The JJ Report - Intrusive Ads on myLot

By JJ
Okay @GoAskAlice & @myLotBugs - this needs attention. I've been seeing lots of discussions/responses/comments dealing with 'pop-up' ads and such here lately. Although I do not actually approve of the practice, I have been running an adblocker for quite some time, and haven't had the experience myself. But today, I decided to experiment. I turned my adblocker off for two hours. And while I did not get any pop-up ads, I was redirected 10 times during that period without clicking anything. Three times while I was writing comments, once while writing a PM to another member, and 6 times while simply viewing a discussion. Pages were also extremely slow in completely loading, and the cursor tended to hang for several seconds when attempting to type at times. This is simply unacceptable. You know I love this site, and I'd do anything I could to help it...but I am afraid I am left with no choice but to re-enable my adblocker. PLEASE - do something about this. I did manage to copy the URL for 9 of the redirects if you would like a list of them.
@sugartoes (32382)
• Greencastle, Indiana
you TOO huh? I thought it was my computer doing it I was getting crap on mine that was telling me the site had a virus or that it was blocked & had to call a # to get it fixed & I had to kill my computer 4 times this week cause of it. I was about to just close my acct out cause it don't do it on other sites I'm on & that tells me that it's this site.
At first I thought it may be a computer problem with some users, but it was happening too often, so I decided to check it myself. This is a serious problem.
@kevin1877uk (35705)
@JolietJake Yeah it is a serious problem and i don't get it from any other website, just here
@KristenH (18965)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@shaggin Same here from Microsoft, back this late spring. I had it twice. So I went to My Geek PC to fix the problem and paid for a three-month membership for protection. Unfortunately, it had expired in September.
I have been experiencing the same problems. Some days are worse the others.it gets so frustrating when it keeps redirecting to another site right in the middle of a post. So many times I have to close mylot and open it again to be able to post. I have to do it over and over again while I am on here. I hope it gets fixed soon.
It is possible TPTB don't realize exactly how bad it has become...hopefully they'll see it here
It is freaking obnoxious
And that is saying it for the PG - 13 audience
• Marion, Kansas
I had an adblocker in the past, but not now. I thought I did, and I also think Firefox automatically blocks things. I do get the bogged down typing at times, though and occasional redirects. I just chalked it up to the cost of myLot doing business. I think it was smart to copy the url's
The first one I was just pissed and closed it out...I started copying after the second one happened a few minutes later.
@pgntwo (20360)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JolietJake Persistence should pay off, PM them to admin or bugs would be a good idea.
@pgntwo (20360)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Good call there, JJ!
There have been too many complaints from people. I had thought doubling the memory on my computer would help with loading times, but the only thing it appeared to speed up was how quickly I was re-directed.
@pgntwo (20360)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JolietJake Yep - make a computer faster, and all it does is do stupid things more quickly. GIGO.
@FourWalls (8891)
I use the restricted website feature on my iPad. It only redirects once, then BLOCKED!
I was redirected to several different places, although a few were repeats.
@simone10 (22271)
• Louisville, Kentucky
That is exactly why I run an adblocker too! It all just bogs my computer down too much and like you, I get redirected to other sites.
I am glad you wrote this post! This is something that was such a burden that I no longer mylot on my computer. I do not get the redirects on my ipod and am thankful for that. If I had to deal with the constant redirects I would have to qut the site!
This is way more widespread that I thought it was...I don't think we've ever gotten everyone together to talk about it
@kevinakash (1967)
• Sri Lanka
so glad that you have done something important for others. it's so good that you care about others. anyway i think i'm using an add blocker too. bcz i didn't see these kind of things luckily
• Sri Lanka
@JolietJake yes everything should have a limit.
@Drosophila (16881)
oh wow ouch
Indeed
@Drosophila (16881)
@JolietJake lol thats usually my line hahaha
@sishy7 (25560)
phew, so glad it's not just me and that it's a legit problem... it's super duper annoying...
Admin needs to see how widespread and bad this actually has become
@KristenH (18965)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I agree with you 100%, JJ.
@jolietjake I thought I just pressed something wrong as i just started happening to me lately! It is really annoying!
Nope, not just you...and I am seeing from all the responses it is even worse of a problem than I thought.
@LoriAMoore (8714)
Thanks, JJ.
Figured it was time to speak up about it...it's 10x worse than it was when I began running adblock
I just don't mind them because know they are part of those who gives income to this site .
@SIMPLYD You'd have to look through the discussion, it appears to be going on everywhere
@annierose (17241)
Hum..I haven't experienced that with my computer..Is it solved already in your end?
Nope, I and several others were still getting them yesterday
@annierose (17241)
@inertia4 (26582)
I haven't been on here much lately, but I have also encountered some of those redirects. They are annoying to say the least. As for the site lagging, well, I haven't experienced that at all. That could be an internet connection issue for some. I think this post will give MyLot an insight to the issue. And I am also sure they will work hard to fix it.
I do hope they find the 'culprit'.
@inertia4 (26582)
@JolietJake I am sure they will, in time. I would have to believe it is not easy to find a needle in a haystack. But they will fix it.
I don't have any of those issue and the site to me if much faster with my new computer. The photos are my issue.
@JolietJake That's not good, but I have to say it isn't happening to me for a change.
• Trinidad And Tobago
I have experienced some troubles but thought that the site itself was having problems. And as I had difficulties signing up to this site, I thought it was peculiar to my country. My friend had to sign me in.As for the pop ups...yes, once or twice. Most irritating intrusion. Nice meeting you dear, and thank for the visit.
I hope this can be resolved quickly.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@JolietJake Seems that's not to be. I posted a discussion today and it said system error, then I posted again and it did the same thing. However when I re-entered the site two copies were printed, but not my accompanying pic. Funny site huh?
I've been getting that issue for several days now and is extremely annoying.
Bugsy (myLotBugs) is supposed to be working on finding out where they are coming from.