Mug Shot

I normally don't do challenges, but this one I'm doing for @marlina ! This is a mug I received just last Christmas from a fellow mom friend. Normally our kids' friends group exchange family type gifts, but on one particular day, this mom friend arranged for only the moms to enjoy a yoga class together with coffee time afterwards. We each got a gift from her as well. I opened it at home - and to my surprise it was a "personal" gift rather than a family one. It has a cute little fairy with ice skates pulling a teeny dog on a sled and it says "Thank heaven for friends like you". Oh this meant so much to me. Everyone knows I am/was a figure skater, but interestingly it's rare that anyone gets me skating related gifts. It was so thoughtful of my mom friend - I love this mug in more ways than one! Is there a story behind your favorite mug?
• Marion, Kansas
Very cute mug. I do not have a favorite, as all of the others would become jealous.
I normally do not play favorites with mugs either (we have the plain white ones and that's pretty much it) - but this one sure sticks out!
Aww this is a very cute mug :) Great story behind it too!
It makes me smile to use it . . . it's not often I actually like a mug .
@much2say heheh do you put this mug to use often or save it for special days
@infatuatedbby I drink green tea from it almost everyday (just became habit I guess!).
Great story and a great mug. I love it!
Aww thanks! It's from Hallmark - their stuff is usually so endearing!
@much2say yes it is
@sishy7 (27671)
wow, that cute mug is so perfect for you - as good as if it were personalized just for you...
I'm normally not attached to mugs, but I found myself gravitating towards this one from the cabinets all the time. Yes, I love that it actually is skating related - hey, is that fairy me?
@sishy7 (27671)
@much2say Yes, it sure is... I imagine your name printed on the other side of that mug... And I don't remember you saying anything about having a puppy, but you could always get one...
@sishy7 Funny you mentioned the other side . . . I was washing it yesterday and realized I was not able to show the backside which has a skinny tall Christmas tree and another little dog looking up at it. You have such a good memory - you're right we have no pets - and well, for now I can enjoy it on a cup!
Your mug is really cute and glad you joined in the challenge. My mug is just a plain brown one but it holds about two cups of coffee which jump starts me in the morning.
2 cups - that's a biggie! I normally don't have a favorite one - most of ours are plain white ones!!
I all ready post mine a while back.Nice cup there.
Oh, I'll have to look for it! Thanks - I like to have my green tea in it!
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
It's lovely. Great when they have meaning for you.
Yep - most of my other mugs are just plain ol' mugs .
That is a mug you surely will treasure for a long time. Such a thoughtful gift!! I do not have a favorite mug, but I think I just may buy myself one.
Oh yes - I am ever so careful when cleaning this cup - I hope to keep it for a long time. You know how it goes with set cups and mugs . . . eventually you only end up with one. I only get one chance with this one!
@tzwrites (4392)
What a cute little mug and the story behind it is nice too.
I take care of it dearly . . . I don't know where I'd get another should something happen to it!
Thanks so much for participating to my mug challenge. I love your mug and do understand it means so much to you! Original post:
The photo included here with this post is of one of my favorite mugs. I have a lot of mugs and this one reminds me of Spring which I am already thinking of...
Aww, well thanks for suggesting that I do it - and I'm glad I did!
@much2say Was fun, wasn't it?
@marlina It was and now I will think of you when I drink out of this cup too!
well, this dang near made me reach fer my hankie. i'm so glad that she got'cha such a personal gift. some folks jest 'know' whilst others (such's myself) 'm always'n the dark 't seems. there'd be no story 'hind my mug 's 'tis jest an ol' jelly jar :)
Awwww - really? Yah, it's been a long time since anyone actually recognized what I like - so it was much appreciated. Wow, a jelly jar!! Say, if I saved my jars, I could actually have a decent set of mugs!
@much2say yes ma'am, a sentimental day fer me. i'm quite fond 'f jelly jars with handles 'n lids :) perfect fer my tea (the lid) particularly durin' the warmer months when i'm outdoors drinkin' such. keeps the critters outta my smoothies outdoors, too.
@crazyhorseladycx I see those sets at the store . . . the jars or milk bottle types with a cute crate holder - some with straws that fit in a holed lid. I want the sets, but never buy them as it kills me that I can very well put a set together on my own (but again, I never do). Where do you get jars with handles on 'em?
@CRK109 (14212)
Mine is just a green glass mug. No designs. But I've been using this same one every morning for about the last 6 years or so. I love yours! It's very whimsical!
Our normal set of mugs are just plain and white - nothing special. This one sticks out a bit in our cabinets - it's easy to grab. Green glass actually sounds nice!
@CRK109 (14212)
@much2say My dishes are white with little green flowers, so my mug goes well with them. I used to have a lot of different mugs when I lived at my old house. But when I moved I knew I wouldn't have the room so not much came with me. Right now I'm looking for a couple of larger mugs for when friends come by!
