Fidel Castro Dead at 90

@nanette64 (13059)
Fairfield, Texas
One of the longest-running leaders of a country, Fidel Castro led Cuba for 60 years. He outlasted 11 US presidents and 600 assassination attempts. While a lot of his countrymen hated his guts, he did do a few things that were good. He received a law degree and gave free services to the poor. Under his rule, he instituted free medical care and has an extremely high education rate for the country of Cuba and reinstated the Christmas holiday. His brother Raul took over in 2008 due to Fidel's health. So even though he was a pain in the USA's backside, there were a few things he did do as President that warrant looking at.
Fidel Castro, the Cuban despot who famously proclaimed after his arrest in a failed coup attempt that history would absolve him, has died at age 90.
And he invented Castro Oil. Oops...wait...that's Castor oil. Well, he did a hell of a performance in the movie Fidel On The Roof
@nanette64 (13059)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh lordy @JolietJake . Fidel on the roof? I believe that's Fiddler on the Roof. LMAO. Castro Oil? Although I do really think there is an oil on the market called Castro. You are just too dang good.
It is interesting that he was so hated by some, but was admired by others. A complex man he was.
@nanette64 (13059)
• Fairfield, Texas
I kinda think he had some good intentions @Corbin5 . 47 Universities and the lowest mortality rate of any country. Not too bad.
• Denmark
@nanette64 Considering the difficulties Cuba had to face the country did surprisingly well.
@nanette64 (13059)
• Fairfield, Texas
@MALUSE At least some of the things he did resulted on the good side.
He had many more lives than a cat didn't he? 600 assassination attempts - that must surely be a record.
I think that he did not do more bad things than any dictator does, be it a right wing or a leftist dictator. Yet, as you say, cubans there had all access to education and good health. That means a lot, specially in a poor country. Some great countries have their poor with no or little health insurance.
@simone10 (22269)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I've read about him in the past and he did some really horrific things. I can understand why his countrymen hated him.
The best news.He was a monster.The Cuban people in Florida are delighted.He is a dictator and killed and torture many people. Good riddance to him.
@OreoBrownie (3358)
• Winder, Georgia
I never heard anything but bad of him.
@blitzfrick (2996)
Of course he was a pain in the USA's backside from the beginning; he overthrew dictator Batista, who was propped up by the USA, receiving "financial, military, and logistical support" until 1959. [Wikipedia, with references] Batista started out okay, but when he saw he was losing the election in 1952 he led a military coup and started the long downward spiral. The refugees who fled to Florida after Castro's revolution were largely wealthy landowners. Under the guise of repressing Communism, Batista's repressive regime eventually led to his killing of masses of people. More in the link.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This name uses Spanish naming customs: the first or paternal family name is Batista and the second or maternal family name is Zaldívar. Fulgencio Batista 9th and 12th President of Cuba In of
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think he also played baseball in his younger days!
That was a good age to live to. I've no views on the man personally.