"In God We Trust" (but only for the past 60 years)

*somewhere in Washington D.C. 1956* "Hey, Dwight...you wanna drive those Commies nuts? Let's change the Nation's motto...and put it on our paper currency as well. I mean, we added God into the Pledge of Allegiance a couple years ago (1954) so let's just shove Him at EVERYONE now." But it was to be expected. After all...we are (allegedly) given freedom of religion as our Constitutional right...but we were never given freedom from religion. I see some of this "Let's put God back in" yada yada yada crap, and it's like "But He wasn't there to start with." Of course, I realize that is an unpopular view. But it is what it is...
@Morleyhunt (19299)
Interesting. I'll be looking into this. I love it when something piques my curiosity first thing in the morning.
@yugocean (8850)
God save the Queen now it is time to change, may be
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
I think the difference is that the USA is constitutionally a secular country whereas the UK isn't (yet!!). Maybe USA members on here can correct me if I'm wrong on my assertion.
@yugocean (8850)
@WorDazza I ain't from USA, I am from India. However by the word secular, there is different meaning in different countries.
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
@yugocean A secular state/country usually means one in which there is a complete separation of the state from religion. I believe that in the USA it isn't allowed to display anything of a religious nature in public buildings/institutions. This being the case it seems strangely at odds with that policy to have the slogan 'In God We Trust' on their currency.
@topffer (36672)
• Bandar Lampung, Indonesia
Interesting, I did not knew that this motto was recent. I think that you are starting a wrong trial : freedom of religion involves freedom to believe or to not believe in God.
Maybe so, maybe no...you probably don't have Jehovah's Witnesses showing up at your front door...
@topffer (36672)
• Bandar Lampung, Indonesia
@JolietJake They knock times to times.
@yugocean (8850)
@topffer @JolietJake knock knock.... I know of you two
@TheSojourner (17291)
Though I can appreciate some of the Hallmark traditions that religion seemed to give to me, and the idealism that it represents, I am in agreement with you. And I'm more in agreement now that I have taken my philosophy class and seen the history and the reasons why things moved in the directions that they did.
@sugartoes (43844)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I really don't know how to respond to this one but I can say rather you do or don't believe in god that's your business, but I do & will till the day he takes me home... cause I have had some pretty hard times in my life where he has helped me come through them all so, I have more trust in him than man kind on earth that has a way of just using people for their needs & wants that's so sad.
So true - never freedom from religion - ever. I think the US is more tied up with religion than we ever were.
@sabtraversa (13372)
Americans take a lot of pride for being religious, in Italy we aren't that religious although we host the Vatican somehow. We treat Christianity as something traditional, when someone asks to remove crosses or nativity scenes from school or public buildings people go nuts. I believe national pride is a good thing but religion is indeed a personal choice that can't be forced. The US are complex and Christianity wasn't surely the official religion back when Europeans conquered land and tortured the natives. But every decision is going to bother someone, pff.
I think it is odd it is on there, but whatever, lol
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
I've always found it somewhat hypocritical that in a secular country such as the USA they have such guff on their currency.
My grandmother would turn over in her grave. Not the first time either.