@CRK109 Awww - little green flowers design sound so cute! A couple years ago we got rid of a lot of those extra mugs . . . many of them we just kept around in case we needed them, but if anything they just took up storage space. Some larger mugs for ourselves sounds good too!
What a cute cup. How thoughtful of this person. I already did mine.
I know you loved your cup with the frog . If it weren't for this one, I would have mentioned my tiny dog one - but you know it's been long gone and I wouldn't have been able to provide a pic.
@much2say ......I would have enjoyed seeing it. Wish I had a pic of the frog one. It was cute. I looked online and found several pics but none are like the one I had at all.
@celticeagle It's so frustrating when the vision of it is in your head - but it's no where to be found ever again. I remember seeing a Japanese tea set where they were all shaped like potatoes with eyes - it was the funniest thing but now I wished I had bought a set. I've been looking for it - but can't find it anywhere!!
@hereandthere (27795)
i love the little dog on the sled and the embossed snowflake. looks like it's green inside? the mug i'm now regularly using became mine because i kept using it after it first showed up in the kitchen. haha!
Oh - I'm glad you caught the bit of green . . . I did try to include it but didn't think anyone would actually notice (you have a good eye!). So where your mug actually came from is a mystery?
@much2say because i like that shade of green. i have a feeling it's my sister's or my mother's, maybe a gift or a giveaway.
@hereandthere I love that green too! But funny I always thought the inside of that cup should have been blue . Ah, well it's your cup now!
That's a lovely mug and how nice that she took the trouble to find me that really resonated with you and your past love.
It was nice that she found something that suits my interest! And believe me, there are actually a lot of ugly skating related stuff out there - this is actually very cute to me!
@much2say I keep an eye out for music related stuff for our son although I think sometimes he'd like something different.
@JudyEv Growing up as I played piano, I'd sometimes get piano related stuff. I got a kick out of designers who didn't do the research . . . piano keys would be absolutely wrong, or notes would be backwards! . I love finding chocolate music items for my music friends - but that can be a hard find.
@MarymargII (9193)
• Toronto, Ontario
Personalized mugs like that are so cute and thoughtful and it is so true that if they say something that means something to the person they are then extra special!
I've rarely gotten a truly "thoughtful" mug - mug designs given to me have always been sort of holiday generic. This one was a definitely keeper and hope it lasts for a long time!
• Toronto, Ontario
@much2say I didn't know you were so talented and could figure skate- I suppose it takes a lot of concentration. Woohoo for you!
@MarymargII It took a lot of practice but it helped that I was addicted to the sport. When you have an obsession, it makes concentrating a whole lot easier .
@simone10 (21696)
• Louisville, Kentucky
That is such a cute mug! I can see why it is your favorite.
Our normal set of mugs are just white and plain - so this one really sticks out - easy to happily grab and find!
@simone10 (21696)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@much2say We have a lot of white mugs also. Just the other day a friend on myLot sent me a giraffe mug. I was so surprised, touched and happy!
@simone10 Well that was really nice - a thoughtful gift from a fellow myLotter - how awesome is that!
I left all of my mug behind when we moved. No one was special to me anyway . I do not drink coffee or hot tea.
We got rid of all the onesies of random mugs we received, probably for free, from who knows where. Do you have a special cup for your daily drinks?
@much2say No nothing special. We just bought four of everything when we moved here. We got plates, cups etc from dollar tree.
@jstory07 They actually have some nice ceramic ware there!
I am very glad you joined this competition. Your mug is lovely. I also joined this challenge sevearl days ago. I remember my mug was given for free when I bought the toothpaste in a supermarket. A Mylotter reminded me and I realized at that time it was designed for the Olympics in Beijing in 2008
Ah, so it was a commemorative cup then? I love a free item that becomes so useful - well worth the price paid (or not paid) for it .
@much2say In fact some of my mugs are given for free as the promotion
@youless It works - most people will keep it use it for years!!
What a perfect mug for you! I'm not doing the challenge mostly because my photos come out lopsided here. My favorite mug is for tea. I bought it in Chinatown in Shanghai, China. It has a removable insert for brewing tea leaves if I want to go that route, and a lid for keeping the tea warm. It is decorated with a Chinese motif.
I wonder what that is - I remember I had that problem with a photo I posted a while back and I still can't figure out why it did that - the photo is in the correct position where I cropped and saved it. Ohhh - I would love to have a mug like that (I am reading now that it is healthier to brew tea leaves rather than the bag types) - the lid helps to brew the tea better too!
@much2say I am totally illiterate when it comes to technology. I fear it! Thanks for the tip on brewing. I think I will get back into it. It sounds so very proper! Lol!