My Ten Favorite Man and Woman Songs: Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man (#7)

@FourWalls (15228)
I'm going to make sure that @teamfreak16 gets full credit for starting this. He came up with the idea of ten favorite "girl" songs, and from there I've tried to cover all of the gender nouns. That includes songs that have "man" and "woman" in the same title. Here's the next song. #7: Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man - Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn I promise it was not intentional to have two of the greatest and most successful "superstar" duets, Porter & Dolly and Conway & Loretta, show up on the same night. It just happened that way. If Porter and Dolly owned the late 60s, Conway and Loretta owned the 70s. Unlike the Porter & Dolly team, which had the established star (Wagoner) and the up-and-coming superstar (Parton) together, with this act there were two well-established stars: Loretta Lynn, who'd been recording since 1962, and Conway Twitty, who went back to the late 50s as an early rock and roller then became a country singer in the late 60s. (Your worthless trivia: Conway wasn't Loretta's first singing duet partner. She did a number of duets with Ernest Tubb in the mid-60s.) Here you have a happy, upbeat song about two people in love, just on the opposite sides of the Mississippi River (Twitty was from Mississippi, but we all know that Loretta is from Kentucky). Definitely not the first time this subject has been addressed in a song (remember "Running Bear"?), but instead of just going to the nearest bridge to drive over to the other side, they opt for swimming. "If he can't come to me I'm gonna go to him, that Mississippi River I'm gonna swim," she vows. Then he acts: "I'm gonna jump in the river and here I go. Too bad, alligator, you swim too slow." It's one of Conway & Loretta's big hits and the second most fun (behind "You're the Reason Our Kids Are Ugly"). And, in the worthless trivia department, Conway said he always loved the way Loretta sang the word hurricane as hair-icane in the song. Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man Written by Becki Bluefield and Jim Owen Recorded by Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn From Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man, 1973 A good live version from Hee Haw:
http://www.youtube.com/user/notgenewatsonsongs http://www.youtube.com/user/genewatsonsongs Top single by Country Music's Top Duet
This is a new song to me.
@TheSojourner (17304)
This was always one of my favorite songs!
Great song one of my all time favorites too.
You're right. That is a fun song.
@LoriAMoore (4678)
Oh gosh it's been decades since I heard that song.
@Dena91 (4652)
A classic for sure.