Snow, glorious snow and the records

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I was going to do a different discussion today, but I am gladly forced to do this one today, The other discussion can wait until tomorrow! What is this mysterious discussion I am obliged to write today? The discussion is about the good news is that the weather persons were right. The weather prediction in which they were right, and we are getting what I have been hoping for so long is that I woke up later than normal at 9:20 am and I walked out of my room, and it IS SNOWING! Snow, oh, glorious snow! I am trying something new this year and not use our regular snow shovel person whom my sister does not like at all, and I am going to shovel the snow! I am actually looking forward to it! Right now it is not sticking because it is still too warm on the sidewalks as we have been getting almost record high temperatures! I did a bit of research because I was interested and found out Pittsburgh since March 1884 had as earliest snow a trace amount on September 23, 1989 The record for the latest in season snow is a trace of snow on May 31, 1893 The earliest snow that accumulated was 1.8 inches of snow was October 18, 1972 Do you have snow where you live? Have you ever looked at the records of snow for your area? Research Citation: National Weather Service www.weather.gov/pbz/tsnow#Latest Picture Pixabay
So glad to hear you got what you wanted!!! I bet the snow does look pretty!! If you shovel, just do it slowly, my friend.
@corbin5 It is gorgeous! Yes, I guess I better do it slowly. Thanks for the reminder! I don't think I will have to do it today as it is not sticking. Do you have snow?
Yes, take it easy when you shovel. It is good exercise but not a race. I was reading tips about snow shoveling to my husband yesterday as he tends to go at it furiously and doesn't stop until he is done. Worries me. The article said to stretch and warm up first and to drink water just like any exercise.
@paigea Thank you for giving me the idea to look up snow shoveling tips Your tip you gave me is great, I will do it slowly. Thank you, I hope your husband listened to the tips.
We get a ton of snow most years. I have looked at the records but I always forget what I read. I am sure we have had snow every month of the year somewhere in Alberta like the mountains. Where I live we have certainly had it October through May every year. And we often get frost in early June and late August. We have our winter wonderland here now. I love it of course, though I have not dug out my cross country skis.
@Paigea The reason I am so excited is the last winter it barely snowed and was warm most days. We don't get too much snow only 41.9 inches is our average. I love weather extremes!
@Marty1 We had much less snow than usual last year too. It would snow and disappear we had so much warmer than usual weather.
@paigea Last couple of Christmas' it got so warm that out celebrations with extended family on Christmas Eve we had to open the door it became so warm in our houses!
I wish we got snow here but sadly we don't. =( I looked it up and the last time it actually really snowed here was in 1989. So sad. I am glad you get to enjoy the snow where you are though! =)
@lovingmybabies I thought it snowed at least once a year in Florida? I hope you get at least flurries!
@Marty1 We have been here over a year now and I have never seen any. =( The last time we even got flurries it said was in 2010.
@LovingMyBabies Do you like snow? Do you wish for snow? I don't think I could go without snow!
It snowed here the other night. I'm still not ready for it.
@teamfreak16 Did the snow stick? Sorry, you aren't ready for it. Hopefully, it won't snow until you aer ready for it.
@Marty1 - Oh, I'm never ready for it. Summer all the way! But no, it didn't stick.'
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
You know what I love best about snow? ...not a damn thing! That's why I live in Florida! LOL
@moffittjc I could not live someplace that didn't have four distinct seasons!
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marty1 We have four distinct seasons: 1. Hurricane Season 2. Love Bug Season 3. Tourist Season 4. Wildfire Season
@moffittjc What is the love bug season? The other seasons you experience I could go without having them!
I remember one time in snowed in July here. Lasted just a few minutes.
@celticeagle Wow that is amazing! Does Idaho get a lot of snow during the winter? Two years ago it was below zero on the first day of spring here in the morning somewhere in the low 20's in the morning! This year I remember my sister was coming to spend the night at the middle of April to take care of my mom so I could go to sleep and she was so relieved she didn't have to drive it was 17 degrees that night and an ice storm!
@Marty1 ....It gets a good amount. I live in a valley so we don't get a lot here but, they do in the mountains. We used to get a lot more than we usually do now. Enough for the ski resort nearby opens for the holidays and that's about it.
@celticeagle Does the ski resort close in January? Is it because there is only snow in the holiday time or is it because it is a holiday resort? Our ski resorts about two hours east of me stay open until at least March and sometimes longer if the weather is cold enough they will make snow and keep it open for awhile longer! I don't know when they open I think sometime in late October / November
Your snow picture is so attractive to me and it is quite beautiful. Unfortunately we don't have snow here at all in winter. So I am always very interested in it.
@youless I wish I could take a picture and have my area look like this picture, but, alas, it is only a picture in the public domain. So sad you don't see snow. Is the weather cold and you just don't get snow or is it warm during the winter?
@Marty1 Although the lowest temperature is about 3 degrees here, but it is already very cold for us.
@youless is that Celsius 3 degrees. In Fahrenheit it is way, way below freezing. Haven't had it that cold yet this winter!
Yuck. I hate the snow
@NJchicaa Do you get a lot of snow where you live? I hope you have a good winter nd not much snow! I think it is going to be Vermont that gets the most snow because this summer I read something about which towns were predicted to get the most snow this winter and all the towns were in Vermont.
@Marty1 I live close to the ocean so that keeps the temp usually too warm for snow here. We don't get snow often thank goodness. But we do get it.
@NJChicaa I hope you have a mild winter, I am tired of mild winters here, so that is why I am so excited!
@dodo19 (32909)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
We got some snow as well. My kids seem to like the fact it was snowing. My eldest even jumped up and down a couple of times.
