THE GREAT ESCAPE.

Image by Pixabay
November 30 will be the end of the 2016 Atlantic hurricane season - and I am so relieved that my island escaped being hit by a major storm. Hurricane Sandy in 2012 is still fresh in my mind. Hurricane. An unwanted visitor, it bangs on your door; The bombardment is just beginning , you know there will be more. It sits on the windows and rattles the slats; It seems to be taunting , "how about that ?" I cower in my bathroom and begin to pray; Dear Lord - will I live to see another day? Then comes the calm, oh! what a balm. A respite, however that is much to short; Nature unleashed, one cannot abort. The next round is mightier than before; Will I survive? of that I can't be sure. It whistles and roars with a voice like thunder; How much more can I take ? I wonder. When it finally decides to beat a retreat; I immediately begin to feel upbeat. After all --my house is still standing; Notwithstanding that rather rough handling. I venture outside to inspect the damage; Most of my trees have fallen victim to the rampage. But, I give thanks for life and limb; Awesome, the destruction which can be wrought by wind.
@Freelanzer (6751)
I can only imagine what a scary experience that must be. Happy to hear it missed you this year.
Indeed, I live to fight another year.
I am so glad that your island was not hit by the storm. Everyone there is so lucky.
Yes , and it is so costly and time consuming to pick up the pieces.
@silvermist (17135)
@Kadae11 It is nice that hurricane season in your area is over.It sure is a scary experince.
That is a very well written and descriptive poem. I can not even imagine going through a storm like that.
• New Delhi, India
I'm happy you faced no damage
Mother Nature can be harsh and cruel at times. Nice poem - I'm glad you escaped any structural damage.
@shivamani10 (11156)
• Hyderabad, India
It was really a major disaster.