmas eve and having Christmas dinner at my daughter's house. They both have so many dinners to go to over the holidays with various in laws so I won't be having Christmas dinner at my place this year.
@noni1959 (2703)
Have a wonderful time with them. It can be hard to get together when our kids have their families and inlaws.
@noni1959 yes it is so it is easier for me to go out them when it is convenient
@fishtiger58 (30617)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanksgiving is always at my house as I have a big enough house to accommodate everyone. I am going to Arizona the first week of December to see my aunt. And then I'm going to hunker down to ride out the cold winter.
@noni1959 (2703)
It seems like winter came up quick this year. Enjoy your family at your home and have a safe trip.
@fishtiger58 (30617)
• Momence, Illinois
@noni1959 In the Chicago area it seems slow in getting here.
I am improving my geographic knowledge with online quizzes and now know where all the states are. Connecticut has a 'funny' spelling to my way of thinking.
@noni1959 (2703)
Now that I look at the word more it does. lol
@spaceseed (2898)
I am hearing this name from my child hood. yes Mississippi. I am also in love with this name :). Even so that I used to think that Mississippi is a fairy