Room mate started getting her mail

@sallypup (18519)
Moses Lake, Washington
The first stack that arrived in the mail box made her cry. Back medical bill and Social Security sadness- she won't get as much now from her late husband's account. This morning I took her into talk to a financial worker at the welfare office. For sure she must stay with us in safe harbor. She owes on her last apartment plus owns a van that needs a new tranny. She makes so much per month that she will get under twenty dollars a month in food stamps and maybe she will get a bit of help on medical expenses. Again she cried. After that face up on what is what, we hit a couple of thrift stores. She had fun finding crochet needles for cheap and little bits of yarn and such that she can use in her crafting projects. She's such a dear. What a sad end to all her years of hard work- three hundred thousand gobbled up by her husband's medical needs and ultimate goodbye forever.
• Marion, Kansas
Another sad thing is often people who have terminally ill spouses are told to "divorce" them so that they can keep half of their resources. It is hard for people to live.
@sallypup (18519)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@GardenGerty We have such a cruel world.
@sallypup This is horrible
That is very sad - and horrific even - that so much has been taken by medical expenses.
@sallypup (18519)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JudyEv Does your country have a socialist approach to medical care or do folks have to pay with insurance?
@sallypup Everyone is covered by Medicare (I don't know if it's like Obamacare or not). Doctors can 'bulk bill' - send their accounts to medicare to be paid and the individual pays nothing. This is for routine hospital visits. Hospital care is mostly covered too I think and some other expenses. Many have private cover which can cover a lot or a few other expenses depending on the package you choose. From what I've read here it seems much better than what the US has. You don't have to check where you can go to get benefits. If you've covered for optical for instance any licensed optician can be used.
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv That is what we have needed forever, but our conservatives fear "socialized medicine," so things like @sallypup writes about here.
Oh that is sad. Sad and frustrating.
I know what tjhat is although I did not experience it myself. But when my grandson had cancer, there was no help at all from the government. Fortunatly many people helped but they had to pay a lot.
@sallypup (18519)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@marguicha I'm glad your grand son was helped. Being a child and having cancer must be just awful.
@sallypup (18519)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@marguicha My condolences. You and your family have lost a precious life.
@sallypup Thank you. He is still alive in our hearts.
Sorry to hear this, that's just awful.
@sallypup (18519)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TRBRocks420 I am glad my hubby and I are able to be a safety net for her. Its freaky how easy it is to be homeless without food and basics like heat and a roof.
@sallypup Yes, it can happen to anyone.
@sallypup (18519)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TRBRocks420 I try to be a proud American but seeing so many begging people on street corners and seniors without decent food etc. really gets me upset.
@Rohvannyn (3142)
She's a crafter - maybe you could try to make a little money on Etsy. I could help her with how to set up a store and such, and even get her a bunch of free listings.
@sallypup (18519)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Rohvannyn Great idea and thanks! I will mention this idea to her today.
@Rohvannyn (3142)
@sallypup Just let me know if she decides to - normally listings cost twenty cents on etsy but I can send you a link to get her forty free ones. You have a camera, so that's the other thing you'd need.
• Eugene, Oregon
How sad that is for her. She is lucky to have such a good friend as you are.
@sallypup (18519)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Thanks @JamesHxstatic You know what a good friend is? My hubby. He's amazing. He told me that if and when we move to O. roomie can go, too if she needs to. (It can take years for a person to get into senior low income housing.)
• Eugene, Oregon
@sallypup I have heard that. Oregon might be better for her in many ways, I suspect.
that is indeed pretty sad!