The JJ Report - Intrusive Ads on myLot

By JJ
Olney, Illinois
Okay @GoAskAlice & @myLotBugs - this needs attention. I've been seeing lots of discussions/responses/comments dealing with 'pop-up' ads and such here lately. Although I do not actually approve of the practice, I have been running an adblocker for quite some time, and haven't had the experience myself. But today, I decided to experiment. I turned my adblocker off for two hours. And while I did not get any pop-up ads, I was redirected 10 times during that period without clicking anything. Three times while I was writing comments, once while writing a PM to another member, and 6 times while simply viewing a discussion. Pages were also extremely slow in completely loading, and the cursor tended to hang for several seconds when attempting to type at times. This is simply unacceptable. You know I love this site, and I'd do anything I could to help it...but I am afraid I am left with no choice but to re-enable my adblocker. PLEASE - do something about this. I did manage to copy the URL for 9 of the redirects if you would like a list of them.
@sugartoes (25336)
• Greencastle, Indiana
you TOO huh? I thought it was my computer doing it I was getting crap on mine that was telling me the site had a virus or that it was blocked & had to call a # to get it fixed & I had to kill my computer 4 times this week cause of it. I was about to just close my acct out cause it don't do it on other sites I'm on & that tells me that it's this site.
• Olney, Illinois
At first I thought it may be a computer problem with some users, but it was happening too often, so I decided to check it myself. This is a serious problem.
@kevin1877uk (35514)
@JolietJake Yeah it is a serious problem and i don't get it from any other website, just here
@KristenH (15823)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@shaggin Same here from Microsoft, back this late spring. I had it twice. So I went to My Geek PC to fix the problem and paid for a three-month membership for protection. Unfortunately, it had expired in September.
I have been experiencing the same problems. Some days are worse the others.it gets so frustrating when it keeps redirecting to another site right in the middle of a post. So many times I have to close mylot and open it again to be able to post. I have to do it over and over again while I am on here. I hope it gets fixed soon.
• Olney, Illinois
It is possible TPTB don't realize exactly how bad it has become...hopefully they'll see it here
@pgntwo (18447)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Good call there, JJ!
• Olney, Illinois
There have been too many complaints from people. I had thought doubling the memory on my computer would help with loading times, but the only thing it appeared to speed up was how quickly I was re-directed.
@pgntwo (18447)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JolietJake Yep - make a computer faster, and all it does is do stupid things more quickly. GIGO.
It is freaking obnoxious
• Olney, Illinois
And that is saying it for the PG - 13 audience
• Marion, Kansas
I had an adblocker in the past, but not now. I thought I did, and I also think Firefox automatically blocks things. I do get the bogged down typing at times, though and occasional redirects. I just chalked it up to the cost of myLot doing business. I think it was smart to copy the url's
• Olney, Illinois
The first one I was just pissed and closed it out...I started copying after the second one happened a few minutes later.
@pgntwo (18447)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JolietJake Persistence should pay off, PM them to admin or bugs would be a good idea.
@FourWalls (6841)
I use the restricted website feature on my iPad. It only redirects once, then BLOCKED!
• Olney, Illinois
I was redirected to several different places, although a few were repeats.
@simone10 (22378)
• Louisville, Kentucky
That is exactly why I run an adblocker too! It all just bogs my computer down too much and like you, I get redirected to other sites.
@sishy7 (21910)
phew, so glad it's not just me and that it's a legit problem... it's super duper annoying...
• Olney, Illinois
Admin needs to see how widespread and bad this actually has become
I am glad you wrote this post! This is something that was such a burden that I no longer mylot on my computer. I do not get the redirects on my ipod and am thankful for that. If I had to deal with the constant redirects I would have to qut the site!
• Olney, Illinois
This is way more widespread that I thought it was...I don't think we've ever gotten everyone together to talk about it
@kevinakash (1946)
• Sri Lanka
so glad that you have done something important for others. it's so good that you care about others. anyway i think i'm using an add blocker too. bcz i didn't see these kind of things luckily
• Sri Lanka
@JolietJake yes everything should have a limit.
@Drosophila (16933)
oh wow ouch
• Olney, Illinois
Indeed
@Drosophila (16933)
@JolietJake lol thats usually my line hahaha
@KristenH (15823)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I agree with you 100%, JJ.
I just don't mind them because know they are part of those who gives income to this site .
• Olney, Illinois
@SIMPLYD You'd have to look through the discussion, it appears to be going on everywhere
@jolietjake I thought I just pressed something wrong as i just started happening to me lately! It is really annoying!
• Olney, Illinois
Nope, not just you...and I am seeing from all the responses it is even worse of a problem than I thought.
@LoriAMoore (11398)
Thanks, JJ.
• Olney, Illinois
Figured it was time to speak up about it...it's 10x worse than it was when I began running adblock
@MissNikki (2373)
This has happened to me before too. Ugh.
Your are correct! I hate those and sometimes I just have enough of it and turn off the site! However, of late I just cuss a lot and hit the back button.
@annierose (16602)
Hum..I haven't experienced that with my computer..Is it solved already in your end?
• Olney, Illinois
Nope, I and several others were still getting them yesterday
@annierose (16602)
@inertia4 (25470)
I haven't been on here much lately, but I have also encountered some of those redirects. They are annoying to say the least. As for the site lagging, well, I haven't experienced that at all. That could be an internet connection issue for some. I think this post will give MyLot an insight to the issue. And I am also sure they will work hard to fix it.
• Olney, Illinois
I do hope they find the 'culprit'.
@inertia4 (25470)
@JolietJake I am sure they will, in time. I would have to believe it is not easy to find a needle in a haystack. But they will fix it.
I don't have any of those issue and the site to me if much faster with my new computer. The photos are my issue.
@JolietJake That's not good, but I have to say it isn't happening to me for a change.