@dodo19 That is great your eldest is jumping up and down! Nothing wrong with enthusiasm! Did the kids get a day of school for the snow? Do they get a lot of days off school since I heard it snows a lot in Montreal?
@dodo19 (32909)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Marty1 Well, my kids don't go to school yet, along my eldest will go next year, and my second the year after. So, I'm not sure how it works. But depending on the amount of snow they might, but we'd have to get a lot of snow at once for there to be a snow day. Although we're pretty much equipped for snow. It comes every year so we might as well have everything we need to be as prepared as we can.
@dodo19 My area usually gives delays of to hours and sometimes it gets too cold so they call off school. They don't want the buses to get into an accident.
Enjoy the snow, for me as I am getting older is not so much fun anymore. Like the picture.
@marlina I am sorry snow is not so fun anymore. Hope you have a god winter! I am old myself I am going to be 45 after Christmas =(
@Marty1 I wish I were that young still!
@Marty1 I consider 45 being still young. Enjoy shoveling the snow and remember to go slowly and bend your knees. I used to love shovelling snow, but now it is too hard for me.
@JESSY3236 (6536)
No snow. Just coldness here.
@jessy3236 Do you want it to snow or are you satisfied with the coldness or is snow on your wishlist?
@JESSY3236 (6536)
@Marty1 I don't want it to snow because I'm hoping to go to Las Vegas for Christmas.
@JESSY3236 I think that sounds like a lovely way to spend Christmas! My hamster, Marty, and I were invited to sleep at my sister's house. Is it because you are afraid of your plane not being able to leave or are you worried it will snow in Las Vegas? I hope you get to go to Las Vegas and have fun!
@xstitcher (11567)
• Petaluma, California
Once we got snow here where I live--maybe about 1/2 an inch....
@xstitcher Wow! I didn't know it ever snowed in California! We usually get a couple of inches at a time!
@xstitcher (11567)
• Petaluma, California
@Marty1 It snows in California, we have ski slopes, ya know ! ;) The funny thing was, we're in a valley, so it was REALLY weird when it snowed here. ;)
@xstitcher I forgot the ski slopes! I didn't know it didn't snow in a valley!
If we had snow I'd be complaining...we get maybe three inches over the winter - if that much.
@abbygreenhill If it is a normal winter the average is just shy of 42 inches a winter; The last few winters were mild most of the winter. But this one if going to be a cold, snowy one!
@Marty1 WE left NJ and that year it snowed 43 inches in one day - that was enough.
@AbbyGreenhill Oh my I don;t think there has been that much snow since that year in either the 1940's or 50's when my mom was a little girl. She always talked about that snow which went over her head, and she and all the neighborhood kids had to shovel tunnels under the snow!
@LoriAMoore (4786)
Today's our first "cold" day at 45 degrees F. No snow predicted.
@loriamoore At lunch time my thermometer was 22.4 degrees! It is freezing outside! Did you have warm around 70 degrees temperature like we had at the end of last week?
• , New York
@Marty1 we had tempatures in the lower to mid sixties up until Saturday afternoon. After awhile it seemed that the temperature started dropping off, and the wind picked up with very strong gust so suddenly. Wind, strong
@chooseyourmissy1234 Yes until Saturday we had temps in the 60's Saturday started off at 57 degrees but by 12 or 1 pm it was freezing and freezing rain or sleet, neither my sister nor I could tell. That is why it is not sticking to the sidewalk it is still too hot on the sidewalks!
It snowed here two days in a row but it melted as it hit. We have someone to plow sometimes. But many times we go out and shovel.
@susan2015 I plan on shoveling myself this year We used to have a less than reputable man do it and my sister won't let him do it anymore since I am alone for my first winter! She is a nervous one!!!!
We have to much snow here I am not a fan at all. My son had enjoyed playing in it though. You only write one post each day? I usually only can come up with one to post a day but sometimes more.
@shaggin I sometimes don't post at all on some days. But am trying to post at least one a day. I was thinking of posting one in the morning and evening! I haven' decided, but I will probably do that!
I wish I could get as excited about snow as you are. We only had snow flurries over the weekend which was fine with me.
@marilynda1225 I get excited about everything. I like to call it my enthusiasm. It seems like I am the only one who has so much enthusiasm. Might be too many antidepressants! =) (I do take three of them)
@acelawrites (11043)
We do not have snow in the Philippines; it is a tropical country. I hope I can experience snow in the future (when I could travel).
@acelawrites Hope you get to travel someday and get to experience snow!
@Ceerios (4756)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Marty1 - Friend Dombrowski - You know, the thing that I like most about snow is watching someone else shoveling the doggone stuff, -Gus-
@ceerios It is nice watching but oh, so expensive either depending on the person I choose 10 or 20 dollars per snow! That could add up then suddenly It is no longer fun but rather gives me an ulcer Also I don't have parents anymore and my sister loves a half hour to 45 minutes away so maybe I will give my hamster, Marty, shoveling lessons all he does all day is sleep
Out here IF we get snow we're all in shock and usually the first thing the weather people do is hunt for records. We don't have many because we don't always get snow. We got some last year right about this time of year and I just happened to be awake when it happened at about 3am but by 8am it was all gone and that day turned out warm. There's also that weird thing that happens here, some parts of this county might get snow while other parts will be dry as a bone. Usually if we get snow it's mostly on the mountains.
@rebelann That is what it is like with driving for Pittsburgh in the first snow and even rain the people act like they have never seen it before and there are tons of accidents. But most of the people have been through a winter here before and knew what it is like to drive in these conditions, and yet it is horrible the way the drive! It also happens here where one area can get a big storm, and other areas of the same town could not have any bad weather!