53 Or November 19, 1963? What Does It Mean?

Well It was 53 years ago today when I was born. Here are the differences Between Then and Now: A Coke was $0.05 and now costs $1.50 A McDonalds Big Mac was $0.28 and now costs $3.99 A New Car cost $3,233.00 and now it costs $31,252.00 The Average ANNUAL Income was $4,396.00 and now is $44,321.00 The cost of an average House was $19,300 and now is $152,000.00 Not only that but The US Zip Code system was begun for the first time in 1963. For more go to the link below. What can you remember?
1963 Prices including Wages, Houses and Gas, Toys, Fashions and Furniture, Events include President John F Kennedy assassinated, Beatlemania, Profumo Scandal, Alcatraz Closes, Ku Klux Klan dynamite Baptist Church, ...
@Madshadi (7876)
• Brussels, Belgium
The world has changed a lot I guess. People have too. Who knows what will happen in the next generation time. Happy Birthday!
@Madshadi Thanks! Just for some reference... I was a Premi and spent several weeks in an 'Iron Lung' also known as an Incubator. The picture above is of an incubator of the time but not of me.
@Madshadi (7876)
• Brussels, Belgium
@Berniezeitler I thought that was you. I never saw an incubator before. Looks a lot like an oven, only with glass.
@Madshadi I turned out pretty good for being 'cooked at 350 degrees for several weeks!
@1creekgirl (9534)
Hope it's been a happy birthday, Bernie!
@1creekgirl He really enjoyed his free dinner at Finleys.
@1creekgirl Thanks! I miss the good old days when a family could eat out for under $10 though.
@Berniezeitler I remember. And fast food is neither fast nor cheap! We could eat a good meal at a local restaurant for what it costs at McDonalds.
Happy birthday, what a great picture and some awesome facts. Thank you for sharing.
@Happy2BeMe No Problem.. I think it helps put things in perspective when we look at inflation and such.
@Berniezeitler yes it certainly does
@tallawah (7739)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Most things went up 10 fold it seems, except housing which went up nearly 100x
@tallawah You said it!
The sixties were defined by the launch of a new era. Take a trip down memory lane & check out how the cost of living has shifted over the years.
@CoralLevang (16184)
I was 8 years, three months, and 9 days old. I had just started 4th grade. And I was anticipating Thanksgiving, because Christmas was only 35 days away! I was so happy to have a sister. I have a brother who was 4 and a half, and I wasn't liking him very much by that time. I don't know exactly what year was, but it was about this time, that I remember going to a burger place called Burger Chef. It cost $0.47 for a burger, fries, and small pop. And I also remember that on Sundays, we could buy 10 burgers for $1. Happy birthday!
@CoralLevang Burger Chef still lives! But I don't believe anyplace is that cheap now! Thanks for the birthday wishes!
@CoralLevang (16184)
@Berniezeitler I know the Burger Chef in Granada Hills California went by the wayside many many decades ago. I'm not sure what part of the country they still might be in
@CoralLevang The Midwest. While they are rare I have seen them in Michigan. I don't think they are quite the same as the one we remember though.
Burger Chef. 16,833 likes · 47 talking about this. Burger Chef was an American fast-food restaurant chain founded in 1954 in Indianapolis, Indiana. The...
@cindiowens (3897)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Happy birthday! You are 3 years and 349 days older than me.
@cindiowens So your saying your still a kid to me!!! LOL
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
@Berniezeitler Well, when I was born, you were almost 4, so,,,,,,yeah.
@LoriAMoore (4851)
Haha, remember our grandparents telling us what things cost when they were younger? Now we're doing it!
@LoriAMoore Well we finally understand why we shouldn't have whined when we didn't get things! We are trying to share that wisdom with the next generation! LOL
happy belated birthday, I hope it went well!
Happy Birthday, as I read your post, I think of the good ole days, I am fifteen years older than you, and I still can't pay a $1.50 for a coke I remember when they were only $0.05. Enjoy your day.
@popciclecold Isn't it amazing how everything fits into perspective!
I remember, my mom paying $40.00 for food that lasted a month. LOL
Happy belated birthday.
@Julie555 (2560)
Great post and good calculation
@garymarsh6 (12587)
Many Happy returns for yesterday. Things certainly have changed over the years. Some for the better and some not so good. We were born at the right time!
@nanette64 (15527)
• Fairfield, Texas
I remember you could buy 3 loaves of bread for $1 and now you can't even buy 1 for that price. I also remember you could buy a whole bag of groceries for $5; now you'd be lucky to get a loaf of bread and a box of cereal for that price @Berniezeitler . BTW, Happy Birthday ma' man; I hope it is a very happy day.
@responsiveme (14290)
Happy birthday, Have a wonderful year ahead. Lots of things have changed , haven't they? A big change I see is youngsters 'chatting' on the net across their rooms in a hostel...when earlier it would mean them meeting at a common place and 'chatting'
@topffer (31677)
• France
Happy Birthday Bernie. I have to juggle two different currencies here, because we switched to Euros, and it is a bit difficult, so I asked to an online inflation calculator to do the job : an amount of 1000 in France in November 1963 would be 9215 today.