Murder in a small town...

By JJ
55 hours ago, an 8 year old female child was found dead here in this town of 9,000. Murdered. And there are many rumors running rampant, and cries of incompetence, and demands that the police tell the public where they are in the investigation. "Why hasn't anyone been arrested yet?" "Why haven't any suspects been named?" This isn't a TV show scripted for a solution to be presented after the next commercial. The rumor mill even has someone walking into WalMart the night of the murder wearing bloody shoes. It has the child either A) waiting at a bus stop for a church van or B) seen getting OFF the bus in front of her house. Of course, neither of these are true. Someone is berating the parents for 'leaving the child outside alone'. Too many rumors being stated as 'fact'. Yes, I hope they 'solve' it soon. No...lacking an eyewitness, I don't expect the solution after the next commercial break.
@crossbones27 (15111)
• Redlands, California
How do we know you did not do it? This post could be just be your way of trying to throw us off your scent. See, expert here and now qualified because I watch a different shows than those. The first 48 hours.
Scar saw me here asleep.
• Redlands, California
@JolietJake OK then, if Scar says so you are clear. lol
@topffer (30674)
• France
You were thinking at an accident in a previous post, is it really a murder ? Putting the responsibility on the parents will not help to solve the case. A DNA analysis done by the police needs 3 to 5 days to get the results here. If the person has already committed a crime, his/her DNA will be in the police files. If not, in a small community like yours it is not impossible to test every inhabitant to find the murderer.
I put an edit on the earlier post when it was announced as a homicide. Actually, yes, it would be impossible, because they are not allowed to indiscriminately test everyone.
@topffer (30674)
• France
@JolietJake People have the right to refuse, but they usually don't when it is to solve a bad crime. 2 years ago the police asked to all the students and employees of a high school to do a DNA test after the rape and murder of a student. They were more than 500, and only 1 refused to do the test. The guilty one was not among the people tested. I am sure you guessed who had some troubles with the police?
@topffer There's a big problem here with people refusing simply on the grounds they feel it is an invasion of their privacy. I, for one, would refuse. They don't have my DNA on file, and they don't need it.
Everyone's an expert after watching a few of those shows, dontcha know?
I'm sure it happens in all towns, but in a small town the rumors/insinuations are all over the map
@JolietJake that would drive me crazy
@NJChicaa It's been a bit hard to keep my mouth shut on some posts I have been seeing on facebook
People are so stupid sometimes. This is a terrible crime but exactly what is the point of giving out a list of suspects - so they can all be lynched just in case?
Or so they can leave town if they are indeed guilty.
@JolietJake I didn't think of that one.
@JudyEv It appears many people haven't
@silvermist (15795)
JoiletJake,Has it been confirmed that it is murder? To many it is an episode in a muder mystery.An 8 year old girl!
Yes, it is being investigated as a homicide.
@silvermist (15795)
@JolietJake Waiting to know what the police come up with.
Indeed! I am sure they are doing all they can. What a sad thing.
A certain type of mentality exists around here that says "I heard such-and-such did it, why haven't they been arrested yet?" Too many people feeding on rumor.
@Morleyhunt (16718)
But isn't it my right as a citizen to know the details. (Tongue in cheek) Even the media is to blame. I have read reports on incidents I have personally witness or been involved in and wonder what the reporter has been smoking? The facts were so distorted.
police case let police do their job
It's just really sad.
So heartbreaking. I hope the find the person responsible for it soon.
people can be dumb, I love those shows too, but..... they are shows. not real life.
People get nervous and think the worst. They might think that it could be a serial killer or child creep and it could happen again. I do so agree with you. Take their time. Some of those tests take a while.
People are so annoying sometimes! Don't they want the correct person caught and as you say convicted, not go free due to a mistake while investigating.
@sabtraversa (9877)
True, there's a huge difference between fiction and reality. Here they would make a profit from such event, until people get tired of it, of course. And no murderer would get arrested in the meanwhile, if someone does, then they find out he/she was innocent and the state has to refund them. Hopefully the justice will do a good job over there. Sorry to hear it was a murder. I don't really get how it could have happened.
Something similar happened in a small village in Italy, they have tested the DNA of everybody. Unfortunately the case is not yet solved, even if they arrested a man with a compatible DAN but with a solid alibi.
@LoriAMoore (10030)
Yes, my retired detective husband hates it when people think that crime solving is like tv and happens in a 60 minute program time.
police case let police do their job